E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Drag Race between BMW M5 and Tesla Model S

Quote:
Ezra Dyer pits the Tesla Model S against the BMW M5 in a drag race during Automobile Magazine's 2013 Automobile of the Year testing.
Goes to show that having 100% torque from 0 RPMs makes a difference. It is impressive result for the Tesla with more weight and less power. The M5 makes 100% of it's 500 ft-lbs of torque at an impressively low (for an internal combustion engine) 1500 RPMs. That is almost instant on 100% torque by normal standards, but the Tesla is able to put its 306 ft-lbs down from the flag drop and the results are obvious. Two out of the three races go to Tesla.

Another generation or two of electric cars and batteries and they're going to take the performance crown away from the gas engines we all love.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Here is my problem with this test: driver short shifts in 1st, then lights up almost all of 2nd?

Come on.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
kermitthefloer

My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post
Here is my problem with this test: driver short shifts in 1st, then lights up almost all of 2nd?

Come on.
I thought I was the only one to notice, but still they ran the test 3 times, and the tesla won two. Seems like you would have to perfect shift through out the race to win.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Japanrot_325i

My Ride: 03 325i
Yea the Tesla will win till 120 miles later when you have to stop for 8 hours and charge the batteries ill take the "slow" m5 anyday

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
bohem4e

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheybe View Post

Come on.
Even it it was a perfect shift still no chance... the Tesla has 100% torque from 0 RPMs...
bohem4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
the ONLY reason bmw won the third race is because the tesla needed to charge for a few days

Tags
auto of the year, bmw, bmw news, bmw video, bmw vs tesla, m5 drag race, m5 tesla model s, m5 vs model s, model s, tesla, tesla model s, tesla video