E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Best way to haggle the lowest price @ new car dealer?

Best way to haggle the lowest price @ new car dealer on a car that you want to order....thoughts?

Last edited by Lemonsqr; 10-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Best way to haggle the lowest price @ new car dealer on a car that you want to order....thoughts?
Do it via email/internet.

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 10-10-2012 at 06:26 PM.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
C'mon man, you can go lower a bit. I can only afford it if it were XX,XXX. (make up a lower price, not more than 20%) Then i'll get it. KNow your market, know what you can get it for.

Haggler Level 1
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Lemonsqr

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Do it via email/internet.
Currently doing this. Ive got nothing against talking in person or on the phone, but its just easier with work and all to do it through email.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Lemonsqr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
C'mon man, you can go lower a bit. I can only afford it if it were XX,XXX. (make up a lower price, not more than 20%) Then i'll get it. KNow your market, know what you can get it for.

Haggler Level 1
you mean the factory/dealer invoice? I might be able to get him within $1000, but might have to try the Griff approach...
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Just call and say "blah blah dealership offered me $750 over invoice. If you can do $500 over I'll bring my business to you guys instead".

Edit: that only works for new - and also typically near the end of the month is better. Salesmen will take mini's easier if it'll bump their numbers up or put them in a new pay tier.

Last edited by benjamin1; 10-10-2012 at 06:36 PM.
benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
ask jonjon
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Haggle? people still haggle? Find the tissue for the car (everywhere online) and then tell them how much over invoice your going to pay them. They will probably say no at first, and then call you the next day saying come down and get the car.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
What my dad does and it always works is say your buying a car that day no questions asked wether its from their dealer or somewhere else(they'll know your serious and will lose out on a sale if they don't work with you) then tell them you were given a better deal somewhere else. Lastly don't be excited to receive the car until AFTER you get the keys. This shows you like the car but your not going to compromise the amount you wanted to pay.

That is the technique my father uses all the time works with new and used. He just bought a new 2012 ford 250 Laramie with all options for 52k out the door. Sticker price was 59k
And I got my used 09 corvette this way for 27k original asking price was 36k.

Hope this helps
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
that you want to special order? Good luck, but you're kind of behind the 8 ball in that case.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
Ridinbimmerz or whatever his name is can answer better than most. It all depends on the dealership though.

We're a slow Nissan dealership with 7 others within 35 miles of us - so it doesn't take much to get us to bend over backwards.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
I did the email thing when special ordering our new 2013 X3. I got it for $400 below invoice. It was $2650 below invoice if you count the rebates.

They all want you to come in, discuss on the phone etc. Say no and insist on getting a price via email. Then take that email and get counter offers from other dealers. I had 3 dealers underbidding each other towards the end. It works better if you have many dealerships around you.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
if they arent bending, walk out.

most of the time they'll call u and beg for your business. from there, you're in the driver's seat (pun intended)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
nineeight9898

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Xxe
nineeight9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
A. The invoice you negotiate above is a fake invoice. So don't walk out like you beat the system.
B. This is the best way to negotiate, though. Dealers won't go under their "fake" invoice, it's their limit that most don't know about anyways.
C. Cash is irrelevant these days.
D. Show no emotion, don't express a dire need for the car.
E. Research before you walk in.
F. Have other options from other dealers.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
guest1008
Banned User

My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Check edmunds.com to see about any rebates that aren't published to the public. Factory to dealer, etc. That can easily get you under invoice. Edmunds also has good pricing threads for the vehicle you're looking at. Great to help you figure out what the market price is for your area.

It may or may not be worth haggling over the holdback since it is there for a legit reason.

After that, e-mail/internet. Bought my last two cars via e-mail/internet. Easy as pie. E-mailed or contacted via their website every dealer I was willing to go to. I only responded to those offering quotes. I ignored all those asking me to come in with no quote. I also ignored those whose quote was way too high. After a few hours, it was clear there were about 3 dealers worth negotiating with. Just e-mailed back and forth a little. Eventually, it came down to one because he would negotiate accessories I wanted as well. He ended up negotiating with himself.

All in all, it took roughly 24 hours to get to the final dealer. That was with both cars. For this last one, I spent a few more days cuz I kept wanting more accessories and would negotiate with him on those. If I knew exactly what I wanted, like on my first car, the process was done within 24 hours.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Haggle? people still haggle? Find the tissue for the car (everywhere online) and then tell them how much over invoice your going to pay them. They will probably say no at first, and then call you the next day saying come down and get the car.
do you know what haggling is?

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
I definitely agree with what codex is saying. Once you know what car you want, you are good to go. I recently bought a new car for my wife and did pretty much all the negotiations via email. Dealers that wouldn't budge got disregarded. Edmunds is a good resource for true market value and incentives.

In terms of cash being irrelevant, I got $3k off the negotiated price as a cash incentive so that may be applicable. They were offering that or 0% (for 3k more on the principle plus tax on that 3k).
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Lemonsqr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANREC330 View Post
What my dad does and it always works is say your buying a car that day no questions asked wether its from their dealer or somewhere else(they'll know your serious and will lose out on a sale if they don't work with you) then tell them you were given a better deal somewhere else. Lastly don't be excited to receive the car until AFTER you get the keys. This shows you like the car but your not going to compromise the amount you wanted to pay.

That is the technique my father uses all the time works with new and used. He just bought a new 2012 ford 250 Laramie with all options for 52k out the door. Sticker price was 59k
And I got my used 09 corvette this way for 27k original asking price was 36k.

Hope this helps
Well I can see how this might work for a car that is on the lot, but I'm trying to negotiate one that is not. Your dad must be good at poker....poker face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
I did the email thing when special ordering our new 2013 X3. I got it for $400 below invoice. It was $2650 below invoice if you count the rebates.

They all want you to come in, discuss on the phone etc. Say no and insist on getting a price via email. Then take that email and get counter offers from other dealers. I had 3 dealers underbidding each other towards the end. It works better if you have many dealerships around you.
Thats d amn good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Check edmunds.com to see about any rebates that aren't published to the public. Factory to dealer, etc. That can easily get you under invoice. Edmunds also has good pricing threads for the vehicle you're looking at. Great to help you figure out what the market price is for your area.

It may or may not be worth haggling over the holdback since it is there for a legit reason.

After that, e-mail/internet. Bought my last two cars via e-mail/internet. Easy as pie. E-mailed or contacted via their website every dealer I was willing to go to. I only responded to those offering quotes. I ignored all those asking me to come in with no quote. I also ignored those whose quote was way too high. After a few hours, it was clear there were about 3 dealers worth negotiating with. Just e-mailed back and forth a little. Eventually, it came down to one because he would negotiate accessories I wanted as well. He ended up negotiating with himself.

All in all, it took roughly 24 hours to get to the final dealer. That was with both cars. For this last one, I spent a few more days cuz I kept wanting more accessories and would negotiate with him on those. If I knew exactly what I wanted, like on my first car, the process was done within 24 hours.

OK, so who do I write to if I am going to use the internet approach? The internet sales guy? I am currently emailing a guy at one dealership because I met him when I did a test drive. FYI, I'm looking into ordering a GTI or MINI Clubman S.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
Hedges

My Ride: C63 AMG
Show them your boobs!