E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Inductor placement?

I have been searching the net for inductor placement as pertains to before the amp or after the amp. I just see after the amp. Can someone explain before vs after?
sfcjetjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
Are you refering to an inductor when used as a passive filter for low frequencies? Befor trying to answer your question, I would like to ask how you plan on using it and why. If at all possible, I would rather you use an amp with a built in active low pass filter, or an active x-over before the amp.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I was going to use the inductor for a specific frequency. My amp only has HP and LP mode. And do not like the xo point for LP. And really don't want to pony up a few ducks for another amp that has adjustable LP xo. Just want to use amp for full range, bridged, 2 ohm, dual voice coil, 10" sub. Presumed, a simple inductor added to setup would be be cheaper than amp. Plus I could get the inductor for a specific point instead of being limited to the LP filter on amp. So before amp or after amp and the physics of why one way vs the other.
sfcjetjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
When you say you do not like the x-over point, is it higher than you would like? I am going to tell you a few things: 1. My experience with active and passive filters. 2. A basic explanation of what you are asking. 3. Try it out so you can see( hear) it for yourself.

I first used an inductor when I was 15 and could not afford a better amp or active x-over...... I NEVER used one again. They are just not versatile. I say that kindly. The main problem is the amount of slope a single inductor can give you. the crossover slope for an inductor is 6 dB/octave. What that means is that a lot of unwanted frequencies get through. HOWEVER, if you use a bandpass enclosure, 4/6 order for example, now an inductor works well.

Are you using the pre-amp (rca) outputs from your deck to your sub amp? Well if so, how would you then connect the inductor to the rca.The inductor has no rca connections. An inductor goes in series with the subwoofer on the output side of the amp. I have heard of ( but never used) a passive line level x-over, and that goes before the amp, but it's not a single inductor, it's a few components eg.. capacitors, resistors, inductors, etc...

My suggestion to you is this: Connect your sub setup how you have intended. Set the amps x-over at full range and use the inductor (after the amp). Test it out, tweak your gain, face your sub in various directions till you find which way gives you the most cabin gain, basically just see how it hits. After that, take the inductor out of the equation, and set your lp filter and run the same test. This time tweak your lp filter setting as well as all the other adjustment I mentioned above until you find the best sound. I'm confident that you will like the way the lp filter on the amp performs versus the inductor.

Honestly, it would take a 300 pg book to get a decent grasp on filters, active, passive, digital, etc. These things are seriously complex. They involve things like phase shift, amplitude change, dealing with fluctuating impedances and blah blah blah. Seriously, it's gets very confusing very fast.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote