E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Mhnd

My Ride: 330XI
VANOS seals yes or no?

My car (2004 330xi) is due for VCG and Oil filter housing gasket due to oil leaks, should I do the VANOS seals even though there are no signs or symptoms of failure and no codes? Recently I've been experiencing a lower torque (lack of power) in the lower RPM! Will i gain the lost torque in the lower RPM if VANOS is done? The car has 142K, had it for two years now and no history of prior maintenance! The car had 124k when I bought it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mhnd

Last edited by Mhnd; 10-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Mhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Do the seals. For $60, why not?

Don't know if it'll help your power loss or not but it certainly can't hurt...unless you fvck it up.

If you are experiencing lower torque down low then also check your DISA valve for proper operation.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-11-2012 at 01:28 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Change them along with everything listed in the DIY on their site.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Mhnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Do the seals. For $60, why not?

Don't know if it'll help your power loss or not but it certainly can't hurt...unless you fvck it up.

If you are experiencing lower torque down low then also check your DISA valve for proper operation.
How can I check the DISA, any DIY?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Yes!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
I'd say it's pretty likely that your seals are not functioning properly. Either way though for 60 bucks there is no reason not to do it, unless you are afraid of screwing something up.

I just did seals and while I'm not a big fan of the butt dyno it seems to be pulling harder down low.

Last edited by Wh33lhop; 10-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
GeoffS

My Ride: '08 X3 6MT/135i 6MT
Either DIY the seals yourself, or pick up a refurbed unit from Dr. Vanos. When we pulled my seals out, they were brittle, but not broken. Initially, I didn't notice a HP difference, but over a few weeks, the car seemed to feel stronger. I don't have any dyno proof of it though.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Mhnd

Looking at the DIY it doesn't look like a very complicated job to do and no special tools are required so I might just have to do it and get it off the maintenance list

I did my starter just about two weeks ago which took about 6 hours to complete all from above so hopefully this won't be as bad !!

Last edited by Mhnd; 10-11-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhnd View Post
How can I check the DISA, any DIY?

Thanks!
Pull the DISA out, check that the flap isn't well...flapping around freely. It should be tight and return to it's neutral position when pressure is released. I don't remember if neutral is open or closed.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Mhnd

Quote:
Pull the DISA out, check that the flap isn't well...flapping around freely. It should be tight and return to it's neutral position when pressure is released. I don't remember if neutral is open or closed.
Will do, thanks!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I vote yes. Best to time it with a mechanical to electric fan retrofit and a replacement of a valve cover gasket.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Mhnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
I vote yes. Best to time it with a mechanical to electric fan retrofit and a replacement of a valve cover gasket.
what will be the advantage of the fan swap? I will do the VCG and the OFHG at the same time though but I'm not sure if I want to replace the mechanical fan to an electrical one !!

Last edited by Mhnd; 10-11-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
SamDoe1

Quote:
what will be the advantage of the fan swap? I will do the VCG and the OFHG at the same time though but I'm not sure if I want to replace the mechanical fan to an electrical one !!
1.) You will never need a fan clutch tool ever again.
2.) You never have to worry about fan clutch going out.
3.) You can be cool like the MT guys.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 10-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
if your pcv hasn't been done yet, i'd recommend doing it as well, it's easier with the alternator off. Also if you're yanking the disa valve, grab an aftermarket o-ring for it (rocket seals sell them i think, do a google search for the exact part), they often leak and cause fuel trims to go south. FWIW my car picked up a good bit of mid-range after doing the vanos rebuild.

Last edited by redbull 325is; 10-11-2012 at 10:46 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Mhnd

Quote:
1.) You will never need a fan clutch tool ever again.
2.) You never have to worry about fan clutch going out.
3.) You can be cool like the MT guys.
Thanks for info I will add it to my do list ......
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Mhnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
if your pcv hasn't been done yet, i'd recommend doing it as well, it's easier with the alternator off. Also if you're yanking the disa valve, grab an aftermarket o-ring for it (rocket seals sell them i think, do a google search for the exact part), they often leak and cause fuel trims to go south. FWIW my car picked up a good bit of mid-range after doing the vanos rebuild.
I haven't done the PCV and not sure if the prior owner did the work or not! l only had this car for two years and no records of maintenance history prior to that
My car idle is fine. What other symptoms of a failing PVC?

Thanks for the advice
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
SamDoe1

Quote:
I haven't done the PCV and not sure if the prior owner did the work or not! l only had this car for two years and no records of maintenance history prior to that
My car idle is fine. What other symptoms of a failing PVC?

Thanks for the advice
PCV Valve = Positive crankcase ventilation valve

On our cars, you have probably heard it referred to the crankcase vent valve (CCV) or oil separator. You don't need to replace till you have a problem and those include excessive burning of oil and/or leaks down the lower driver's side of the engine compartment.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
PCV Valve = Positive crankcase ventilation valve

On our cars, you have probably heard it referred to the crankcase vent valve (CCV) or oil separator. You don't need to replace till you have a problem and those include excessive burning of oil and/or leaks down the lower driver's side of the engine compartment.
Sometimes a bad pcv will not cause oil issues, but the bad membrane will allow for extra un-metered air to enter the intake manifold from the crankcase and cause the fuel trims to be off. With that in mind and how cheap they are (under $200) i'd definitly do it before the car starts misfiring like a pig and throwing cels.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #19
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Let's point out CCV is slightly more than a fast and easy change out. These systems are fussy. The thing is a plastic array of plumbing that has challenged even good DIY's. Early years have other considerations and upgrade options. Basically, It's a "catch can" recovery system that returns blow-by oil back to the crankcase. That sounds straight forward but things needing research include narrow diameter dipstick passages known to freeze and clog the return in cold weather and insulated tube sleeves added with the "cold-weather" kit. Your order may need these "fixes" with upgraded part numbers.

The parts require creative technique to install. There are several tips on pre-connecting pipes and fiddly bits to learn the feel before attempting it blind on the car. Guys have cheated the slightly warped tubeage with heat-guns to allow fitment. Others have forced things to sort of fit hoping engine heat will form them into alignment. Just sayin' this should not be represented as a quick and dirty install.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Mhnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
Sometimes a bad pcv will not cause oil issues, but the bad membrane will allow for extra un-metered air to enter the intake manifold from the crankcase and cause the fuel trims to be off. With that in mind and how cheap they are (under $200) i'd definitly do it before the car starts misfiring like a pig and throwing cels.
Do I need to upgrade the CCV to the cold weather kit? And what's the difference and gain benefit?

Thanks much!

Last edited by Mhnd; 10-15-2012 at 08:29 AM.