E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thender View Post
this is true...traveling without someone else really sucks. Usually when i travel i am with a small team so there is company for meals and people to drink with after the meetings. When i have to go solo it almost always sucks.
+1

Quote:
"I think it's very important to have a feedback loop, where you're constantly thinking about what you've done and how you could be doing it better. I think that's the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Its way more tiring than you think, and will wear you down if you travel too much.

the exposure to meet different people, visit places you normally wouldn't is awesome.

solo dinner does suck, but most fairly busy hotels will have interesting people at the bar (if the hotel has a bar).

last year i probably went out of town about 12 weeks or so.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #23
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Agreed with those above....traveling for work is not as exciting as it sounds. Use to travel 25% to 50% with a former company. The cons definitely are greater than the pros.

-Eating poorly
-Away from friends / family
-giving company free work on your time (uncompensated travel time)
-airport / travel frustration....delays, connections, lost luggage, etc.
-always exciting sitting at the hotel bar or dinner table alone
-chances for on-the-road hookups are not as great as you'd think

That said, I'll be on the West coast all next week doing vendor audits.
It also depends what you're traveling for. I do my "work" at my office and, when I'm on the road, it's marketing and entertaining. When my time on the road ends up being hanging out with cool people in a high end restaurant, eating well, and having a few drinks, it's not so bad.

I've got several friends who are auditors though. Many of them hate it. If I wasn't entertaining people on someone else's dollar, I'd have a much different view of traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
This is true...traveling without someone else really sucks. Usually when I travel I am with a small team so there is company for meals and people to drink with after the meetings. When I have to go solo it almost always sucks.
Traveling alone is "meh." Traveling with someone is either GREAT or AWFUL.

I'm good friends with my boss, so it's a ton of fun traveling. At my last company, my boss would an intolerable ass and I dreaded even being in the same room as him...nevermind on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm looking forward to some business travel with my new job
Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
GDA

My Ride: M5, 325i and 330i
If you travel it takes you away from your things you are most interested in such as for me:

cycling with friends
working on my cars in my own garage
solid relationship with a cool chick
watching sports over beers with friends during the week
staying on top of rental homes during the week so my weekends are still free

Think about your hobbies and other personal items like mail, bills laundry and other such bs and now start thinking of always having to deal with that crap on Sat or Sunday sometime before having to hit the road again Sunday evening or Monday morning 7 am flight. It will turn your weekend into a one night event.

Also, depending on the city you live in there can be up to 20 to 30 percent of the time your flight back on Friday could be hacked up with delays and such so you end up getting home well after 6 or 7pm on Friday night.

I've lived on the road for a 3 year stint and another tour closer to 18 months so hit me up if you have any specific questions in PM.

Last edited by GDA; 10-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I used to travel mostly back and forth from MN to Puerto Rico 50% when I was single and it was cool for about 6 months, after that it started to suck. I have to admit I had some good times and met some people that I still keep in touch with, but I wouldn't do it again unless my pay was doubled. The whole airport/hotel/rental car thing starts to be a huge hassle and being away is a good way to put distance between you and the friends/family you actually want to hang out with.
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Go watch Up in The Air!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
imapimp

My Ride: 2002.5 AV6 6MT 04M3
What are some of your jobs/companies you guys work for that have that much travel? I think it has more to do with the job and company than where you are going.
imapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapimp View Post
What are some of your jobs/companies you guys work for that have that much travel? I think it has more to do with the job and company than where you are going.

I'm a product development engineer for my company. Most of the time when I'm traveling it's to:

A. Provide technical support for our sales group when meeting with customers
B. Meet with customer's technical groups and engineers to discuss new business
C. Attend and provide technical support for my products at the customer's facilities
D. Attend tradeshows, expos, seminars, etc.
E. Attend corporate meetings and conferences
F. Conduct testing and studies at supplier and/or university laboratories

Quote:
"I think it's very important to have a feedback loop, where you're constantly thinking about what you've done and how you could be doing it better. I think that's the single best piece of advice: constantly think about how you could be doing things better and questioning yourself."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 10-11-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #31
Ynot

My Ride: 997
My last job, I had the opportunity to travel once a month. I was always asked to go first but I dont have to and can defer it to another coworker. I enjoyed it especially when it's international travel. I get to meet other teammates from around the world and nation wide. All expense paid for by the company. Once a month is cool, I can't imagine traveling more than that.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Evidence

My Ride: sold
Send a message via AIM to Evidence
cool....thanks for all the info
Evidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #33
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence View Post
cool....thanks for all the info
What will you be doing for work?

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
****, I already do this stuff without getting paid. It'd be great to have a job traveling on someone else's dime.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
****, I already do this stuff without getting paid. It'd be great to have a job traveling on someone else's dime.
It's alright.

Coporate boondoggles are the best but are rare.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
It's alright.

Coporate boondoggles are the best but are rare.
It wasn't until I opened my own little practice and had to pay for everything myself that I started to look back on some of the corporate events I went to in the past and realized how expensive they must have been.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
It wasn't until I opened my own little practice and had to pay for everything myself that I started to look back on some of the corporate events I went to in the past and realized how expensive they must have been.
I've overheard a few times just how expensive the company's bar tab is at these functions. Probably enough for my college buddies and I to drink for a few years on end.

It can get pricey quick.

Quote:

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 10-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I've overheard a few times just how expensive the company's bar tab is at these functions. Probably enough for my college buddies and I to drink for a few years on end.

It can get pricey quick.
I have had many nights entertaining partners and clients where the tab was well in excess of $1K for just a handful of people. Dining and drinking on someone else's dime is always nice
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #39
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
I start a new job monday, I may have to do some travelling to remote locations like China and Russia. Kinda excited!

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #40
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
But hey, it's all deductible, it's your responsibility to run up that tab!