E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #61
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: ...a stairclimber!
I'll just say this......I have a friend who was employed in law enforcement and regularly sold drugs to Armstrong (..mostly through a 3rd party contact, but on a couple of occasions in person). He lost his job over dealing drugs (..steroids) to other law enforcement personnel from line officers up to management. It sucks, but at least he avoided long-term jail sentencing without ratting out the officers that he sold to. He truly took one for the team, and while I'll never condone the sell - nor the use - of illegal substances, I have to respect the fact that he chose to plead the 5th rather than toss others under the bus because he got caught.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #62
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
It's like, he saw the future...

Say what again. Say What AGAIN! I DARE YA, I DOUBLE DARE YA MOTHAFCUKA! SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enter
It's a social thing guys get over it. My mom said in Chinese culture the longer your hair down there is the higher class you are, and my mom is one of the classiest ladies i know.
TruckDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #63
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I'll just say this......I have a friend who was employed in law enforcement and regularly sold drugs to Armstrong (..mostly through a 3rd party contact, but on a couple of occasions in person). He lost his job over dealing drugs (..steroids) to other law enforcement personnel from line officers up to management. It sucks, but at least he avoided long-term jail sentencing without ratting out the officers that he sold to. He truly took one for the team, and while I'll never condone the sell - nor the use - of illegal substances, I have to respect the fact that he chose to plead the 5th rather than toss others under the bus because he got caught.
So you fully believe and do not question the claims of a crooked cop drug dealer who bought into some misplace sense of duty to protect other crooked cops drug users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #64
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
So you fully believe and do not question the claims of a crooked cop drug dealer who bought into some misplace sense of duty to protect other crooked cops drug users?
I wouldn't go that far at all. My previous statement was very surface, and devoid of particulars purposefully (..this is a public forum). Shoot me a text if you want details.

For those who will only be privy to my surface statement, let me state this: I do not personally consider the use of steriods to be of any detriment to society. I will never use them, but there are far worse transgressions.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #65
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Please, that's just cops protecting cops. Nothing new.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #66
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Please, that's just cops protecting cops. Nothing new.
We view this situation differently. This isn't necessarily a thin blue line situation. Nonetheless it sucks for Armstrong, but we are all held accountable for the decisions that we make (..sooner or later). The steroid use in a competitive environment will forever overshadow his accomplishments.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-11-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #67
T R E

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB24 View Post
for anyone still on the fence, you should read his teammates affidavit
http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net...+Affidavit.pdf

wow. those tests did truly suck.

so, was it cheating, if it was done under the amount that was detectible? (ha, suckers question, I know.)

and another E46 subframe defect victim.
T R E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #68
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
The affidavit was an interesting read, to say the least.

Taken responsibly, I see no problem with diligent and well-researched steroid use. Like dwass mentioned, people fear what they don't understand and draw conclusions based on opinions that are usually uninformed and complety irrational.

Also, after reading the affidavit I can't help but feel for the guy. I mean here he is watching the overwhelming majority of his competition partaking in PEDs and soaring past him, not to mention that nearly every colleague/teamate on the various teams he rode for either used or encouraged the use of PEDs. Its a bit of a no-win situation for them. They're held to these unbelievable standards (which, arguably, could have been a result of unknown PED use at the time). If they decide to stay out of it and go natural then they suck to their fans (and country) once they start losing to everybody. If they decide to take the drugs then they are parriahs and charlatans once they are caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #69
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
The affidavit was an interesting read, to say the least.

Taken responsibly, I see no problem with diligent and well-researched steroid use. Like dwass mentioned, people fear what they don't understand and draw conclusions based on opinions that are usually uninformed and complety irrational.

Also, after reading the affidavit I can't help but feel for the guy. I mean here he is watching the overwhelming majority of his competition partaking in PEDs and soaring past him, not to mention that nearly every colleague/teamate on the various teams he rode for either used or encouraged the use of PEDs. Its a bit of a no-win situation for them. They're held to these unbelievable standards (which, arguably, could have been a result of unknown PED use at the time). If they decide to stay out of it and go natural then they suck to their fans (and country) once they start losing to everybody. If they decide to take the drugs then they are parriahs and charlatans once they are caught.
To completely oversimplify the situation, here are the choices:

- Continue to attempt to prevent athletes from using PEDs. We kinda know the upsides and downsides to this because it's what's currently going on.

- Quit trying to keep PEDs out of sports. Obviously the whole "is he cheating" question goes away. But here are the two main problems I anticipate coming out of that immediately: #1 many sports will turn into an arms race between who's got the better pharmacist, and #2 at what age will we allow kids to start taking PEDs and how are we going to manage that transition? For example, if we say you can't take PEDs until you're 18, what's that going to do to the transition from being a high school senior athlete to being a college freshman athlete? It also raises the question that success in sports may be slanted more towards those that can afford to have a "proper" PED program. That would raise issues about low-income athletes putting themselves at risk by "having to" deal with shady PEDs or low-quality programs in order to compete.

- Split sports into "natural" and "anything goes" leagues. The issue here is that a lot of sports simply can't survive as pro leagues if they lose half their fan base/dollars when they split.

There are issues no matter which way it's done. And none of this touches on the moral or ethical dilemma presented by athletes that harm their long term health through the usage of PEDs.

If NFL athletes can sue the league for the long term health affects of concussions, what would the lawsuits for sanctioned PED usage look like 10, 20, 40 years from now?

Honestly, I'd be willing to look at option 2 or 3, but I think there are a lot of problems that would need solutions before a sport could move that direction.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #70
M3Inline6

Interesting debate/perspectives.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App
Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 AM   #71
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
i'm grateful for LiveStrong.com though, which i read for quick health & nutrition info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #72
ATB24

My Ride: '03 330i
Here is another great read: http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net...+Affidavit.pdf

all the info can be found here: http://cyclinginvestigation.usada.org/

I will say this, NO ONE should feel like they need to take anything to be competitive, lots of people say, "oh let them take whatever they want, blah, blah", but as an athlete you shouldn't be forced to do so to remain competitive.
ATB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #73
M3Inline6

Quote:
Here is another great read: http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net...+Affidavit.pdf

all the info can be found here: http://cyclinginvestigation.usada.org/

I will say this, NO ONE should feel like they need to take anything to be competitive, lots of people say, "oh let them take whatever they want, blah, blah", but as an athlete you shouldn't be forced to do so to remain competitive.

In its simplicity, yes, I agree. Unfortunately performance enchancing drugs are so ingrained into the ethos of competitive sports that a truly drug-free environment is a pipe dream.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #74
dwass325

Quote:
In its simplicity, yes, I agree. Unfortunately performance enchancing drugs are so ingrained into the ethos of competitive sports that a truly drug-free environment is a pipe dream.
Nevermind the fact that most people base their anti-PED arguments on "level playing field" ideas. Until we ban people with unusually high growth hormone levels, high testosterone levels, XYY males, etc...the idea of a level playing field is a farce.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #75
M3Inline6

Quote:
Nevermind the fact that most people base their anti-PED arguments on "level playing field" ideas. Until we ban people with unusually high growth hormone levels, high testosterone levels, XYY males, etc...the idea of a level playing field is a farce.

Totally agree! The field is NEVER completely level.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-12-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #76
ATB24

My Ride: '03 330i
Quote:

i think that is the point of being "talented" and "gifted". It's what separates the top .0001% from their competitors. Why ban someone with unusually high test or an amazing vo2max? It's like cheating to get into harvard because I'm not smart enough and I want to "level the playing field".
ATB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #77
dwass325

Quote:
i think that is the point of being "talented" and "gifted". It's what separates the top .0001% from their competitors. Why ban someone with unusually high test or an amazing vo2max? It's like cheating to get into harvard because I'm not smart enough and I want to "level the playing field".
I'm not suggesting we ban genetic freaks. I'm suggesting, if someone has an advantage that's easily replicable through science, we allow the others to match that advantage.

Quote:

Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #78
AfghanScarface

Lance Armstrong doesn't do what Lance Armstrong does for Lance Armstrong.

Lance Armstrong does what Lance Armstrong does because Lance Armstrong is Lance Armstrong.

Quote:
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

Last edited by AfghanScarface; 10-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #79
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I'm not suggesting we ban genetic freaks. I'm suggesting, if someone has an advantage that's easily replicable through science, we allow the others to match that advantage.
We could debate that principle for a while and I bet we'd find a lot of common ground.

But in practice, doesn't that sound like a potential mess? Whose HGH or testosterone levels will athletes be allowed to match via supplements? The highest ever? The highest that season? If we establish a "norm", are we going to have a handicapping method for those that are naturally higher than the norm?

Biochemistry and it's resultant abilities is a complex equation. Are we very quickly just going to let an athlete supplement their biochemistry until they can achieve certain resullts? If you can run a 4.4 naturally, you're done, but if you run a 4.6, you can use whatever you need to use until you can run a 4.4?

I realize that it might take several hundred posts if we got really into detail, but just in a general sense, how do you envision such a system being implemented?

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #80
AfghanScarface

Any more affidavits from the other riders?

Quote: