E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #81
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Can't wait. I'll be wearing that all around the house.

Heading back home for school break. Since I didn't have time to apply for my CHL after I took the class, going next day and applying.

My Raven Phantom holster should be near complete along with my leather gun belt.

Selling my M&P40c (that has a thumb safety) and getting a M&P40c w/out Mag Safety or Thumb Safety and Crimson Trace Grips...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #82
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
So what is the general consensus on Appendix carry and holsters like the Raven Vanguard II?

Pros: I like the idea of its simplistic design, and think it would be ideal for summer time carry

Cons: I'm thinking it might be uncomfortable to sit down?

Plus I'm not too warm on the idea of having a loaded weapon pointed in the general direction of "Ghostie snr"

Thoughts?

Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #83
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i, 00 528i
Carrying in the 1230-130 position depends on your gun, your holster, and your belly. If you have little to no belly then you can get a holster the holds the gun higher, thus reducing the possible discomfort of sitting. However, if you like beer like I do, then a high ride one will only make your gun print where as a low ride will use the "drapes" from your gut to hang over your pistol and make it nearly impossible to see. I can carry my SA XD40 and only have minimal discomfort sitting if I have it adjusted well, and I can carry my kel tec pf9 very easily and sit just fine. I can't speak to that holster, but I have the desantis invisible agent that works with both guns and is very comfortable. The only downside is retention is highly dependent on your belt, so if you have to take a crap, make sure you hold onto your gun.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #84
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Ghostie, was IWB are you using with your PPS?
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #85
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Appendix carry is a shooter-preference thing. I've tried it, but I spend so much time sitting in a car that it gets uncomfortable. I personally can only carry a gun in the 3:00-5:00. It is touted as a faster and more efficient way to draw for most people, and from my experience it is. I would have no problem doing it if I were going to be on my feet all day, but for any sitting and driving, I'd tempted to take it off. Obviously, the smaller the gun, the better and more comfortable it is. One of those things that you won't know if you like it until you try it, I think.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #86
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Ghostie, was IWB are you using with your PPS?
I ordered a Custom Kydex holster from Secret City Weaponeers which should be here next week...in the mean time, I've been alternating between a Galco Summer Comfort and a Galco King tuk for IWB. Though since the weather still permits a light jacket on some days, I mostly go OWB using a Desantis Speed Scabard.

I'm also planning to experiment with the Comp-tac Infidel/Two o'clock, RCS Vanguard and Phantom in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpass View Post
Carrying in the 1230-130 position depends on your gun, your holster, and your belly. If you have little to no belly then you can get a holster the holds the gun higher, thus reducing the possible discomfort of sitting. However, if you like beer like I do, then a high ride one will only make your gun print where as a low ride will use the "drapes" from your gut to hang over your pistol and make it nearly impossible to see. I can carry my SA XD40 and only have minimal discomfort sitting if I have it adjusted well, and I can carry my kel tec pf9 very easily and sit just fine. I can't speak to that holster, but I have the desantis invisible agent that works with both guns and is very comfortable. The only downside is retention is highly dependent on your belt, so if you have to take a crap, make sure you hold onto your gun.
Quote:
Appendix carry is a shooter-preference thing. I've tried it, but I spend so much time sitting in a car that it gets uncomfortable. I personally can only carry a gun in the 3:00-5:00. It is touted as a faster and more efficient way to draw for most people, and from my experience it is. I would have no problem doing it if I were going to be on my feet all day, but for any sitting and driving, I'd tempted to take it off. Obviously, the smaller the gun, the better and more comfortable it is. One of those things that you won't know if you like it until you try it, I think.
What is? AIWB or 3:00-5:00?

Sounds like it could work for weekends when I do a lot of walking around, but not during the week when I'm mostly sitting or driving.

I will probably give it a shot over summer.....I like the 3.30 position, but I wear my t-shirts pretty fitted, and sometimes I get some noticeable printing if they are lighter colored
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #87
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post

What is? AIWB or 3:00-5:00?
Sorry. I was pretty scatter-brained when I typed that. I was referring to index carry.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #88
Ghostie

Got my K-25 from Secret City Weaponeers today...excellent craftsmanship and finish.

I still need to experiment to find the sweet spot, but initial IWB testing points to it being too big to fit flush around the body (no fault of the Holster itself, I just apparently have a small waist)

Will wait till my Beltman belt gets here in a few days for a final verdict though

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #89
Ghostie

Just ordered a Comptac Mtac Minotaur for the PPS (went into production this morning)

It turns out carrying IWB with a Kydex holster just isn't for me...tends to get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I'm putting this K-25 holster for sale in case anyone's interested.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #90
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
Nice thread. I'd like to add that while good training is important so is regular shooting in a fashion that enhances professional training. IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association). If interested in match shooting in a concealed carry style check out http://www.idpa.com/

Additionally, for those who are thinking "Cool man, I've got a permit and now I can legally carry a concealed weapon." consider this:

If you pull your weapon and use it you will likely have to defend yourself in court. That is unless the case is crystal clear to the police and other LEOs involved that you were a victim, did everything perfectly, and they completely believe your story. I highly recommend that you have a mindset before you ever carry of who you will defend. Yourself, sure. Your wife or children, sure. A friend, maybe. A stranger, maybe. The situation may dictate what you choose to do. Consider this - if you use your gun to defend a stranger you may find yourself broke defending yourself. Are you willing to do that for someone you don't know? In a situation where you come across a stranger being attacked and their life is in danger you may want to take cover, call the police, and be a good witness. As soon as you inject yourself into the situation you may as well get out your checkbook and dial your attorney. Do you even have an attorney? I'm not here to tell anyone what to do but offer these thoughts to help you make up your own mind so you don't find yourself in a situation where you are thinking "Why did I get involved?"

Buy quality gear
Get professional training
Shoot regularly - train like you fight
Keep educating yourself - know the CC laws
Promote the 2nd Amendment to others
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #91
Reedo302

Be careful with competitive shooting though. People who get heavily involved with it develop some really bad habits. How you shoot in most USPSA type competitions is not realistic, nor tactically sound. It's a good way to brush up on skills like draw stroke under stress inoculation, target discrimination and transitioning between targets. However, it can build just as many scars as it can skills. There's an old training video of a real shooting that some trooper was involved in. The trooper shoots at the bad guy while standing next to the hood of his car. He then finishes, puts the gun down on the hood of the car and steps away from it. He did this because he was a competition shooter and when they were done, they put it on the table to clear. Competition shooting teaches you the marksmanship portion of the equation to some extent, but not the tactics portion. Most 'tactics' used in USPSA/IPSC type shooting do not work well in real world gunfights, because there is no follow-through after pulling the trigger.

Point being, competition shooting is a good way to get some practice and repetitions with a little bit of stress, but if your goal is to get better at real world carry and use, make sure you are realistically evaluating what you are doing and limit how much competition you do. If you want to do it for fun, or want to really be competitive, that's one thing. However, the real world "take aways" from it are limited. When I go to professional firearms training courses, it's easy to tell who the competition shooters are. I take tactical courses, and the competition shooters generally require extra effort and attention to break bad habits. The upside to this is that they've taken the effort to get outside training to learn what they are doing wrong and correct it.

This is an issue that gets debated regularly, and I recognize that not everyone agrees with this. This is just my opinion based off of my own observations. What you do to prepare yourself is based on your own needs and wants.
Personally, I believe that the best thing anyone can do is get professional instruction from a qualified, reputable instructor.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 09-16-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #92
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
Your points are well taken. However, I specifically mentioned IDPA because it focuses on defensive tactics more similar to real life than the disciplines you mentioned. When shooting IDPA the gun is carried holstered under a cover garmet. Rules of IDPA include using cover, identifying the greatest threat target and eliminating it first, managing ammo, etc. This is why I don't shoot the other matches because they are more for sport than reality.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #93
Ghostie

Anyone have any feedback on lights for Sub-compacts?

I'm trying to decide between the Insight X2 and the Streamlight Tlr-3, for my XDsc

Last edited by Ghostie; 10-08-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #94
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDuckDad View Post
Your points are well taken. However, I specifically mentioned IDPA because it focuses on defensive tactics more similar to real life than the disciplines you mentioned. When shooting IDPA the gun is carried holstered under a cover garmet. Rules of IDPA include using cover, identifying the greatest threat target and eliminating it first, managing ammo, etc. This is why I don't shoot the other matches because they are more for sport than reality.
I hear ya. IDPA is much better than most other USPSA leagues.
I still urge caution, however. There are still lots of gaps in tactics within IDPA which are common among all forms of competition.
But again, it all depends on why you're competiting. I don't begrudge people for competing if they are there for the sake of fun or competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Anyone have any feedback on lights for Sub-compacts?

I'm trying to decide between the Insight X2 and the Streamlight Tlr-3, for my XDsc
I typically prefer to go with a handheld light.
Here's my mentality on the matter, for whatever it's worth to you:

I don't like weaponlights on subcompacts. Subs are nice because they're easier to conceal and very low-profile for EDC and concealment. It's a minimalist approach to carry, if you will. When you add a mounted weaponlight, you drastically limit the carry options available. It sort of eliminates the benefit of the subcompact design.
In reference to the lights, the Insight X2 is a joke. 40lumens of light is inadequate, especially on a $100+ light. The TLR-3 is 90 lumens, which is much better. However, the TLR-3 still isn't all that special and it's not some significant light source.
Now, compare that to say, a $115 SureFire P2X Defender with 500lumens. BIG difference. Literally the difference between night and day when talking about illumination. Subcompact weaponlights are very limited, so you can't get much out of them like you can from normal weaponlights or handhelds.

Just my $0.02.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #95
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Xo I've continually had problems with my Comptac Mtac since I bought it a few months ago. It has serious retention issues; it's too strong, it takes so much effort to draw and sometimes it just pulls the damn holster out ofmy pants or pulls my pants up to my chest.

So after I've messed with it for months trying to fix it to no avail, I sent them an email. Turns out they had alot of trouble around the time I ordered with their Glock bolsters. Theyre issuing me an rma number and are going to fix it for me. Looking forward to the result

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #96
Ghostie

Quote:
I typically prefer to go with a handheld light.
Here's my mentality on the matter, for whatever it's worth to you:

I don't like weaponlights on subcompacts. Subs are nice because they're easier to conceal and very low-profile for EDC and concealment. It's a minimalist approach to carry, if you will. When you add a mounted weaponlight, you drastically limit the carry options available. It sort of eliminates the benefit of the subcompact design.
In reference to the lights, the Insight X2 is a joke. 40lumens of light is inadequate, especially on a $100+ light. The TLR-3 is 90 lumens, which is much better. However, the TLR-3 still isn't all that special and it's not some significant light source.
Now, compare that to say, a $115 SureFire P2X Defender with 500lumens. BIG difference. Literally the difference between night and day when talking about illumination. Subcompact weaponlights are very limited, so you can't get much out of them like you can from normal weaponlights or handhelds.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the insight........I'd actually never considered a weapon light till recently, mostly because of the concealment issues you mentioned (always carried a hand light).

What led me down that road was the idea that, in a SHTF scenario, it'd be easier/simpler to deploy one device vs two. And with daylight savings around the corner, I'm going to be spending a lot more time on foot after sundown.

I also noticed the lack of options for Sub Compacts, and to be honest, neither light blew me away. I was willing to compromise because I thought they might be better than fumbling around with a handlight in a critical situation.

I guess I just need to work on presenting both the weapon and handheld light at the same time (if only I could find an instructional youtube video on the subject)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Xo I've continually had problems with my Comptac Mtac since I bought it a few months ago. It has serious retention issues; it's too strong, it takes so much effort to draw and sometimes it just pulls the damn holster out ofmy pants or pulls my pants up to my chest.

So after I've messed with it for months trying to fix it to no avail, I sent them an email. Turns out they had alot of trouble around the time I ordered with their Glock bolsters. Theyre issuing me an rma number and are going to fix it for me. Looking forward to the result
Having similar issues with my Mtac after switching the Kydex body to use with the XDSC. It worked superbly with my PPS.... but now if I push the XD all the way down the holster, I can't draw without ripping the entire holster out. There is a sweet spot where I can leave the weapon and still draw, but I worry about retention

I thought the leather just needed to break in a bit, since I only made the switch last week, but I might be giving them a call as well in the near future.

Last edited by Ghostie; 10-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #97
Reedo302

If I were to pick a subcompact light to use, it'd definitely be the TLR-3. However, I personally just couldn't get over the lack of holster options. You're basically relegated to custom Kydex holsters for concealment, and at that point you could carry a full size or a compact (like a G19) with the same ease. There is nothing catastrophically wrong with using a weapon mounted light on a subcompact, it's just not very efficable or reasonable in my own humble opinion.

Working with the flashlight is actually pretty easy, it just needs to be carried correctly. It takes time to learn how you want to do it, and what method you want to use. The only method I use is the neck index, which ultimately is the only method that really works well across the board. All other options have more drawbacks. The key is to practice each movement independently. Get your one-hand draw stroke down first. Then practice retrieving and positioning your light. Once done, put the two together so that you can deploy them fluidly. Depending on the circumstances, you may not be able to get the two out simultaneous, in which case the priority is always to get yourself into the gunfight by getting the gun out first. Then, retrieve the light and bring that into the equation. Doing both simultaneously is ideal, but not always feasible or possible.
Also, you would do well to practice working your light like you're searching for something, or identifying someone (an unknown). You would want to practice moving your light from an investigative or search position to a firing support position (like neck index), and then practice drawing while doing that. The key is to learn to work both the light and gun together, which isn't going to happen over night. It goes back to needing lots of time to move from being unconsciously ignorant to unconsciously proficient. I have gotten way better at it, but only as of recently. I used to just do whatever, but now that I've spent dedicated time practicing with using a hand-held light, I have developed my own style and created some workable proficiency where I can continue to make myself better.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #98
Ghostie

Quote:
If I were to pick a subcompact light to use, it'd definitely be the TLR-3. However, I personally just couldn't get over the lack of holster options. You're basically relegated to custom Kydex holsters for concealment, and at that point you could carry a full size or a compact (like a G19) with the same ease. There is nothing catastrophically wrong with using a weapon mounted light on a subcompact, it's just not very efficable or reasonable in my own humble opinion.
Yep, I placed an order last week for a Phantom Light Carrier from RCS. But obviously I have a ~4 month wait, so plenty of time to change the order.

Quote:
Working with the flashlight is actually pretty easy, it just needs to be carried correctly. It takes time to learn how you want to do it, and what method you want to use. The only method I use is the neck index, which ultimately is the only method that really works well across the board. All other options have more drawbacks. The key is to practice each movement independently. Get your one-hand draw stroke down first. Then practice retrieving and positioning your light. Once done, put the two together so that you can deploy them fluidly. Depending on the circumstances, you may not be able to get the two out simultaneous, in which case the priority is always to get yourself into the gunfight by getting the gun out first. Then, retrieve the light and bring that into the equation. Doing both simultaneously is ideal, but not always feasible or possible.
Also, you would do well to practice working your light like you're searching for something, or identifying someone (an unknown). You would want to practice moving your light from an investigative or search position to a firing support position (like neck index), and then practice drawing while doing that. The key is to learn to work both the light and gun together, which isn't going to happen over night. It goes back to needing lots of time to move from being unconsciously ignorant to unconsciously proficient. I have gotten way better at it, but only as of recently. I used to just do whatever, but now that I've spent dedicated time practicing with using a hand-held light, I have developed my own style and created some workable proficiency where I can continue to make myself better.
Thanks, I'm going to practice that this week and see how quickly I can pick it up
Old 10-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #99
Ghostie

I picked up a Tlr-3 yesterday and mounted it, just to experiment; I see what you mean about eliminating the benefits.

The light extends quite a bit past the barrel, which makes the whole set up just as long as my full size XD. Glad I changed my Raven order a few days ago (dropped the light carrier).

Although after playing with it a bit, I realize I REALLY like the idea of a weapon light, so I will keep the TLR-3 for home defense.

I'm also still mulling over the Surefire P2X. I already have a few decent flashlights, but the idea of have 500 lumens at my fingertip is hard to pass up...I don't know if the size is small enough for EDC though.

Related question: Night sights, yay or nay? which brand?

Last edited by Ghostie; 10-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #100
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
I very much like the Trijicon HDs (orange front dot) on my Glock 19.