E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #121
mrf

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
MS41 is older and doesn't have the same options, as you'd expect from the model number.

No. It grabs everything I allow you to log, and it's fast in doing so... just not as fast as MS42 or MS43.
Well, can you add the option to only log certain things? There is no point in logging the coolant temp over and over again wasting bandwidth when I'm only interested in RPM, MAF, Fuel Pulsewidth, etc. Know what I mean?

Also, can you define 'fast'? How many times per second do the values get updated?
mrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #122
smooth1

My Ride: BMW FTW
No, that would create a mess in the log file structure and it's really pointless to do.

You'll be pleasantly surprised and I think you'll retract what you're asking for once you use it.
smooth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #123
mrf

Yes, I guess I just need to try this out before speculating any more. Though, I would like to log things as fast as possible!

What if there was an alternative mode that logged straight to *.csv? This mode would then only log the items I explicitly define. And it could populate them in any order since it's just a *.csv file. Or am I better off using pheno's program in that case?

Also, can you define 'fast'? How many times per second do the values get updated? I wasn't able to find a datalog for MS41 on your website. But the datalog you have for MS43 seems to be logging at 8 samples per second while logging 12 values. I wonder if you could almost double the sampling rate if you cut the number of values logged in half.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #124
smooth1

This can export to CSV just fine.

MS43 file with 8 samples per second logging 12 values? I don't have any logs matching that description. Perhaps you didn't scroll down the entire list on the left? There's 22 items in the analog section alone plus digital inputs/outputs and status items. It's more than 8 samples per second as well.

I'm not requesting individual items so what you're asking for isn't going to happen. I'm not going into any greater detail than that.

Last edited by smooth1; 09-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #125
mrf

Go to : http://bimmersoftware.com/software/i...Datalogs/MS43/
Download: http://www.bimmersoftware.com/softwa...opSpeedRun.dlg
Open in your program.
Go to Graph -> Export to *.csv
Open in Excel. You'll see about 12 columns of values that are updated about 8 times a second.

What am I missing?

Last edited by mrf; 09-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #126
smooth1

Look at the list on the left when you load the datalog... instead of looking at the datalog you're looking at an exported CSV with specific items exported.

Grab one of the other logs. I get 12-13 samples/sec on my DME. Results obviously vary by laptop/connectivity/car. The one you're talking about wasn't from my car.

Try http://www.bimmersoftware.com/softwa...1053AMMS43.dlg for instance. And actually use the software instead of exporting to CSV... That's kind of what it was intended for.

Last edited by smooth1; 09-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #127
mrf

OK, I can see 22 analog values in the list on the left. But when I export to *.csv, only some of them get exported. Why aren't all of them being exported to *.csv?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #128
smooth1

The major ones are exported to CSV.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #129
mrf

LOL, what? Why not just export all of the logged data?

This way we can manipulate it in Excel as needed.

Last edited by mrf; 09-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #130
smooth1

Not all DMEs have the same options and you don't need CSV to analyze the datalog, since you have this software to do it for you. CSV is an extra feature. It has what it has, the useful ones that might come in handy for a tuner. It's going to stay that way. I'm unfortunately not clear on why you're throwing a fit, but I'm more than happy to refund you if you're unhappy and this isn't what you're looking for.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #131
mrf

I just fail to understand why you want to cripple the 'export to *.csv' function unnecessarily. Why not let the tuner decide what they want instead of artificially limiting it?

Your graphing capabilities are really good but there are things you can do in Excel that you can't with your software. Like write custom formulas to populate a 3D table with average values to auto-tune the fuel map as I have done for Subarus. This lets me drive for many many miles and lets Excel auto crunch the data and make a new fuel map automatically.

Also, you don't think LOAD is a 'major' item?

Don't get me wrong. I think this software is fantastic as-is and I can't wait to test it out on my car. I just thought that since it's in the development stage, you would be open to making it so it hits a wider audience.

Last edited by mrf; 09-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #132
smooth1

It's not crippled at all and this software is new.

The software will eventually do all of that.

Load has been added already.

I am open to feature requests... just submit a request next time instead of going about it the way you have. You're also arguing about a platform, MS43, which you don't have, so I'm failing to see your points here. You don't have 22 analog items to export on your MS41. Maybe then you'll understand why I started with a uniform output. Not every DME has the same options.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #133
mrf

OK, I'll reserve further comments till I try it out on my MS41.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #134
smooth1

We'll get you settled in, don't worry. I wish this project did have further reach, I'd be able to dedicate so much more time to it right NOW.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #135
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Just wondering can this be used to clear the airbag light I have on my dash? Thanks.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #136
smooth1

Additional modules will be available to licensed individuals in a future update.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #137
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Any new updates? like Independent WIDEBAND inputs?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #138
smooth1

LC-1, LM-1, and PLX direct serial logging support will be added as independent widebands. LM-2 will be available on Windows only.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #139
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth1 View Post
LC-1, LM-1, and PLX direct serial logging support will be added as independent widebands. LM-2 will be available on Windows only.
Is it available already?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #140
smooth1

It will be added.