E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Z3r0115

My Ride: 300zxtt
codes help

hi need some help with some codes. i am getting code "signal camshaft sensor outlet" and burning fail cylinder 1-6, so a total of 7 codes. i previously had 5 vanos codes but all of them are gone once i adjusted camshaft timing and vanos adjustment with proper tools and procedure. i have good compression on all cylinders and recently changed maf and fuel filter. what should i be doing next?
Z3r0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Have you given any thought to replacing the camshaft sensor?

What is(are) the OBD II code(s) that you are getting? The MISFIRE codes for all cylinders can be from the cam position sensor, so I suggest you get the cam position sorted out.

A misfire is defined as, "the expected work was not performed." A single cylinder misfire would be caused by factors unique to a single cylinder, but you have misfires from all cylinders so you should be looking for failures that have a global affect, such as the cam position not being reported properly so the ignition timing is wrong.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Z3r0115

i changed the cam position sensor right now with a very low mileage one and no difference even after clearing the codes. i drove around and a vanos code popped up again. here are all the obd codes. P1397, P0301-P0306, and the new vanos code P1519. I am very confident i aligned the camshafts to the proper positions. There was no gap on the cylinder head and the special tool that holds the camshafts. I am getting very frustrated with this car. Jdstickland i appreciate your help and i see you are in murrieta is there any chance youd be able to come look at this car?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Z3r0115

update, i just did a leak down test and each cylinder is less than 20%.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
P1397 means, CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR B CIRCUIT, BANK 1. Camshaft Sensor B is the Exhaust Cam sensor, I'm pretty sure. Sensor A is on the intake cam, sensor B should be on the exhaust cam. P1519 is the A CAMSHAFT POSITION ACTUATOR, BANK 1.

Have you played with the VANOS? The reason I ask is because you have issues with both of your cam postion sensors. You say VANOS codes popped up, but the code trarnslators that I have don't show any VANOS troubles, you have issues with sensors.

I still believe your misfires are related to the position sensors, and you can ignore them for now. That is, when the position sensors get dialed in, the misfires will go away. Don't waste any diagnostic effort on stuff like leak-down tests because these tests are looking for weak cylinders -- rings, valves, that kind of stuff -- but you have timing issues that arise from faulty sensors.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Z3r0115

yes i did play with the VANOS i re-aligned the gears with the special tool and adjusted the camshafts following this guide:

http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/576sv-...330i-2001.html

i have all the special tools and did it exactly to what the guide says. P1519 in DIS shows that its a Vanos intake solenoid valve out of tolerance. Also i cant not ignore them for now because the car runs terrible and even stalls sometimes. It has absolutely no power, most likely in limp mode.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
0mega9

My Ride: 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3r0115 View Post
hi need some help with some codes.
Head over to :::
www.obd-codes.com
Search for your car and codes
0mega9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Big john (972)

My Ride: M3
hi i have a 2003 m3, i also have the same problem. every time i clear my code my car run fine for a week and then it popped back up again. ive changed both sensor. i still haven't figured out the problem been like this for months.
Big john (972) is offline   Reply With Quote