E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #1041
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
In the classes you attended was anybody running stainless steel barrels or all bhf/chf? I need to pull up the weight spec differences but i wasn't sure how ss barrels held up on heavy rates of fire.
I have not seen anyone using a SS barrel. A few HF, but mostly just standard barrels. Reedo is in a better position to answer this, but I think the expected life is about 10k rounds.

ETA: this may be a good read for ya.
http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-44818.html

ETA2: I got a warning for violating two EE rules.

Last edited by Serbonze; 10-14-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #1042
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
quick question, whats the difference between the BCM standard barrel, and their BFH barrel. i know that the BFH is cold hammer forged, but how does that make it different performance and durability wise in comparison to the standard?
The metal is a lot harder and more resistant to heat and wear. As Serbonze pointed out, it will last a lot longer than normal cut barrels. Average carbine barrels are good for 10-15k rounds, but CHF (BFH) barrels are good for 40-50k rounds. It's basically a high-service barrel and given that they're only $100 more in most cases, it's by far a better option than a conventional chromoly barrel. If you plan to shoot a lot of XM193/855 ammunition that is much higher pressure, it's a good idea to run CHF since those loads will burn out other barrels faster. They don't seem to do that with CHF barrels.
One caveat is that SBR barrels do not last as long carbine length barrels, so your service life for a 11.5" won't match that of a 16".

Quote:
In the classes you attended was anybody running stainless steel barrels or all bhf/chf? I need to pull up the weight spec differences but i wasn't sure how ss barrels held up on heavy rates of fire.
SS barrels will have about 10k before they degrade to the point where they need to be replaced. This is dependent upon ammunition and service load (how much you shoot and how quickly you shoot it). SS barrels are exceptionally accurate, and usually will shoot sub-MOA with quality ammo. The pros is heavier, more rigid barrel with more accuracy. The cons are lower round count barrel life and higher weight.
If I were to be building a fighting carbine in 5.56, I'd use a CHF barrel. If it's a precision 5.56, it's a SS barrel.

I've never seen anyone running one in the classes I've taken; at least to my knowledge. However, that's not saying much since BCM has basically dominated the classes I've been at. The most recent one was actually dominated by Huldra Arms, but that's because half the class were Huldra employees.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-14-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #1043
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Thanks, that's what I figured, I'll leave my 16" noveske barrel alone then. Leaning towards a bcm bhf upper with possibly a kac urx3 rail as my next build.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #1044
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Putting together another AR. Using a spiked lower, and a spiked 14.5" spikes upper with a 1.5" compensator pinned and welded.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #1045
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Putting together another AR. Using a spiked lower, and a spiked 14.5" spikes upper with a 1.5" compensator pinned and welded.
What made you decide to go with a 14.5" barrel?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #1046
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

How's Winchester 5.56 q3131? Anybody run it? Picking up 800 for $250 today from my buddy again, cheapest I can find it online is $10 a box, figured it should be good for plinking or a class.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1047
04_e46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Anyone got any connections/leads to a DD or Noveske MK18 upper in FDE?
04_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #1048
04_e46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
@adam: do you run/is there any special buffer and spring for the pistol or would the standard carbine and buffer be fine?
04_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #1049
Reedo302

Quote:
Why are you wanting a 14.5" pinned barrel in lieu of a 16"?

Quote:
How's Winchester 5.56 q3131? Anybody run it? Picking up 800 for $250 today from my buddy again, cheapest I can find it online is $10 a box, figured it should be good for plinking or a class.
Generally speaking, pretty dirty and inconsistent. Also very inaccurate. The Q3131 is US made, but check to make sure it's not the Q3131A stuff made overseas (Israel for that stuff). The Q3131A is junk. A lot of negative posts on it over on Lightfighter. Not too many people saying anything good about Q3131 either. My own experience with Q3131 has been okay for just general range use, but it's definitely a step down from Federal XM193. I would never run it in a class, but wouldn't have an issue running it on the range on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_e46 View Post
Anyone got any connections/leads to a DD or Noveske MK18 upper in FDE?
Rainier Arms has the DD Mk18 FDE upper in stock.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2593

Noveske should have their Mk18 in stock, as per their website. Rainier Arms can also order it, as they're the chief distributor for Noveske; though getting it direct from Noveske is pretty easy also.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

There really is no difference between the two setups, except that one barrel is made in-house by Daniel Defense and one is made by FN (to Noveske's specifications).
Both come with a milspec BCG and charging handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_e46 View Post
@adam: do you run/is there any special buffer and spring for the pistol or would the standard carbine and buffer be fine?
Running a carbine gas system with a 10.3/10.5" barrel will require more buffering or spring weight to reduce bolt speed. Look at an H2 buffer with either a Blue or Red spring by Sprinco.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-15-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #1050
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
What made you decide to go with a 14.5" barrel?
I live in an ban state so I cannot have an threaded barrel, and to get a 16" upper for the most part I would have to buy the upper, have a compensator pinned and welded which around here add's over a $100 to the cost of it. With this upper all I have to do is chop the bay lug off and re-blue it (10 minutes of my life) so it was just easier and cheaper going this route. Plus it looks so badass and its closest to the sbr look we can get around here.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1051
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Generally speaking, pretty dirty and inconsistent. Also very inaccurate. The Q3131 is US made, but check to make sure it's not the Q3131A stuff made overseas (Israel for that stuff). The Q3131A is junk. A lot of negative posts on it over on Lightfighter. Not too many people saying anything good about Q3131 either. My own experience with Q3131 has been okay for just general range use, but it's definitely a step down from Federal XM193. I would never run it in a class, but wouldn't have an issue running it on the range on my own.

Rainier Arms has the DD Mk18 FDE upper in stock.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=2593

Noveske should have their Mk18 in stock, as per their website. Rainier Arms can also order it, as they're the chief distributor for Noveske; though getting it direct from Noveske is pretty easy also.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

There really is no difference between the two setups, except that one barrel is made in-house by Daniel Defense and one is made by FN (to Noveske's specifications).
Both come with a milspec BCG and charging handle.

Running a carbine gas system with a 10.3/10.5" barrel will require more buffering or spring weight to reduce bolt speed. Look at an H2 buffer with either a Blue or Red spring by Sprinco.
Thanks I'll just plow through it for range use then and save my xm193 for a class.

G&r tactical also had dd mk18 in stock last time i checked. Gun gallery in Jacksonville was about $100+ cheaper then anybody else i could find for a complete dd mk18 rifle so might want to give them a call too.

I just got in a red, blue, white springco spring and h,h2, t2 t1 and t3 buffer in so I'll report back when i get to the range what set up i stuck with.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #1052
Reedo302

Quote:
I live in an ban state so I cannot have an threaded barrel, and to get a 16" upper for the most part I would have to buy the upper, have a compensator pinned and welded which around here add's over a $100 to the cost of it. With this upper all I have to do is chop the bay lug off and re-blue it (10 minutes of my life) so it was just easier and cheaper going this route. Plus it looks so badass and its closest to the sbr look we can get around here.
Man, that sucks. So many states I would absolutely hate to live in... wow.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #1053
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
I've never understood why people in a ban state don't just buy a pre-ban rifle and outfit it how they want it...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #1054
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I've never understood why people in a ban state don't just buy a pre-ban rifle and outfit it how they want it...
I have many pre bans, but your paying a massive premium to have a telescoping stock, a bayo lug, and a threaded barrel. The way I have my spikes setup, it would cost twice as much for a couple un-necessary features.

Plus with prebans you dont get the badass lowers that are out today, plus this is my first non franken ar, as in matching lower and upper which i couldnt of done with a pre ban (atleast in this setup)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #1055
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Man, that sucks. So many states I would absolutely hate to live in... wow.
Dont even get me started, its the peoples republic of new yorkistan
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #1056
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
I live in an ban state so I cannot have an threaded barrel
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #1057
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
It womps, but what it really makes a little differnce, we still can have High cap mags as long as they are preban. I pin my stock to the length I want it, I cant have a bayonet (dont care) the only thing I wish we could have is a flash suppresor and a thread barrel. I have prebans for my evil features.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #1058
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Was looking for a multi tool and came across these...seems very expensive for an AR multitool, but a cool idea.

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/mult...multitool.html
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #1059
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Anybody know who manufacturers bcms bcg? There's a friendly debate going on in my local forum about bcm vs wmd/spikes nib bcg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #1060
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Please tell me that your screen name is IHasCrabs?! If so, that's fucking hilarious!!!