E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT

NY / NJ / CT
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
NY NJ CT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
AndrewBigA
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: QUEENS, NY
1981 DeLorean Preview: The Perfect Handjob. Regraining Stainless Steel by Hand

i call this the perfect handjob! its for someone with alot of experience in auto body & paint prep work. im sanding bare stainless steel by hand & i did it all dry. dry cuts better, faster & deeper. its a dirty job for sure!

before any exterior work started the interior got a full cleaning & leather treatment. i also did a light engine clean with some towels & light cleaners, no hose was sprayed back there.

i washed the DeLorean with car soap then dried with a leaf blower & microfiber towels. i used WD-40 to prep the stainless steel. i also went over the door moldings with WD-40. i wetsanded & polished the front bumper & then polished the rear bumper + applied 2 coats of wax to them. i wanted to get the bumper work out of the way!

rubber seals, door moldings, black fiberglass engine compartment cover & a few other black trim pieces + bumper covers (which are the only painted parts on the car) were taped & covered with plastic. i needed to keep those things protected. sanding wet with with just water or with soapy water wouldve messed up my prep work & wouldve made it hard to see the grains.
the blending pad & the liquid polish that follows contains materials that can damage those parts. the work needs to be done dry. the surface got a little chalky but i could still see the grains as i im working.

i finished her on sat afternoon & got started right away on a 2012 Lotus Evora S. the Lotus didnt have many swirls but my customer wanted to make it look flawless & wet for sunday to show off to his friends in his car club.

both cars were on the floor here: http://manhasset-concours.com/

sun @ 8:30 am i met up with Ronnie & Matt at the garage so he could get his Lotus. once we got to the Americana i gave the Lotus a wipedown with some spray wax & i let Ronnie do his thing with his camera! photo shoot on the floor!

then i sent a text to Harry & met up with him by his DeLorean. it was fun! i saw a small crowd started to form in front of the car as i was giving it another wipedown. i went over the DeLorean for the second time with 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish. the first time was back at the garage on fri afternoon. i sprayed it on brand new microfiber towels till it foamed, working one section at a time in slow, long even strokes. this stuff turns the the towel a lil black.

i wanted to see if i could pick up any more black on some new microfiber towels. if anything else comes up that means im cleaning the surface a bit more which would increase the shine of this beauty. you have to see her in person after the detail to see what im talking about.

so i went over it 2 more times with dry microfiber towels & it looked amazing!
every time i would wipe it down it would glow a little more. i told Harry you gotta do this twice, stand back, have a beer & call it a day! too bad i couldnt have one right there!

ronnie followed with a photo shoot of the Delorean as one of the judges looked over the car!

goodbye for now!

Last edited by AndrewBigA; 10-15-2012 at 09:53 PM.
AndrewBigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.