E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #141
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcchen View Post
wrong
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #142
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

I feel bad for not updating enough but here's a sneak of what i've been doing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00657.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	462280  
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #143
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
I feel bad for not updating enough but here's a sneak of what i've been doing

looking GOOD! I just took off my turbo, seriously considering going to bottom mount now. I had heat issues with my turbo on top, even though I double raped downpipe, with turbo blanket. coil pack plastic dividers caught on fire, luckily I had a fire extinguisher, I recommend one! . . What mani is that? TCD like mine? I'm curious how you ran the downpipe, does it run into the corner, then drop down? I had a hell of a time getting 3" from the turbo back. it would rub on firewall and mani. I say good luck keeping the heat down!

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 07-26-2012 at 03:40 PM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #144
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
looking GOOD! I just took off my turbo, seriously considering going to bottom mount now. I had heat issues with my turbo on top, even though I double raped downpipe, with turbo blanket. coil pack plastic dividers caught on fire, luckily I had a fire extinguisher, I recommend one! . . What mani is that? TCD like mine? I'm curious how you ran the downpipe, does it run into the corner, then drop down? I had a hell of a time getting 3" from the turbo back. it would rub on firewall and mani. I say good luck keeping the heat down!
Thanks

I'll be coating the DP/mani and wrapping it along with a turbo hat.Manifold is as custom as it gets

Hope this will help along with having a vented hood

Going to fabricate a divider between the VC and turbo to help it from melting , gonna make it bolt on top of the coilpacks aswell since they tend to pop up when doing some hard driving.

The DP runs down by #6 header, it's a 3" DP
Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #145
bimmerguy055

My Ride: quick 325
Send a message via AIM to bimmerguy055
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweTurbo View Post
Thanks

I'll be coating the DP/mani and wrapping it along with a turbo hat.Manifold is as custom as it gets

Hope this will help along with having a vented hood

Going to fabricate a divider between the VC and turbo to help it from melting , gonna make it bolt on top of the coilpacks aswell since they tend to pop up when doing some hard driving.

The DP runs down by #6 header, it's a 3" DP
any pics of the one-off manifold? have any pictures of the down-pipe going down past cylinder # 6? must of been a PIA to get the downpipe in especially with out touching the firewall

running a intake will be fun I had put a stuby air filter on mine, i know it was not helping my performance.

Side note: I got a 6266 on the way switching back to bottom mount, going to be alot of fun fab'ing a motor mount to go around a 4" intake, raping the WG top mounted in the back (from TCD mani) you made yours? that china turbo was 4" intake right, so it would clear fine?

I was wondering how you got away with the oil drain like it was with your old turbo? Even when mine was top mounted, I had issues blowing the seals, I'm contemplating weather to tap higher than the oil pan, the block so its actually above the oil line. I know I had almost 2 qts of oil come out past my drain. you ran what a .065" restrictor? noticed that you have some adapter for oil feed from oil filter housing? where did you get that? I taped the oil temp sensor.

below is my car running with no timing sync was off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0233.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	464018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0184.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	464019  

Last edited by bimmerguy055; 08-08-2012 at 02:18 AM.
bimmerguy055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #146
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy055 View Post
any pics of the one-off manifold? have any pictures of the down-pipe going down past cylinder # 6? must of been a PIA to get the downpipe in especially with out touching the firewall

running a intake will be fun I had put a stuby air filter on mine, i know it was not helping my performance.

Side note: I got a 6266 on the way switching back to bottom mount, going to be alot of fun fab'ing a motor mount to go around a 4" intake, raping the WG top mounted in the back (from TCD mani) you made yours? that china turbo was 4" intake right, so it would clear fine?

I was wondering how you got away with the oil drain like it was with your old turbo? Even when mine was top mounted, I had issues blowing the seals, I'm contemplating weather to tap higher than the oil pan, the block so its actually above the oil line. I know I had almost 2 qts of oil come out past my drain. you ran what a .065" restrictor? noticed that you have some adapter for oil feed from oil filter housing? where did you get that? I taped the oil temp sensor.

below is my car running with no timing sync was off
Looks great

Well the manifold is at my fabricator( i made one out of spare tubes i had laying arond so he'll make a copy of it with awesome welds)

The DP looked really spacey, only thing is it might run too close to the VC or the drug bin, gonna need to work on it abit

I need the "intake" as to help with the brake booster and the head ventilation.

The china one was 4" yes , i could just sqeeze some flex turbing on it between the mount and inlet, a silicone hose would never have worked

The adapter is a RUFF one, i bought it from streetpower here in sweden
I cant remember what size restrictor i used

Your car runs great
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #147
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Nice build. Did you run into many problems with the G4?
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #148
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Nice build. Did you run into many problems with the G4?
Thanks

Not that much problems , only thing now is i cant get inlet vanos to work, talking with link tech to help me but as the car is torn down atm i cant do much checking
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #149
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
Quote:
Thanks

Not that much problems , only thing now is i cant get inlet vanos to work, talking with link tech to help me but as the car is torn down atm i cant do much checking
Damn that's too bad. Do you think it's a software issue or related to the vanos, are you seeing any voltage from the solenoid?
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #150
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
great build

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #151
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
great build
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
Damn that's too bad. Do you think it's a software issue or related to the vanos, are you seeing any voltage from the solenoid?
Yeah im getting a pulse at 627degrees offset(iirc, maby thats the exhaust one) anyways i believe the issue is with engine 720 degrees sync trying to use the same trigger.

All i get is either missing pulses or too many pulses in the link error report.

But like i said harware is what im focusing on now(fittting m3 brakes in the front and building a topmount + need to find out why my hpf clutch has failed at 1k miles)
Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #152
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
thank you

Yeah im getting a pulse at 627degrees offset(iirc, maby thats the exhaust one) anyways i believe the issue is with engine 720 degrees sync trying to use the same trigger.

All i get is either missing pulses or too many pulses in the link error report.

But like i said harware is what im focusing on now(fittting m3 brakes in the front and building a topmount + need to find out why my hpf clutch has failed at 1k miles)
Feramic Stage 2? Failed how? Other than fusing we dont hear of many failures. Even fusing is rare as hens teeth.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #153
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
Nice build site read through thread cool I am scared to even work on my car I still need to get fuel injector O rings. and other miscelanious bolt and parts. I then need to kit all my parts with the realoem.com drawings and double check all the parts. I bought a printer just for such a task I just would hate to start a project and not have every part I need.
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #154
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Sub'd!

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #155
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
About how much was your original setup?. Parts wise not labor or tune.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #156
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
Feramic Stage 2? Failed how? Other than fusing we dont hear of many failures. Even fusing is rare as hens teeth.
Stage 1 , disk was fused to the pressure plate
Not sure if i'll buy another hpf clutch if this is an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmech View Post
Nice build site read through thread cool I am scared to even work on my car I still need to get fuel injector O rings. and other miscelanious bolt and parts. I then need to kit all my parts with the realoem.com drawings and double check all the parts. I bought a printer just for such a task I just would hate to start a project and not have every part I need.
Thanks , yeah not having the right parts or parts that wont fit has been atleast 50% of the work in this build

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
Sub'd!
Thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
About how much was your original setup?. Parts wise not labor or tune.
Original setup ?

Car was $10k in 2008
Supercharger was $4k in 2009
New engine(well used one but machnined)+parts... well i've got reciepts of $20k in front of me yet alot of reciepts are missing

Labor is done by me and maby a friend helping out, tuning is done by me aswell
Old 09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #157
JackEatsEmoKids

My Ride: '02 E39 530/5
Send a message via AIM to JackEatsEmoKids
Cool build! I like seeing this.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #158
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Need to update you guys abit

So for i've converted the car to M3 front brakes(man what a PITA unless your car has the ASC in the drug bin already)

I've torn down the engine to replace the lifters,chestplate and oiltray along with replacing the clutch.

Clutch is on the way from HPF (got a stage 2), once it's here ill start to push for the exhaust manifold to be complete , if it isnt by the time the clutch is in already.

Some pics :

Cost me abit but better to replace all of them

Not how i wanted the engine to sit but since i have no garage at the moment it has to do.

Good thing i decided to do this, turns out all the vanos screws were loose

The camshaft bolt that stripped held the cap by itself, maby it was me fearing to damage it that i didn't torque it properly ?

My new chestplate

And my IAT sensor adapter

Now I'm waiting on a new oilpan gasket
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00850.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	472873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00852.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	472874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00853.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	472875   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00854.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	472876  

Name:	DSC00855.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	472877   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00860.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	472878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00859.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	472879  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #159
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

Turned some more bolts today , found this :

ATI Dampener has been moved upquite abit on my "to-buy" list... and yes that's the greg oilpump with all of it's bolts hanging on by a few threads(loctited now)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00871[1].jpg
Views:	925
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	474228  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #160
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
hmmmmm
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote