E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
atbecstacy

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3 AW 6MT
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey330i View Post
It didn't work for me this morning... looking for an answer too.
so you have a dynavin unit and you tried the new 30 pin to lightning connector and it didn't work for you? oh man! thank GOD I haven't purchased a unit yet! I told Jeff, I am ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one of these, as LONG as the new 30pin-to-lightning connector works without any flaws.

oh man.. I hope they come up with a solution fast..
atbecstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
After reading this http://www.macworld.com/article/2012...-adapters.html I have no reason to think that there should be any issues with the dynavin or pretty much any other device. Do a Reboot your iphone and see what happens.

Edit: Works fine as far as I can tell, see post #34. Any other iphone5 users want to confirm?

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Phonix6

My Ride: E46
Hi Jeff,
I bought a Dynavin D99 unit this week it looks exectly like the first picture in your post "Dynavin "D99 PLUS"" two mmc slots and all the rest, no front USB port.
My question is how can i know which version i'm having before i install?
Thanks.
Phonix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
atbecstacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
After reading this http://www.macworld.com/article/2012...-adapters.html I have no reason to think that there should be any issues with the dynavin or pretty much any other device. Do a Reboot your iphone and see what happens.
I would be shocked if a reboot of the phone fixes the issue.. Shocked. There's a significant Amount of accessories out there that don't work with apple's new solution so i'm not at all surprised it doesn't work with this unit either.

Bummer, this will hold me back from purchasing a unit. I hope they come out with a solution some day..Sooner rather than later. I am ready to pull the trigger on a unit!!
Old 10-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
weezerpsb

My Ride: E46 M3 E46 330ci
It's a lot nicer to stream your music over Bluetooth instead of using the connection.

Last edited by weezerpsb; 10-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
weezerpsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonix6 View Post
Hi Jeff,
I bought a Dynavin D99 unit this week it looks exectly like the first picture in your post "Dynavin "D99 PLUS"" two mmc slots and all the rest, no front USB port.
My question is how can i know which version i'm having before i install?
Thanks.
Instruction manual will have a security code on it, box will have a "+" on it. If it came from us it is a plus unit, if it came from somebody else....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbecstacy View Post
I would be shocked if a reboot of the phone fixes the issue.. Shocked. There's a significant Amount of accessories out there that don't work with apple's new solution so i'm not at all surprised it doesn't work with this unit either.

Bummer, this will hold me back from purchasing a unit. I hope they come out with a solution some day..Sooner rather than later. I am ready to pull the trigger on a unit!!
Possible, but one guy does not make a pattern.... but it does looks like im going to be buying an adapter to test sooner than later....

My experience as a LONG time iphone owner is that accesory connectivity issues are common and are usually fixed with a reboot. So before things get complicated its important to rule out the simple stuff first.

EDIT: iphone5 with lighting adapter worked fine in my testing. See post #34 below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerpsb View Post
It's a lot nicer to stream your music over Bluetooth instead of using the connection.
True for some....but others want to control it from the screen....and also iOS6 seems to have screwed up the bluetooth track control buttons, not the end of the world be those were a nice feature, hopefully that gets straightened out in the next iOS update.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
grey330i

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerpsb View Post
I do use the bluetooth streaming, but it would just be nice to have the option to plug it in and use the feature. When I purchased the Dynavin, I didn't know I would be getting the iPhone 5 (work phone)... they actually arrived on the same day.
grey330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
jneumann

My Ride: 323i, 530i, Z4 3.0i
Send a message via AIM to jneumann
So, no capacitive touch screen and no Android 4.0?

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

jneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneumann View Post
So, no capacitive touch screen and no Android 4.0?

To my knowledge capacitive touchscreens are not really ready for the car environment, the Pioneer app radio is the only one I know of at this point. I think there might be a few oem setups that are trying it (maybe fisker?, chevy volt) but are not always being received well....for instance: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...es-10#slide-10.
In addition I think there are probably temp extreme issues as well. The mobile environment can be pretty harsh. I think its a bit unrealistic to expect a tiny niche manufacturer like dynavin to do it when the big name car audio companies and car manufactures cant yet do it.

The D99+ is all radio hardware changes, there are no changes in android beyond the change in screen drivers to accommodate the new screen.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-19-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
jneumann

Quote:
To my knowledge capacitive touchscreens are not really ready for the car environment, the Pioneer app radio is the only one I know of at this point. I think there might be a few oem setups that are trying it (maybe fisker?, chevy volt) but are not always being received well....for instance: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...es-10#slide-10.
In addition I think there are probably temp extreme issues as well. The mobile environment can be pretty harsh. I think its a bit unrealistic to expect a tiny niche manufacturer like dynavin to do it when the big name car audio companies and car manufactures cant yet do it.

The D99+ is all radio hardware changes, there are no changes in android beyond the change in screen drivers to accommodate the new screen.

So, new version with new radio side stuff that I'm better most of us don't care about, or would much, much rather be controlled off the Android side, and STILL no upgrade past 2.2 or source code? If they can't support their own damn hardware, at least let us. It's not like we'd be hurting sales since they refuse to update it themselves.

Oh, and for nearly $1k, they can do better than resistive touch and outdated hardware. This <$250 board, screen included, with considerably more power than the Dynavin and far, far more I/O (think interfacing with IBUS on the Android side), actual physical back/home/menu buttons, etc - even has capacitive touch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cortex-A8-S5...item4ab97588e1

It would be different if these were for sale for $400. At $900+, it should be the best damn head unit available with full software support and source code open to download freely. (which is how it's supposed to be, legally, since they are using Android/Linux/GPL'd software)

If Dynavin doesn't get their crap together, I'll be building a custom solution for my E39.

/rant

Dynavin Android | Laser Interceptor | GRE PSR-800 | STi-R+ | M3 seats | 50W 4300K FX-R Retrofit | Solid black interior | Mtech II front bumper | Koni FSDs
Member, Three Pedal Mafia | Long informative article on oil | BITOG German Castrol FAQ

Last edited by jneumann; 10-22-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #31
headhunter1994

My Ride: 2001 X5 4.4
Quote:
I still need to mess around with it....delete, re-pair, etc....before I can say for sure that its iOS 6. But considering all the changes they made with the Podcast app etc... it wouldn't surprise me if something got broke somewhere.
Jeff - did you get an answer on this...I can't pair my iphone since I upgraded to iOS 6...any thoughts?
headhunter1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
jneumann

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter1994 View Post
Jeff - did you get an answer on this...I can't pair my iphone since I upgraded to iOS 6...any thoughts?

You need an Apple head unit now.

Or an Android phone.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #33
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter1994 View Post
iOS6 did screw up the track controls but I have heard no reports of pairing issues so you should probably reboot your iphone and try again, if that doesnt work, do a restore with itunes.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-22-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
J&T Distributing

Sooooooo.......

Despite the above conversation and all the hand wringing about the new lighting connector, today I got my hands on an iphone5, a new ipod touch, and a lighting adapter (the 7" long style), plugged them in, and (almost) everything worked exactly the same as the earlier iphones/ipods. Charging, track controls, audio, bluetooth, all worked fine.

The only thing that is different is that I had to select ipod as the source instead of it being automatic when I plugged it in....if I had to guess, the dynavin sees that the adapter is still plugged in so as far as it knows the ipod never left/got plugged back in, not a problem, just different. Ill work with it a bit more to see if I can get it to do anything weird but it all looks good to me

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #35
atbecstacy

Quote:
Sooooooo.......

Despite the above conversation and all the hand wringing about the new lighting connector, today I got my hands on an iphone5, a new ipod touch, and a lighting adapter (the 7" long style), plugged them in, and everything worked exactly the same as the earlier iphones/ipods. Charging, track controls, audio, bluetooth, all worked fine. Ill work with it a bit more to see if I can get it to do anything weird but it all looks good to me
This is fantastic news Jeff!! I will be sending you an order request in the ext couple of days.

Question -- this may be a dumb question, but I saw in the YouTube video that you plugged it in and you changed the track through the unit, but noticed that you could've probably done it through the phone as well since it stayed on the home screen. On the other hand, the picture right below the video you posted, shows me that dreaded screen I hate! When I see that, like I do in my current setup, that means I can't change the track on the phone!

Can you clarify what the difference between the two sets of media?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #36
mikerob97

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323it
any comment to the earlier question about satellite radio? That is the only reason I would not consider this unit.

Cars in Fleet
2000 BMW E46 323i Touring - Daily Driver
1994 BMW E36 w/S50 Engine - Fast Driver
2010 Honda CRV - Wife's Driver
2002 Ford Focus - Daughter's Driver

Last edited by mikerob97; 10-25-2012 at 06:04 AM.
mikerob97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
J&T Distributing

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbecstacy View Post
This is fantastic news Jeff!! I will be sending you an order request in the ext couple of days.

Question -- this may be a dumb question, but I saw in the YouTube video that you plugged it in and you changed the track through the unit, but noticed that you could've probably done it through the phone as well since it stayed on the home screen. On the other hand, the picture right below the video you posted, shows me that dreaded screen I hate! When I see that, like I do in my current setup, that means I can't change the track on the phone!

Can you clarify what the difference between the two sets of media?
If you connect it via the dynavin's ipod cord you can only control it through the head unit. Thats how most ipod compatible devices are. If you prefer to control it via the phone I would suggest just using bluetooth OR connecting to the AUX IN with an adapter cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerob97 View Post
any comment to the earlier question about satellite radio? That is the only reason I would not consider this unit.
From what I have seen its not going to happen. Sat radio is a north america only product and dynavin designs these for use globally. Its also a service that is in decline as the industry (including SiriusXM) move more towards streaming content via wireless networks. Its been discussed in the past but just didnt make sense for Dynavin from a investment/return point of view.

You can or course install a stand alone tuner an run the audio to the dynavin's aux in, OR use the SiriusXM app on a smartphone and AUX IN/Bluetooth stream the audio to the dynavin. But if thats a deal breaker for you, there are other options out there.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 10-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Zort86

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Hey guy's I am new to the thread and had a few questions.
I have a 05 E46 325ci Convertible and I am looking to replace my stock business radio with a in dash nav unit, and I have been looking at the D99+
Question s I have is what would be better to go with the Windows CE, or the Android?
I know it has a connection to iPhones, but what about connecting to a Android phone (Galaxy S2)
How are you mounting the USB, AUX, Apple connections? Are they all connected through the glove box?
I am guess at this point there is no sat radio options, right?
What options are there to add sat radio? I would hate to have to install a separate XM radio unit, and if I hide in the glove box or trunk it would be hard to see the screen to tune different stations.
I know the android system uses a wifi hot spot to get updates and down load apps, but what about the Win CE version?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be able to get my head wrapped around all the features and functions before pulling the trigger on ordering one.
Zort86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #39
klinwart

My Ride: Audi TT mk2 coupe
I notice that the D99+ has DAB interface, how will the optional tuner connect ?
klinwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #40
ViperZ

My Ride: 1992 325i & 2006 M3
Quote:
Dynavin "D99 PLUS"

Improved Bluetooth Phone Integration:

Dynavin is still using the Parrot bluetooth system but has changed a few things.
Minor feature but your paired phone's signal strength and charge level now display at the top of the screen on the audio screens, (or at least it does with the phones Ive tried). Bluetooth streaming audio quality is now almost indistinguishable from being plugged in (although the D99 was pretty good too).

So, if my D99 unit purchased in Sept has the signal strength and battery bars, is it a D99+ ??
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d99, d99+, dynavin, gps, navigation