E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
New Fuel Filter = better performance?

Okay, I may be crazy but...

My fuel pump left the party instantly when I went to leave a parking garage the other day. It would crank - start - die, crank - start - die. Then no start. I yanked the rear seat and had a helper turn the key where I could hear nothing with my ear on the pump location.

I got lazy and had it towed to my Indy who was closer then my house and thought whatever, let them deal with it. The diagnosis was a DOA pump but he suggested I should have the filter changed as well. Why not? I had neglected it now at 80K miles.

So $500 later I get her back. The strange thing is, I swear the car runs better now! The off idle and mid-range throttle response is clearly more responsive. I have driven it a week now and the same route I take every day is a great test with on ramps and long, steep hills. The car runs like I added a mini super charger.

Could the fuel filter actually make that much of a difference? I know it has a pressure regulator built in that may play into this. If this is plausible, I highly recommend you lazy guys (like me) jerk that old filter and possibly restore lost ponies. The stupid filter is around $100 so be prepared.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
zabalzae

My Ride: 01 330ci
Why jerk it? Why not just replace it? You want crap to go to the injectors? More expensive... the fuel filter makes a big difference when dirty because it doesnt allow enough fuel to the injectors. Imagine if one of ur heart Arteries clogged, then you wouldnt work..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App
zabalzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
White_Knuckles

By "jerk", I meant replace it not bypass the filter/regulator. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Yup... I have one in the garage... I just need to install it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I agree - I too have found a slight increase in pep/response after a filter change.

Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 10-01-2012 at 11:49 AM.
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
I have one sitting on the shelf to install, just haven't had the time to put it in.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
The fuel filter will start to clod with age and miles, slightly reducing flow and pressure and the pressure regulator itself will start to weaken with age and miles. Best to replace as the maintenance schedule recommends for cleaner fuel, better performance and cleaner injectors.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
Yep- this is my next preventative maintanence on the list.
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yea, filter does make a small difference but what you're feeling are the effects of a new fuel pump.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
Universal rule of thumb. If you notice a difference after changing a filter... you waited too long to change that filter.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
White_Knuckles

Pump gas isn't exactly loaded with contaminants and debris. In the old days, metal tanks would scale and rust creating all kinds of nastys to get trapped in filters. I went crazy and chopped my filter in half to inspect the element. It was discolored, sort of gray but definitely not clogged with scary stuff. I'm leaning toward a weakened pressure regulator or as Soildjake mentions, a fresh pump pushing the juice harder.

May never know what performed the magic but nice to see others noticing an improvement as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
2002GreenBMW

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Damn son, 500 bucks? It took me 30 minutes to replace the fuel pump with a YouTube diy
2002GreenBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #13
willkenni05

My Ride: '04 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002GreenBMW View Post
Damn son, 500 bucks? It took me 30 minutes to replace the fuel pump with a YouTube diy
Exactly! Probably not the job to get lazy on! Cost of the pump + 30 min would have saved you quite a bit of cash...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
willkenni05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Your fuel filter probably did help alot, but also if your fuel pump was getting weak it could have been delivering less than optimal fuel pressure.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote