E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
BMW has gone to electric assist for its power steering (as has Porsche), which seems to reduce feedback by a substantial amount. The numbering system started going haywire with the e27 generation, when the later 320i cars came with a reduced capacity 1.8 litre engine. This continued with the e36 generation, when the 323i actually came with a 2.5 litre engine, as opposed to the 2.3 capacity one would suspect. The same was true for the e46 323i.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
As far as an electrically powered steering pump goes, I THINK think this is done to help "eek out" a bit more engine fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. With California and Euro emissions requirements ever tightening (meaning becoming more stringent), manufacturers are looking to find improvements where they can. Cars now have cylinder deactivation, which isn't exactly a new idea but it's in the big Audi sedans and the Bentley V8, and cars are shutting off at stop lights to reduce emissions. Not all new things are bad; personally, I'd rather have cleaner air to breathe. Back to the Harris video on the M, I agree!
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
DSilk56

BMW could make substantially more gains in fuel efficiency if it would pare the mass down by a couple of hundred kilos than by adding electric assist. While mandated safety equipment has added mass to cars, there is no reason that a 3 series BMW should be larger than a third generation 5-series and weigh 3,500 lbs. To me there is no good reason to sacrifice driver involvement and tactile feedback for the sake of a gain of a few tenths of an mpg. Want to go green? Drive less or buy a Prius.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
dcdude68

My Ride: 2004 M3 Convertible
So back to the topic, Chris Harris is a smart, entertaining writer who I know from my Porsche days. He is a pretty regular contributor to Excellence magazine and a follow 993 lover = OK by me!
dcdude68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
FreddyM3

My Ride: M3
I knew I had great taste in cars, now an expert confirmed it. Wish it was not raining so I was in my M3 today instead of my Old SUV/Beater.
FreddyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
DSilk56

It is sad to see great marques like BMW spiraling into the eddies of mediocrity, but the combination of mass marketing and government regulation has resulted in the production of technically competent but dull vehicles. The latest issue of Car and Driver has a comparison test between the new BMW 328i and the Cadillac ATS. While the BMW won the points contest, the drivers universally complained about its lack of steering feedback and its lack of the fun factor. Dead steering in a BMW? Who would have thought we would ever come to this? I guess it is less of a surprise, considering that the new 2013 Porsches are being criticized for the same thing, and it all ties into their insane switch to electronic assist for the power steering. As cars get bigger (marketing), more bloated (thanks to EU pedestrian safety standards), and more computer-assisted (thanks to the insurance lobby and CAFE), the joys of driving may not survive for another generation. Cars are predominantly mass marketed to a non-car-enthusiast public composed of people who don't really want to drive, who can't manage a real manual gearbox, and who have never driven a car without power-assisted steering and brakes. The go-carts and mini-bikes that many of us grew up with have been replaced by computer monitors and keypads. Go-carts had real steering feel, while computer controls don't.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
^obama tells me you didn't write that
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
nojoda

My Ride: 06 M3Vert 6MT JB/CIN
dont buy an e46 with the 19's its a bit of BLING lol

great vid except for the e30 being overrated. gtfo hahaha

2006 BMW M3 VERT 6MT (CURRENT)
2007 B7 AUDI A4 2.0T CVT FWD (BRILLIANT BLACK) TRADED

2002 E46 BMW M3 SMG II (TIAG) RIP
nojoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shark View Post
Don't forget the weight disparity of having power seats and manual seats. And have you used manual seats before? It's way quicker to adjust than powered seats.

Also listen to about 8:50 on the video and what Mr Harris has to say about cars that have lesser technology in them.
Manual seats are 2 lbs per seat lighter than power.

You never have to wait on power seats because seat memory means they're always in your position.

Manual seats don't hold you in place well because they don't have adjustable side bolstering and cause back pain because they don't have lumbar support.

My first e46 M3 had manual seats because I was thinking like you were. Never again. They're far, far worse.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #30
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
i was expecting someone asian.

Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
s1monove

My Ride: M3 Coupe
Just watched this again..great vid. He's damn right about how good it looks too. Great car!!!