E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
///M3AN-MIKE

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
worn carrier bearing causes exact symptoms, replaced mine...all gone
///M3AN-MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #22
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3AN-MIKE View Post
worn carrier bearing you mean the CSB? The thing that supports the driveshaft?

If so, I replaced that and still have the vibration that the OP describd only mine is a 5speed.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///m3an-mike View Post
+1
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
CSB Center Support Bearing preload confusion/clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby_baker View Post
... I did 'preload' the carrier bearing by pushing it toward the rear of the car as it shows in picture in the Bentley, even though it says in the text 'push toward the front'.
I don't think the CSB should be preloaded by pushing it to the rear.

I believe it is correct to do as the Bentley *text* states, "...by pushing the bearing forward 4-6mm from center."

I researched the reasoning for preloading. I found an explanation I liked (in the E39 section of bimmerfest): "...when the car is lowered, the Rear Differential moves upward ... and ... the Driveshaft moves forward a few mm."

The reasoning goes on to say that preloading would not be necessary at all if the CSB is bolted down when the car is resting on its wheels, as when a mechanic works from within a pit, over which the car was driven.

Bentley has confused things by showing an "xi" rear driveshaft without labeling it as "xi" (see DRIVESHAFTS 260-5 in Bentley, which the reader would assume to be a RWD).

The word "center" is confusing too. Center in relation to what?

From the Bentley photo, I am guessing that the oblong holes in the CSB mounting bracket would be "centered" if the bolts sat in the middle of those holes. However, the photo clearly shows the CSB pushed toward the "front" of the car (top of photo). The bolts are clearly off-center in the oblong holes.

The reasoning makes sense to me so I wanted to share it here.

OP: Sorry for this late information. I just found it today--I'm going to pull my own drive shaft very soon (for flex disc, csb, etc) and wanted to get my ducks in a row. I've gone cross-eyed with all the reading and sorting truth from fiction but I've think I've got it now.

Images are from realoem 1) 325i driveshaft, 2) 325xi driveshaft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft for RWD from realoem.png
Views:	139
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	484510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveshaft for AWD xi from realoem.png
Views:	173
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	484512  
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #25
grubby_baker

My Ride: 2005 325xi
Thanks for the background/feedback, Latitude. The car has seem to be doing fine since I have installed the new driveshaft. We are now only experiencing a clunk from the passenger front side when going through a crappy parking lot. It might be engine mount or strut? The engine doesn't move a lot when you press on the pedal in park (like on YouTube). I'll start a new post.
grubby_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby_baker View Post
Thanks for the background/feedback, Latitude. The car has seem to be doing fine since I have installed the new driveshaft. We are now only experiencing a clunk from the passenger front side when going through a crappy parking lot. It might be engine mount or strut? The engine doesn't move a lot when you press on the pedal in park (like on YouTube). I'll start a new post.
If you hear a clunk during parking lot type of driving (slow speed?) then I would assume its your swaybar link.

Had the exact same issue, fast speed I wouldn't hear a thing, slow speeds I could hear it. Turned out to be swaybar link in the front
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #27
4hoods

My Ride: 02' 325xit 5sp white

Part of my issue.
Same 2nd 3rd vib. 5sp Some thudding. Need to break bolts for exhaust due to rust. Haven't had time to get drive shaft out. But have Csb and guibo hoping its nit like front shaft in video.
Just replaced front billy sport and eibach and now front end bottoms out. Rear m3 shocks and mounts in. Front cv. At my end.
4hoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #28
4hoods

My Ride: 02' 325xit 5sp white

Part of my issue.
Same 2nd 3rd vib. 5sp Some thudding. Need to break bolts for exhaust due to rust. Haven't had time to get drive shaft out. But have Csb and guibo hoping its nit like front shaft in video.
Just replaced front billy sport and eibach and now front end bottoms out. Rear m3 shocks and mounts in. Front cv. At my end.
4hoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, transmission, vibration