E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
jared_wiesner
All Natural

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
M54/M52tu Cam Timing Tool - Review

I just wanted to post an honest review to thank German Auto Solutions for bringing such a great product to market at a great price. They scratched the E46 communities back by supporting us with this kit. I feel the least I can do in return is tell everyone about it.

*Disclaimer* I am in no way affiliated with German Auto Solutions nor is this an ad for their tools. It is simply an honest review of the timing kit I received from them.

I recently installed Schrick 264/252 cams in my 328i and it certainly is a great change. It just pulls so hard all the way to redline. If you are serious about N/A power in your M54 or M52tu, this is the piece that makes the whole puzzle of mods really perform. The issue with doing this affordably has always been that it is nearly out of reach of anyone who wants to do it themselves. The job is very difficult without guidance. On top of that, the tools necessary to time the new camshafts are typically sold for even more money than the cams cost in the first place. This means many people are forced to take the job to the dealer or an experienced independent shop where costs can get very extreme for the 10+ hours of labour they often charge. The tools needed typically cost upwards of $1000.00 for the official dealer version or around $500.00 for a copy set on Ebay.

German Auto Solutions has solved this with their new timing sets. They offer a personal grade timing kit for those on a budget. Cost for this kit is $100.00
Or, if you want a similar kit to the dealership one, you can get the professional grade kit for $220.00. They sent me both so I could be the guinea pig and give them both a try while timing my cams. Everything I received is in in the picture below

With the personal kit you get everything you see in the picture except for the big red aluminum Vanos timing piece at the bottom and the red tensioner tool on the left (the red hex headed cylinder with the knob screwing through it). Instead of utilizing both of these pieces, GAS has found a way to use the pins you see along the right side of the sprocket diagram to do the same job as both of these items. (the pins are combined with your oem tensioner and vanos unit so that these factory pieces off your engine can be utilized as tools during the timing process) This is how they are able to make the personal kit so affordable.

The Professional kit is made up of everything you see in the picture minus the pins and wrench on the right side of the sprocket diagram.

Not only do you get the kit, but GAS has graciously made and posted DIY instructions for Cam removal, install, and timing in the DIY section on their website. Check it out
www.germanautosolutions.com

Both kits worked next to flawlessly for timing the car as I have also gone and made a DIY for these forums using both kits. Here is the Link to the DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=952124 The only issue I had was a slight fitment problem due to a strange casting on my schrick cams that didn't allow the rear cam block holding tool to fit properly. It worked great on the OEM cams. (The BMW official tool would have likely also had the same problem with my particular set of Schrick cams) I simply had to grind a small edge of the tool and it worked perfectly. Gary at German Auto Solutions has assured me that all new block holding tools going out will be shaped slightly differently to account for this, so it won't be a problem for anyone else. They really do stand behind their products. I highly recommend the German Auto Solutions timing kits and at the price they are being offered, they really should be the only kit you buy. You can't rent these tools for any cheaper than this.

--- Jared Wiesner

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 10-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Awesome .. When I get home ill read up on how to time the cams.. I might wanna switch to a fi cam setup when I get there so this might save me a ton of time and money
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
I have it all to rent if interested
Jackcat559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Steven747

Wow after that DIY I'm sort of scared
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
Wow after that DIY I'm sort of scared
It's not that bad, you just have to take your time and work through it carefully and slowly. It helps to set up a nice big table to lay everything out and keep things separated.... but its not that bad. You should be decently experienced with working on cars before attempting this though.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 10-24-2012 at 11:21 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
minnie1234
Account Under Review

My Ride: 1994 BMW 325I Conver
Quote:
Awesome .. When I get home ill read up on how to time the cams.. I might wanna switch to a fi cam setup when I get there so this might save me a ton of time and money
I just did the same thing i rented the tools from a website amazing sets for rent cheap to..
minnie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie1234 View Post
I just did the same thing i rented the tools from a website amazing sets for rent cheap to..
Was it hard?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
minnie1234
Account Under Review

My Ride: 1994 BMW 325I Conver
Quote:
Was it hard?
no but you need the tools though,, it took me 2 weeks roughly..
minnie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
I rent the kit for $50 plus shipping
Jackcat559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
jared_wiesner
All Natural

You can own for 100...