E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Vacuum canister delete (for exhaust flap)

Has anyone ever deleted their vacuum canister? Since most do the golf-tee mod, it seems stupid to just have it sitting there. It's apparently held on by one bolt and it seems the vacuum line either goes to the intake manifold or some other vacuum check valve. If so, I'd think you can just yank it out and put a cap on whereever the vacuum line connects. This would just eliminate another area which could be potential for a vacuum leak. I mean what about the rubber line that runs from this canister to the exhaust?

Thoughts? Anyone tried this?

Part #18101740207 for anyone curious what I am talking about.

Part #9... bolts to driver's side of the engine block right by starter

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
If the vacuum line goes directly to the manifold, might as well check if the 325s and ZHPs have any ports blocked off from the factory (since they don't have the exhaust flapper)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
My car has the same system; part #1 is an electronically controlled actuator. I wonder if you'd end up throwing some weird code by tearing it out.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Get part #11611727176 (hint: E39) to plug up the port on the intake manifold, previously occupied by the hose going to the vacuum reservoir. For the vacuum line running through the firewall into engine bay, use a golf tee to plug it up. Get part #51712258519 to plug up the hole where the vacuum line runs from the exhaust flap through the trunk body inside to the electronic valve. Unplug the electrical connector to the electronic valve. Wrap the connector with cloth tape to prevent the plug from causing a racket. No codes are thrown as a result of the delete. You now have enough information to go and delete this retarded exhaust flap.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Great posts. Definitely on my to-do list. I'm assuming I should just follow the line from the canister to the manifold and I'll find the port there to plug. Couldnt I just physically pull the line out that runs underneath the car? Not sure why I'd want to plug a hose that's just dead weight. again, good info. THANKS!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Wait or did you mean to plug the body of the car?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Wait or did you mean to plug the body of the car?
Seems like he meant plug the body of the car with the 40mm plug (51712258519), trash the vacuum reservoir and plug the vacuum line that is going from the reservoir through the firewall since it may be tough to fully remove it.
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
fernando629

My Ride: 325Xi 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Has anyone ever deleted their vacuum canister? Since most do the golf-tee mod, it seems stupid to just have it sitting there. It's apparently held on by one bolt and it seems the vacuum line either goes to the intake manifold or some other vacuum check valve. If so, I'd think you can just yank it out and put a cap on whereever the vacuum line connects. This would just eliminate another area which could be potential for a vacuum leak. I mean what about the rubber line that runs from this canister to the exhaust?

Thoughts? Anyone tried this?

Part #18101740207 for anyone curious what I am talking about.

Part #9... bolts to driver's side of the engine block right by starter

Mango do you know where line #8 goes into the intake manifold. I've been having lean codes due to vaccum leaks and I'm thinking this might be the cause. I checked the vale with the car on but it appears to not work, as it let's air pass at idle. I've unppluged the valve and capped the vaccum line in the trunk were it goes into the front of the car.

This vale hasn't worked in a while now, so I want to make sure I don't have a possible vaccum leak.

Edit:
I unplugged it today, so tomorrow I will post if it threw a code, I've been reading you want to know. Checked after I unplugged it with INPA and DIS and no codes, at least not at idle.

Also, my flap is always open, not stuck as I can move it with my finger and with no golf tee mod, hence why I think the vale has been dead for a while. There's vaccum on the line that comes from the front of the car

Last edited by fernando629; 10-23-2012 at 11:57 PM.
fernando629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
I deleted mine 2 years ago. Plug the vac line at the back side of the manifold. Simple job with no codes. The flap is always open on my car.

Last edited by kwikt; 10-24-2012 at 07:46 AM.
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
TArse

My Ride: 03 330xi, 87 325is
Vacuum canister delete (for exhaust flap)

Are the vac lines on the manifold difficult to get to?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
TArse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
aldeghij

Quote:
Originally Posted by TArse View Post
Are the vac lines on the manifold difficult to get to?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes, it's tight back there. I did my vacuum lines from the SAP to the manifold the other day and stuggled more than expected. It was a pain scraping all the old rotten hoses off the fittings on the back of the manifold.

As far as vacuum line number 8, it goes to the back of the manifold, right next to the rubber cap that's on there. It's just above where the line comes into the manifold from the check valve. I've attached a pic graciously provided to me by drew@swiftmotorwerks. I broke this hose on accident the other day when replacing the SAP lines. Personally I want to replace it because I don't like the sound of my car with the butterfly valve open all the time. Sounds like a hunk o junk to me. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intakemanifoldvacuumrea.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	512059  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeghij View Post
Yes, it's tight back there. I did my vacuum lines from the SAP to the manifold the other day and stuggled more than expected. It was a pain scraping all the old rotten hoses off the fittings on the back of the manifold.

As far as vacuum line number 8, it goes to the back of the manifold, right next to the rubber cap that's on there. It's just above where the line comes into the manifold from the check valve. I've attached a pic graciously provided to me by drew@swiftmotorwerks. I broke this hose on accident the other day when replacing the SAP lines. Personally I want to replace it because I don't like the sound of my car with the butterfly valve open all the time. Sounds like a hunk o junk to me. lol.
Then I guess E36 M3 or ZHPs sound like hunks of junks cause they sound the same, if not similar with this mod. Those cars don't have such restrictions at low RPMs.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. Sounds great

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
GuiltySpark

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Great posts. Definitely on my to-do list. I'm assuming I should just follow the line from the canister to the manifold and I'll find the port there to plug. Couldnt I just physically pull the line out that runs underneath the car? Not sure why I'd want to plug a hose that's just dead weight. again, good info. THANKS!
Mine was just hanging, no codes or anything. When I finally found out about the mode i discovered the valve was actually stuck closed and the exhaust pipe was almost half clogged with carbon deposits.
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
aldeghij

Quote:
Then I guess E36 M3 or ZHPs sound like hunks of junks cause they sound the same, if not similar with this mod. Those cars don't have such restrictions at low RPMs.

Personally I wouldn't have it any other way. Sounds great
Well, mine's an automatic, so I think that's part of it. It seems to accentuate every sound of the tranny shifting. On a manual it probably would sound better. Hell I dunno.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Well, mine's an automatic, so I think that's part of it. It seems to accentuate every sound of the tranny shifting. On a manual it probably would sound better. Hell I dunno.
you're probably right. i can hear the auto tranny shifting being exaggerated with this. sounds like crap probably

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I ran the golf tee mod for a few months a couple of years ago. I don't recall the automatic transmission being more audible, but my flap started to rattle around because I simply pinched the vacuum line instead of removing it (too dry and rotted to mess with). I may have to experiment with it again and potentially give this a shot.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
aldeghij

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I ran the golf tee mod for a few months a couple of years ago. I don't recall the automatic transmission being more audible, but my flap started to rattle around because I simply pinched the vacuum line instead of removing it (too dry and rotted to mess with). I may have to experiment with it again and potentially give this a shot.
The transmission isn't really more audible itself, I just seem to hear it shifting more now that the exhaust is louder. Who knows, maybe i'm just OCD...
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
aldeghij

So question, if I decided that redoing that hose from the manifold (I have nothing on the manifold right now, so i'm getting ses light) to the vacuum canister was just too much of a pain in the arse, and decided to keep my unintended golf tee mod, where would you find a cap for the back of the manifold? I see the 7 mm one on ECS Tuning, but this one would be more like the size of the vaccuum lines (3mm???) Haven't been able to locate a cap that small.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
So question, if I decided that redoing that hose from the manifold (I have nothing on the manifold right now, so i'm getting ses light) to the vacuum canister was just too much of a pain in the arse, and decided to keep my unintended golf tee mod, where would you find a cap for the back of the manifold? I see the 7 mm one on ECS Tuning, but this one would be more like the size of the vaccuum lines (3mm???) Haven't been able to locate a cap that small.
buy an assortment pack from auto parts store. one of them will fit

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
aldeghij

Quote:
buy an assortment pack from auto parts store. one of them will fit
Cool, thanks. Didn't know those existed...