E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #2361
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Id try to keep the scarf tucked into a jacket. As long as the scarf isnt sashaying in the wind, youll be fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2362
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I have a shoe care question.....

If I use Obenauf's HDLP on CXL leather, I know that it will dull the leather but the tradeoff is total water/snow/weather protection. Will I be able to strip the HDLP off at a later time and return it to a normal shine?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #2363
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I have a shoe care question.....

If I use Obenauf's HDLP on CXL leather, I know that it will dull the leather but the tradeoff is total water/snow/weather protection. Will I be able to strip the HDLP off at a later time and return it to a normal shine?
HDLP is used with propolis which is basically sap. and i don't know how well/even that breaks down over time. you want something that will break down evenly and not leave any residue on the boot.

i would recommend just using pitch blend to be honest, or straight mink oil. CXL is by nature heavily oil impregnated. you don't need them to be totally water proof.

i've had very good results with pitch blend, which is beeswax, mink oil, and a low amount of pine pitch. after each wear i wipe it down with a damp cloth, brush, and they're good. water beads right off, and if you follow this regimen, you'll just reapply a coat every 2-3 months or so with normal use.

if you're wearing them in the rain and snow every single day, you'll need to apply more frequently.

EDIT: this is the method i use, i've posted it here previously. it works. like i said, just add the wipe down and horehair brush post-wear and you're good to go.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 10-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #2364
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I have a shoe question as well... cough cough Dwass this is cordovan related.

I walked in the AE store a couple weeks ago and noticed that my strands are MUCH darker than the floor model that they had. I am using the AE "Dark Brown" cordovan cream that they recommended. The reason I loved the strands was because they were a lighter brown... Any suggestions? They told me to use the conditioner/cleaner that I have, however that bottle states that it is for calf leather, and also the website Q&A says that the cleaner is not suitable for cordovan.

I am thinking... Saphir Reno to remove everything and condition the leather, and then what? Any particular (lighter) brown cordovan cream you can recommend?

Thanks
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2365
imolazhp_ci

reno? i hope you mean renovateur and not renomat.

don't use saphir renomat on cordovan if you don't have to. i would start with a very diluted saddle soap from saphir. this will get most of the dye out, then use two applications of renovateur. then a neutral cordovan cream from saphir.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #2366
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Forgive me, YMWDLOM, for I am wearing loafers with a suit today.
Key question: does it look good?

That's something that bugs the hell out of me over on StyleForum. So many posters there are obsessed with "rules" of dressing/style. I tend to have a pretty rigid set of rules for myself, but I don't see anything wrong with bending them every once in a while if something looks good to me.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2367
VaderDave
Invictus

More rain today. Time for more tweed and more v-necks. I love this time of year.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #2368
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
HDLP is used with propolis which is basically sap. and i don't know how well/even that breaks down over time. you want something that will break down evenly and not leave any residue on the boot.

i would recommend just using pitch blend to be honest, or straight mink oil. CXL is by nature heavily oil impregnated. you don't need them to be totally water proof.

i've had very good results with pitch blend, which is beeswax, mink oil, and a low amount of pine pitch. after each wear i wipe it down with a damp cloth, brush, and they're good. water beads right off, and if you follow this regimen, you'll just reapply a coat every 2-3 months or so with normal use.

if you're wearing them in the rain and snow every single day, you'll need to apply more frequently.

EDIT: this is the method i use, i've posted it here previously. it works. like i said, just add the wipe down and horehair brush post-wear and you're good to go.

Thanks! I keep going back and forth on what to do. My wife and I are heading to London, Amsterdam and Paris for 10 days at the end of December/beginning of January.....the weather for those places is typically rainy that time of year. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to buy a pair boot overshoes, treat my Bayfields in the method that you just outlined, or purchasing a pair of Hunter Chelsea rain boots.

Edit: Or something more casual like these

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...~~~~/71422.jsp

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-24-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2369
imolazhp_ci

you can try it with JUST the renovateur first, still two applications, but it may not get it all out. in my opinion better to start fresh.

here is a detailed tutorial. http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/...hell-cordovan/
Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #2370
imolazhp_ci

Quote:

Thanks! I keep going back and forth on what to do. My wife and I are heading to London, Amsterdam and Paris for 10 days at the end of December/beginning of January.....the weather for those places is typically rainy that time of year. I've been going back and forth on whether or not to buy a pair boot overshoes, treat my Bayfields in the method that you just outlined, or purchasing a pair of Hunter Chelsea rain boots.

Edit: Or something more casual like these

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...~~~~/71422.jsp
i would treat the whole shoe/boot with the method i described as well as get some swims for the lower half/sole. i used to live in paris and spent many months a year in london for work. it will be raining non-stop during that time. better spend the $90 on swims (or cheaper alternative) than destroy your soles (and thereby your soul).
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #2371
evolved

Quote:
i would treat the whole shoe/boot with the method i described as well as get some swims for the lower half/sole. i used to live in paris and spent many months a year in london for work. it will be raining non-stop during that time. better spend the $90 on swims (or cheaper alternative) than destroy your soles (and thereby your soul).
The boots in question (CXL Bayfields) have a lug sole, so no risk there. But my Dalton boots, on the other hand, would benefit from some overshoes.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #2372
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
The boots in question (CXL Bayfields) have a lug sole, so no risk there. But my Dalton boots, on the other hand, would benefit from some overshoes.
yeah... use the method above and bayfield's will be gravy. dalton's, definitely some overshoes... even if just a crappy $30 pair from ebay for the trip.

the key is if they do get wet, let them dry for 24 hours with trees in before wearing again. you will be all good.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 10-24-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #2373
evolved

By the way, is this the pitch blend that you are referring to?

http://shop.treatleather.com/LeatherDressing4oz.aspx

(I imagine it says it in the video you posted, but youtube is blocked at work)

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #2374
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
By the way, is this the pitch blend that you are referring to?

http://shop.treatleather.com/LeatherDressing4oz.aspx
yep!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #2375
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
reno? i hope you mean renovateur and not renomat.

don't use saphir renomat on cordovan if you don't have to. i would start with a very diluted saddle soap from saphir. this will get most of the dye out, then use two applications of renovateur. then a neutral cordovan cream from saphir.
yes, renovateur...

really, saddle soap? I thought that was used primarily on nubuck and what not... thanks for the suggestion. I think I might buy the neutral and brown shell cream and blend them, which they stated on their website if a lighter polish color was desired
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #2376
imolazhp_ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
yes, renovateur...

really, saddle soap? I thought that was used primarily on nubuck and what not... thanks for the suggestion. I think I might buy the neutral and brown shell cream and blend them, which they stated on their website if a lighter polish color was desired
lot's of places say don't use saddle soap to clean cordovan. the saphir one is mild and if you dilute it it's fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #2377
VaderDave
Invictus

The client I just met with had the buttons on his collar unbuttoned.

OCD overload.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #2378
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
That would be annoying to look at

Dave
Pray that I can make it over the mountain safely later today... otherwise it is one more night in tahoe

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #2379
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
That would be annoying to look at

Dave
Pray that I can make it over the mountain safely later today... otherwise it is one more night in tahoe

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Better safe than sorry. There are lots of things worse than being snowed in at Tahoe.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #2380
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Yeah... but this is getting old
The sun did come out here... but I still see some darker clouds over the mountains so I will just have to keep checking on the road conditions

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote