E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Legalfish

My Ride: 325i
The three wire connector to Cooling Fan?

I just recently bought a 2002 325i 5MT for a second car. Once I started driving it the Silverado has been sitting a bunch and it has quickly become my number one car.

So the car overheats. I am a decent shade tree so i check it out and viola the fan is dead. or dying as it runs sometimes. Get a Bosch replacement off ebay. Figure out the plastic dealies dont actually turn and get the fan in/out in 5 minutes. Bingo bango new fan in car and all is well!

WELL, three weeks later Bosch fan no worky!
I read the Mango/Max threads here on board OUCH, sure hope just the fan.

I go on a 50 mile drive, NO overheat except stopped. No cooling issues, no leaks.

So i am wondering did I get a bad fan or is a trigger/exciter wire switch relay bad or??

I looked at the three wire connector. there is an obvious 12 volt key on, then an obvious ground, but then there is probably an on/off wire i call them exciter wires. that is of smaller guage.

Is that wire ground, 12v when needed or ?

Thanks
Legalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Legalfish

While searching posts I saw where this may be a phased wire set to come on with inputs of more than one type.

So I guess real question is can I check the electric fan by some combination of 12v/ground to determine if fan is not working or not being told to work?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Legalfish

Well as with most things if you do enough work you will often answer your own question. I found this in a very good discussion on fan subject.

"What you can do is splice the small third wire going to the connector and pulse this to GND with your hand , if the fan spins the connection between ECU and fan is faulty or the ECU isnt giving any pulses (not meeting the coolant temp requirement or vehicle speed is to great)

If it doesnt spin when you pulse the wire to GND either your fan or fan controller is broken , it's pretty hard to seperate the controller from the fan though(brass clamps that rather break than bend)

If you want i can do a vid tomorrow on how to pulse the fan if you dont understand me."

Thank You SweTurbo

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Legalfish

Well this may be a first.

1. Indeed the pulse was there. Fan was coming on as instructed by ECU and Thermostat.

2. How I know is I went to take the fan out and the BLADE fell off. Apparently the one place that needed loctite was the last place they installed it!

3. Pics to follow. The first is the back side of fan, you can see where the last bolt tried to hang in and wobble.

A. Photobucket
Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Legalfish

What is this little black box and what does it control? It is just sitting on top off fan. looks like one of the inputs that may cause fan to turn on.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Legalfish

Some of the pics. I did take off the cover just to see what the relay on fan looked like. I would think an EE degree would be needed or a semiconductor repair facility to DIY this dude.

I cant believe the blade just "fell off"!

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Mystery Area

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
So the screws that hold the blades on fell out? That's shitty. Anyway, you probably have a bad fan relay. Stop taking the fan apart because it's probably good. Just find the screws and reinstall them with locktite.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/13621433077/ES34327/

I'm pretty sure these are on the manual cars as well even though it says auxiliary fan relay. Someone please verify this before this guy buys the wrong part.

The fan relay or temperature sensor is number 4 in this photo. It is what tells the fan to turn on or off based on coolant temperature.

Last edited by WDE46; 10-24-2012 at 02:26 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Legalfish

Shitty is a hella good word for this one. That does look like the relay. But I think it is working. The fan is Turning when it gets warm so I assume the balde just actually FELL OFF.

I hate EBAY!

Bought the Bosch and probably sold me Nosch or O'Gosh.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalfish View Post
Shitty is a hella good word for this one. That does look like the relay. But I think it is working. The fan is Turning when it gets warm so I assume the balde just actually FELL OFF.

I hate EBAY!

Bought the Bosch and probably sold me Nosch or O'Gosh.
Yeah, don't ebay unless you know for sure what you're getting. If it says Bosch, the it's Bosch though. Look at parts on Autohausaz.com BMAParts.com ECSTuning.com getbmwparts.com

Use realoem.com to find parts and numbers.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, cooling fan, e46