E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #61
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
From a "scientific" standpoint on why demanding cardio is a no-no before a weightlifting session:

Glycogen in the muscles enables high exertion, and you only have so much of it in your bodily stores. It is replaced via dietary carbs for the most part. Consider this your "endurance". If you exert yourself before trying to lift heavy weights, your glycogen will pretty much be depleted, and your workout (and therefore gains) will suffer. You want to be in prime condition to go as hard and heavy as possible, and you shouldn't even THINK about being able to go for a run after. There are some days after a leg workout where I struggle to push the clutch down in my car lol

There's a lot more to this but I tried my best at a simple explanation
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #62
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
yeah i dont expect overnight miracles haha. im pretty impressed already of my progression and i find it fun challenging myself in lifting since i dont really have any other hobbies that involve being physically active. im really impressed with all the knowledge this forum has on the topic. i guess ill just have to start bringing my protein with me (since im never at home) everywhere i go lol.

im actually really excited to lift today with all this new info ive received. im gonna try out not running before my lift and just stretch and run after. i will also be drinking a lot more water now. im honestly not even sure if i should do squats today since im going to freaknight on friday and i dont wanna be sore...but my recovery time hasnt been too bad so i dont think it will be a problem

Dude, do the squats! FALL IN LOVE WITH THE SQUAT. You'll be fine!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #63
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
From a "scientific" standpoint on why demanding cardio is a no-no before a weightlifting session:

Glycogen in the muscles enables high exertion, and you only have so much of it in your bodily stores. It is replaced via dietary carbs for the most part. Consider this your "endurance". If you exert yourself before trying to lift heavy weights, your glycogen will pretty much be depleted, and your workout (and therefore gains) will suffer. You want to be in prime condition to go as hard and heavy as possible, and you shouldn't even THINK about being able to go for a run after. There are some days after a leg workout where I struggle to push the clutch down in my car lol

There's a lot more to this but I tried my best at a simple explanation
ok so maybe i should just skip running all together today and just go hard on tomorrow or saturday.

if that is the case i should be able to squat more than what i thought?

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #64
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
That sounds awful. To be completely honest, my body is good enough and there's 0 reason to cut out bread.
Each to their own, I don't condemn bread as the 8th deadly sin but I personally noticed when I eliminated bread from my diet I generally felt more healthy / rested on a daily basis... nothing to do with body composition. I think its because I was gluten sensitive, but who knows.

Limiting my OVERALL carb intake to 150g on training days and minimal amounts on rest days has made a noticeable difference in body composition, not just eliminating bread specifically. I was in the 400-450g crowd before.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #65
dabears

Quote:
ok so maybe i should just skip running all together today and just go hard on tomorrow or saturday.

if that is the case i should be able to squat more than what i thought?
squat what you can while maintaining good form, for whatever rep scheme you want, a good example rep scheme is 5x5 or 8x3.. you should feel like you wouldn't be able to do another one on the last rep, that's when you know you are using a good weight for your strength level.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #66
OrisuE46

Quote:
squat what you can while maintaining good form, for whatever rep scheme you want, a good example rep scheme is 5x5 or 8x3.. you should feel like you wouldn't be able to do another one on the last rep, that's when you know you are using a good weight for your strength level.
i will keep that in mind. for my reps though its like 12, 6, 10... should i use the first set to warm up on lighter weight since its 12? or do my warm up before and then to my heavy lift?

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #67
OrisuE46

dont flame me since im still a beginner when it comes to squats but i bought these a few weeks ago and love them so far.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
dabears

Quote:
i will keep that in mind. for my reps though its like 12, 6, 10... should i use the first set to warm up on lighter weight since its 12? or do my warm up before and then to my heavy lift?
I'd ask your buddy exactly what he meant from the rep ranges, but it looks like you should start off with a lighter weight x 12, heavy weight x 6, moderate weight x 10 but I'm slightly confused by that to be honest

edit: your OP says 12,10,6,10. This looks like a standard reverse pyramid scheme, so you start off with a weight you feel you can get about 13-14 reps with (and do 12), followed by adding weight you feel will result in 11-12 reps (do 10), then a 7-8 rep weight (do 6), then try and go back to your 11-12 rep weight and see if you can get 10.

Last edited by dabears; 10-24-2012 at 04:59 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #69
OrisuE46

Quote:
I'd ask your buddy exactly what he meant from the rep ranges, but it looks like you should start off with a lighter weight x 12, heavy weight x 6, moderate weight x 10 but I'm slightly confused by that to be honest
thats what i was assuming as well. ill give that a shot. im kinda nervous on the front squats tbh

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #70
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
yeah i dont expect overnight miracles haha. im pretty impressed already of my progression and i find it fun challenging myself in lifting since i dont really have any other hobbies that involve being physically active. im really impressed with all the knowledge this forum has on the topic. i guess ill just have to start bringing my protein with me (since im never at home) everywhere i go lol.

im actually really excited to lift today with all this new info ive received. im gonna try out not running before my lift and just stretch and run after. i will also be drinking a lot more water now. im honestly not even sure if i should do squats today since im going to freaknight on friday and i dont wanna be sore...but my recovery time hasnt been too bad so i dont think it will be a problem
Make sure you are dynamic stretching before, not static stretching. If you static stretch before, you can lose up to 30% output in your muscles.

Warmup by doing something light but something to get your heart rate up.( olyptical, bike for 5 min, etc)
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #71
OrisuE46

Quote:

edit: your OP says 12,10,6,10. This looks like a standard reverse pyramid scheme, so you start off with a weight you feel you can get about 13-14 reps with (and do 12), followed by adding weight you feel will result in 11-12 reps (do 10), then a 7-8 rep weight (do 6), then try and go back to your 11-12 rep weight and see if you can get 10.
sounds good!

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #72
OrisuE46

Quote:
Make sure you are dynamic stretching before, not static stretching. If you static stretch before, you can lose up to 30% output in your muscles.

Warmup by doing something light but something to get your heart rate up.( olyptical, bike for 5 min, etc)
why is that? so dymanic stretch is kinda like stretching with continuous motion?

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #73
dabears

Quote:
thats what i was assuming as well. ill give that a shot. im kinda nervous on the front squats tbh
I just learned front squats myself only two months ago, you need to go light enough that you could control the bar in case it slips (it won't) but heavy enough that you can feel when you have proper form / especially when you don't.

I used the cross armed grip at first...

but I found when I tried to go up in weight it was killing my collarbone so I learned the "clean grip" (I want to learn cleans anyways)

Just get your wrists in that position, stretch them a bit, and let the bar sit on your chest/shoulders. Focus on maintaining your elbows up throughout the lift, ESPECIALLY when you are in the squat position, they will tend to want to go down, this is where the weight can put all the pressure on your forearms (and it hurts).

I'm obviously not a front squat expert, and I know M3Inline6 has recently learned them as well and is going much heavier than me, however the above tips worked wonders for my front squat.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #74
OrisuE46

Quote:
I just learned front squats myself only two months ago, you need to go light enough that you could control the bar in case it slips (it won't) but heavy enough that you can feel when you have proper form / especially when you don't.

I used the cross armed grip at first...

but I found when I tried to go up in weight it was killing my collarbone so I learned the "clean grip" (I want to learn cleans anyways)

Just get your wrists in that position, stretch them a bit, and let the bar sit on your chest/shoulders. Focus on maintaining your elbows up throughout the lift, ESPECIALLY when you are in the squat position, they will tend to want to go down, this is where the weight can put all the pressure on your forearms (and it hurts).

I'm obviously not a front squat expert, and I know M3Inline6 has recently learned them as well and is going much heavier than me, however the above tips worked wonders for my front squat.
im very familiar with cleans. did them throughout high school when i played football. but i guess im just worried about me falling over or the bar slipping. those shoes i got definitely help out your technique and make it more comfortable to squat.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #75
dabears

Quote:
im very familiar with cleans. did them throughout high school when i played football. but i guess im just worried about me falling over or the bar slipping. those shoes i got definitely help out your technique and make it more comfortable to squat.
it amuses me that most (myself included) are worried about bar slipping on a front squat, yet I know personally I was never worried about it falling off on a back squat! Once you get comfortable you'll see that the bar is very secured.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #76
OrisuE46

Quote:
it amuses me that most (myself included) are worried about bar slipping on a front squat, yet I know personally I was never worried about it falling off on a back squat! Once you get comfortable you'll see that the bar is very secured.
i think cause you have a better grip on back squats than front, but yeah im gonna do a couple sets with lighter weight so i get my form down.

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #77
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
I've never had it slip, the bar kinda just sits there on its own. But make sure your elbows stay parallel.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 10-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #78
OrisuE46

Quote:
I've never had it slip, the bar kinda just sits there on its own thought but make sure your elbows stay parealel
word. ill have one of my friends to video tape me so i can get some critiques on my form

R.I.P

Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #79
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
just a clarification.you should always try to run after a workout. its never "bad" for you.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #80
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
on a backsquat there is more room for error.you can essentially do a goodmorning to help you get it up. front squat you really have to drive your chest up if you feel like you cant get it. ive failed on a FS and backsquat before.