E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
HELP! Screwed up Adaptations *SOLVED*

So I was just in the car using INPA to double check that I had no extra codes after I replaced my camshafts with Shrick 264/252's two weeks ago. Besides the two for my disconnected 02 sensors there was nothing else in the system. While the car was running I accidentally and stupidly hit the F7 key to clear adaptations. Now the car won't hold an idle and surges to 2500 and down to 1000 every 2 seconds. I've tried clearing adaptations with the car off, sitting with the car in the run position to relearn throttle position, clearing adaptations, then codes, then sitting in the run position before restarting. I even re-flashed my Epic Tune in hopes that it would help. The car has been running fine for weeks with the Schrick cams and its only now that it seems to be unable to hold an idle. I did not reset adaptations after installing the cams though. I took it for a drive for a few miles and the thing is touchy as hell, you just touch the gas and it lurches forward and it doesn't seem to get better as it drives along.

Anyone who thinks they can help, your input is welcome, I'm at a loss.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 10-24-2012 at 08:33 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Clear Codes and restart...I had issues with clearing adaptation and it would run funn or high idle and etc.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
jared_wiesner

I've tried that a couple times. Cleared codes restart etc. I almost wonder if it can't deal with the cams in an unlearned state.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
How about just driving it and see what happens? Might start learning Our cars do strange things...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
jared_wiesner

Ya I've gone for a 15 minute drive and it didn't seem to improve at all. But that's all I can think of too, I'll clear it all again and go for an hour drive.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
TrippinBimmer

Do some mix driving....

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 10-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
jared_wiesner

Ya other than being super touchy it drives ok until you press the clutch and it tries to idle.... Then it just surges like crazy
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
jared_wiesner

Solved!

Well driving for a while didn't change anything. I was at the end of my rope and thought of one last thing to try. I went into my Epic Motorsports software and flashed back on my stock OEM BMW tune. The car ran perfectly after this. I went for a drive and everything seemed fine. Came home, flashed back on the Epic Tune, car runs fine again. Somehow clearing adaptations while the engine was running in INPA really screwed up the DME. Maybe it corrupted some locations or something. I had tried re-flashing the Epic tune onto itself but it must have been a value that the Epic tune didn't modify and therefore it needed the full factory tune to re-write it.

Thanks for trying to help TrippinBimmer
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
TrippinBimmer

NP Glad u got this fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Well driving for a while didn't change anything. I was at the end of my rope and thought of one last thing to try. I went into my Epic Motorsports software and flashed back on my stock OEM BMW tune. The car ran perfectly after this. I went for a drive and everything seemed fine. Came home, flashed back on the Epic Tune, car runs fine again. Somehow clearing adaptations while the engine was running in INPA really screwed up the DME. Maybe it corrupted some locations or something. I had tried re-flashing the Epic tune onto itself but it must have been a value that the Epic tune didn't modify and therefore it needed the full factory tune to re-write it.

Thanks for trying to help TrippinBimmer
I didn't see this part.

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 10-24-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Did you ever press the pedal 4 times with the key in accessory? That worked for me once or twice lol.

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
jared_wiesner

Yep, tried that a few times.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
alex230ro

My Ride: BMW 325ti compact
so ,when we clear adaptions engine must be off,right?good to know anyway i've clear mine with engine off,need to do it again ,somehow it cures my M54 30 sec rough idle on startup.
alex230ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
jared_wiesner

I would definitely do it with the engine off to be on the safe side. I'm not sure if it got screwed up because I did it with the engine running or if my cable dropped out mid-clear and corrupted data that way. Either way, theres no reason to do it with the engine running, so I would avoid it.