E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
ParadigmShift

My Ride: E46 XiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
HR spring part numbers for the xit (which uses the same coilovers as the 325xi sedan but different springs):

Sport Spring: 50419
Street Perf. Coil Over: 29382-1
Did you have to make any major adjustments to this application?
ParadigmShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #22
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmShift View Post
Did you have to make any major adjustments to this application?
Not sure what you are asking?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
ParadigmShift

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
Not sure what you are asking?
Essentially was it a bolt on and ride application....with the necessary alignment and height adjustments? Unlike the H&R Bilstien application where you had to cut your front springs.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
redbull 325is

Quote:
Essentially was it a bolt on and ride application....with the necessary alignment and height adjustments? Unlike the H&R Bilstien application where you had to cut your front springs.
oh yeah, plug and play. don't recommend running these at full low up front, it gets a bit too bumpy.

Last edited by redbull 325is; 09-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I think HnR coilovers use a proprietary shaped spring and won't accept regular sized coilover springs. Not great if you plan to tinker with spring rates/lengths.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
redbull 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I think HnR coilovers use a proprietary shaped spring and won't accept regular sized coilover springs. Not great if you plan to tinker with spring rates/lengths.
That is correct as the H&R coils use the oem top spring hat, however you could theoretically use one of these and replace spring with a 2.5" id spring. This won't allow you to go any lower, but could let you run different rates. One cool thing about the H&R coils overs is that the front struts have the thick pistons in them, similar to what you'd find in a front e46 rwd bilstein strut.

Last edited by redbull 325is; 09-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #27
ParadigmShift

Quote:
Great. Thanks. Im going coil overs.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Scadian

My Ride: 325 xit
I went this route w/ my 04' 325 xit. I asked around on a similar bmw forum and the only response I got back was from a parts supplier that wanted to sell me coil overs.

The reason for refresh was when I took it to the dealership for my inspection 2. The stealership said the rear springs were bad. The whole front end minus struts and springs were done under my extended warranty (FCA,FCAB,CV, ect..). I figure I buy a spring/shock set for the price they asked to put rear springs in for and have an indy to it. I ordered sport struts and shocks. HR Sport springs for the touring. New front mounts and reinforcements, new rear mounts and reinforcements.

I took to an indy mechanic to put them on since I a) don't have the tools b) don't have the time.

He puts all but one rear shock on because ECS tuning sent the wrong one.

I now have a effing noise from front left I am taking it to him to check out tomorrow. I didn't get spring pads could or perches could that be the reason? The ride sucks. I was expecting stiff and feeling the road. However, it is bouncy up front as ghetto'd out riced out civic.

Now I read in the other thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830014 about failures galore in the rear shocks I am waiting for on back order..

I see some say don't lower a XIT some say it doesn't matter.

What is a good set up for a 325 XIT suspension wise. I want a stiffer than stock feel I don't want a bouncy ghetto'd out bmw. It only feels right when I am cornering fast as all get out.

Should I go back to stock springs? What would be good springs and shocks? I don't think coil overs would be a good option up in Detroit w/ out atrocious roads.
Scadian is offline   Reply With Quote