E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > New England

New England
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
MA ME NH RI VT

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
I'm glad I ain't the only jackas$ that doesn't notice all the traffic signs, which is why I posted it so others can spend there 50 bucks somewhere else better. (Seems to be a lot of people this happens too?)

I still find it odd that if they post it in signs 1 and 3 why not 2 which seems to be the one everyone actually notices? Lessoned learned I'll just go a couple more years without using masspike again, by then I'll forget all this ever happened...

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #22
bensti

My Ride: LSB M3
I got the same $50 fine
And I did not recall any signs posted clearly NO U-TURN
bensti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
dslavs

My Ride: E46
I just did the same thing (note: idiot move, i know). I am hoping to nip this thing in the butt before I get the fine and call/contact the people ahead of time. Did you get the fine from Easy Pass? Fast Lane? Commonwealth of Mass?

Who was the fine from?
dslavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #24
dslavs

My Ride: E46
nevermind, i found out the information on massdot's site.

"First time offenders are encouraged to appeal and state "first offense" on the appeal form, this will be considered if there is no previous violation on your account. The appeal may lead to the dismissal of the $50 fine and require you to pay only the toll plus a violation administrative fee. You will be billed for the amount due after your appeal has been accepted; please do not include any payment with your appeal."

-http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highway/fastlane/faq.aspx#34
dslavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #25
darkman

My Ride: BMW
I just got the fine for making the U-turn without a Fastlane pass. Did any of you guys who appealed the fine win the appeal or did you end up paying for the fine? I didn't see the part of the sign that said it was for Fastlane users only.
darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
grex1011

My Ride: Celica
We should all protest, I got mine right after Tiesto's concert on Monday...It was fun tho lol
grex1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #27
Slick-Vic

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Tiag
I got mine in the mail thru common wealth, I never appealed cus i didn't wana even deal with the magistrate. I would assume if its your first time they would drop it.

They set up them signs that way on purpose, but for the ones that miss the sign that counts we are the dumbasses...

CF TMS cold air intake/UUC Rasp-x section I/StopTech stage II brake kit slotted rotors, SS brake lines/3 pc. AC Schnitzer rear spoiler/CF rear diffuser/Iforged Aeros 19x8.5x10/Smoked corners/Smoked EE LED tails/Matte Black kidney grills/Matte Black gills/Painted reflectors
Slick-Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
heximing

My Ride: Subaru
what I scam. I just receive a violation notice about this tricky U-turn.

$50, it seems no way but pay it.

T_T
heximing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
StupidUTurnTicket

My Ride: Prius
This is a horrible reason to give a ticket

I just received one of these, too. I signed up just to complain about it. For others looking for people who have gotten this ticket using search engines, location of violation is "PL99 U-TURN LN" and ticket/violation description is "99-ETC SYSTEM".

I'm appealing it. I used the online form at www.parkingticketpayment.com/massdot . It looks like there's an extra $3.50 fee for using that, so it might be better to just write them a quick letter. They only give you 250 characters, also...

I'll try to respond with the result. I get the feeling that if you mention it's your first offense they'll usually let you off the hook and charge you something more like $7.50, which is much more reasonable.
StupidUTurnTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidUTurnTicket View Post
I just received one of these, too. I signed up just to complain about it. For others looking for people who have gotten this ticket using search engines, location of violation is "PL99 U-TURN LN" and ticket/violation description is "99-ETC SYSTEM".

I'm appealing it. I used the online form at www.parkingticketpayment.com/massdot . It looks like there's an extra $3.50 fee for using that, so it might be better to just write them a quick letter. They only give you 250 characters, also...

I'll try to respond with the result. I get the feeling that if you mention it's your first offense they'll usually let you off the hook and charge you something more like $7.50, which is much more reasonable.
^^ Awesome username! I'm all for the cause too, based on the responses on this thread, that U turn is a scam for sure, and obviously something very confusing to all motorists and an easy way for the city to make thousands of dollars a day. All should appeal.

Now, please search this forum for "prius" there is a user on this new england forum especially who was madly in love with the prius and even at one time went so far as to post some "modded" pics of said prius to demonstrate his jersey-shore-like infatuation.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
StupidUTurnTicket

Appeal accepted

Well, it took about six weeks, but my appeal has been approved. When I didn't hear back from them after a month, I thought I might be totally off the hook. Alas, that is not quite the case.

They still want $7.50--$2.50 for the toll and a $5 "admin fee". I'd rather not pay the admin fee, but at least it's better than the original fine. They're not charging me for submitting the appeal through the online system, which is good.

I found some articles describing how ridiculous every step of this U-Turn project was, so I thought I'd share them here:
Few drivers using new U-turn ramp
Pike U-Turn Ramp: Another Wrong Turn?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
tnhl1989

My Ride: 02 330xi(RIP),03 ZHP
Send a message via Skype™ to tnhl1989
well fast pass is free and bypass a lot of traffic. why not? also it's cheaper on tolls.

Last edited by tnhl1989; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 PM.
tnhl1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
StupidUTurnTicket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhl1989 View Post
well fast pass is free and bypass a lot of traffic. why not? also it's cheaper on tolls.
Even if I lived in Massachusetts, I see reasonable arguments for not wanting Fast Pass (mostly the privacy angle--some people don't care if when and where they use the highway is tracked, but others would rather not have that happen). And does it really bypass a lot of traffic? On my trip to Massachusetts it seemed people were sometimes in long lines in those lanes whereas the pay lanes generally had little traffic.

However, I'm not here to argue that--the fact is, I'm not from Massachusetts. I'm from a state where I don't have to pay to use highways. It's a shame that visitors to Boston--the ones who are most likely to need this U-Turn--are not able to use this U-Turn if they're not registered with some compatible toll tracking system. And beyond that, it's poorly marked and set up.