E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
KarmaOne

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Replacing factory Xenons with aftermarket HID's?

OK, I did a pretty extensive search before posting this but I could not find a direct answer to my question.
I have stock Xenons and the drivers side low beam is coming on for a minute or two before flickering and shutting off completely until I cycle the lights, which only keeps the light on for another minute or two. After researching online I believe the problem will most likely be in the ballast or ignitor. On a 2001 330CI
So instead of buying a new OEM ballast and ignitor, could I eliminate the problem by replacing these with aftermarket HID kit? Would it be as simple as unplugging the OEM ballasts and remove wiring? Then simply plugging in the aftermarket setup complete with ballasts, bulbs and code cancellors?
Would this eliminate any dash headlight faults from showing up? Can anyone recommend a kit that would work? I know stock bulbs are H7 but will I still need any kind of adapters? Also, should I stick with 35w or go with 55w in 5k or 6k? Thanks guys. I appreciate any help.

Last edited by KarmaOne; 10-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.
KarmaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
My 05 has stock HID's if you have a ballast, its an HID right?? Havnt thought about this much....

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
KarmaOne

I don't know a whole lot about lighting but I believe Xenon and HID are different but both do use ballasts

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App
Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
If you have stock xenons, the bulb and kit should be D2s. H7 are use in halogen headlights only . xenon and HID are the same thing. In theory yes, you can swap just the ballast but some modification is probably needed.

Last edited by haurelio; 10-21-2012 at 02:35 PM.
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Stick with 35 watt and you need D2S bulbs
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I thought Xenon was the gas used in the HID bulbs...

I think the Xenon name is BMW's marketing hype.. HID is HID. Different gas combinations make different colors..

From what I've seen you can change the bulb with aftermarket, but the ballasts are of 2 types and BMW specific.

Getting the high beam function to work would be the challenge if you don't have the shutter.

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
KarmaOne

So I can get the D2 kit and keep full function of lows an high beams? Without error codes on dash? Would I remove the stock ballasts and ignitors? My high beams are not Xenon, just regular halogens. Where would I find one of these D2 kits? Thanks again guys.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Dippinwandy

My Ride: 325i
In.
Dippinwandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Nick_M3

My Ride: 2005 325ci
It sounds like your bulbs are wearing out. The fact that they come on makes sense. When HID's start to go bad they come on and after they heat up they shut of because they need more voltage.

It's easy enough to to check, turn your lights on and let them go off, wait a few minutes for the gas to cool and then if they come back on you know it's the bulb.
Nick_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
KarmaOne

Once it flickers off it will not come back on until I cycle the headlight switch. So I'm thinking ballast or ignitor?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Bimmer App
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
Nick_M3

If I were you I would try one more thing, you mentioned the other headlight works fine so switch bulbs from that and see if you still have the same issue. I can't remember for your model but the igniter could be inside of the bulb anyway. Even if it isn't I'd still try to switch and see if you have the issue. The ballasts are made of pretty high grade parts and usually outlive the car. Not to say it couldn't be the ballast I would just cut out all the other options first.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
PL4T

My Ride: 330ci
I'm currently having the same issue, the ballast / ignitor shat itself on the drivers side. thought the bulb was on it's way out so I purchased new bulbs, and the drivers side was still not working. Swapped the bulbs over and confirmed it was the ignitor or ballast.

Tried tracking down a spare ballast, but no wrecker wanted to sell them without the headlight, so I had a few options:
-buy a second hand drivers headlight assembly ($700 AUD!! was the best price)
-find ballast online via ebay
-aftermarket canbus HID kit from local supplier

first option is well out of my price range.
Second was an easy option although could not find any locally, and there was no warranty or anything on the item.
So I opted for option 3. (I actually bought a pair of black housing depo headlight w/ angel eyes and the HID kit all together, as my passenger side headlight was starting to flicker) Everything should be delivered tmrw and I should be finished with the install tmrw to. Will let you know how I go.
PL4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
braves011

My Ride: 330i ZHP Imola
I'm curious about this as well, looking to upgrade my xenons to some 55w 8k HIDs
braves011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #14
Nick_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves011 View Post
I'm curious about this as well, looking to upgrade my xenons to some 55w 8k HIDs
That's perfect don't 30s are alright and 70s are unstable I have the 55s as well love the blue of 8000 also a good choice
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #15
PL4T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_M3 View Post
That's perfect don't 30s are alright and 70s are unstable I have the 55s as well love the blue of 8000 also a good choice
personally dont like 8000k, light output is not as great as 6000k or less.

Well just did this conversion using depo headlights and h7 hid kit. With the kit HID kit i got it was plug and play, no errors on the on-board computer!
The process is exactly the same using a d2s HID kit, just make sure the kit is canbus
Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Anything over 6k looks cheesy IMO.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
PL4T

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Anything over 6k is for wank factor IMO.
fixed
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
Nick_M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL4T View Post
personally dont like 8000k, light output is not as great as 6000k or less.

Well just did this conversion using depo headlights and h7 hid kit. With the kit HID kit i got it was plug and play, no errors on the on-board computer!
The process is exactly the same using a d2s HID kit, just make sure the kit is canbus
I will agree with you light output is better at lower numbers, however depending on what company you buy your HID's from 8000 could be another company's 6.