E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Screeching Noise when Accelerating, so what pulley is involved?

Silly me, I swapped out my pullies (idler & tensioner) and my belts (both ac and serpintine) because my car would screeched after starting the car. I was so certain that this was my problem that I did not bother to test out the other pullies. Fortunately, the reduction of screeching noise has been eliminated during idle, but not when I accelerate. It does however goes away after minimal driving. My question is, which pulley(s) most likely needs to be replaced?

Last edited by Dan99; 10-26-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If you didn't replace the AC tensioner pulley, I'd begin there, but I'd also look to ensure that your belt is aligned squarely...as in, maybe you did what I did...before I caught it...idler pulley pin needs to be in notch.

Conceivably any pulley could screech...maybe get someone to rev up the car and listen using a hose as stethoscope?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Dan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
If you didn't replace the AC tensioner pulley, I'd begin there, but I'd also look to ensure that your belt is aligned squarely...as in, maybe you did what I did...before I caught it...idler pulley pin needs to be in notch.

Conceivably any pulley could screech...maybe get someone to rev up the car and listen using a hose as stethoscope?
thanks dmax, but i'm not sure what you mean by the "idler pulley must be in notch" ?

I'll look it up though.

if you're talking about the pin on the idler pulley, it was already pre-attached prior to installation.

Last edited by Dan99; 10-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Dan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Test them by spinning them if they move freely like a skateboard wheel they need replacing

Last edited by THECLEANERBEAMER; 10-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
THECLEANERBEAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
thanks dmax, but i'm not sure what you mean by the "idler pulley must be in notch" ?

I'll look it up though.

if you're talking about the pin on the idler pulley, it was already pre-attached prior to installation.
On Pulley 1 (in your pic) there is a small notch on the back that fits into a groove on your alternator. I think that's what Dmax is referring to.
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Screech on acceleration? Do you have a manual transmission? Does the engine speed increase faster than the car speeds up?

One thing to consider is the clutch/torque converter. If the screech can be reproduced while the car is stationary -- parked in your driveway -- then you can discount the clutch and torque converter (manual and automatic, respectively) as the source. But if the car must be moving to reproduce the screech, then you must consider these parts as the cause of your problem.

I asked if you had a manual transmission because a worn clutch is far more likely to produce noise and slippage, but as I write this it occurs to me that a torque converter can play into this symptom too. AND, you have an xi, so there are transfer case components to think about as well. But, any transmission/drivetrain related issue that makes a screech would almost always demand the car be moving to make the suspect noise. If the car is parked and making noise, then it makes sense to dial in on the belts and pullies first. One should be able to simply raise the hood and determine that the noise is coming from the front of the engine or the back, and diagnose further from there.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
99_323i_Steve

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
anyone have any torque specifications on these pulleys? i always wondered if there such a thing as too much/too little torque for these items.

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
99_323i_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Dan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Screech on acceleration? Do you have a manual transmission? Does the engine speed increase faster than the car speeds up?

One thing to consider is the clutch/torque converter. If the screech can be reproduced while the car is stationary -- parked in your driveway -- then you can discount the clutch and torque converter (manual and automatic, respectively) as the source. But if the car must be moving to reproduce the screech, then you must consider these parts as the cause of your problem.

I asked if you had a manual transmission because a worn clutch is far more likely to produce noise and slippage, but as I write this it occurs to me that a torque converter can play into this symptom too. AND, you have an xi, so there are transfer case components to think about as well. But, any transmission/drivetrain related issue that makes a screech would almost always demand the car be moving to make the suspect noise. If the car is parked and making noise, then it makes sense to dial in on the belts and pullies first. One should be able to simply raise the hood and determine that the noise is coming from the front of the engine or the back, and diagnose further from there.
yeah, I have a manual. it makes the screeching noise when i apply the gas pressure in neutral, so according to your reasoning, this should rule out any converters.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Dan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325kev View Post
On Pulley 1 (in your pic) there is a small notch on the back that fits into a groove on your alternator. I think that's what Dmax is referring to.
yes this pin is in...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
As I said, if you didn't replace your AC tensioner pulley, it could be that...but it could be any other pulley/bearing...WP, PS, AC, Alt...try to isolate sound with a hose...like a 5' section of garden hose or my favorite stethoscope...a 5' section of 1" diameter flexible electrical conduit, available from HD, along with the xl50!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote