E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.23 average.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #621
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I see no reason why BMW would spec a different radiator for the M56 but I could be wrong. Let us know what you find!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #622
djacobso

My Ride: 325i
I looked on realoem.com this morning and the radiator for my 6/04 production M56 is part number 17117513922 which is different than the 17119071519 shown in the list. It is also significantly more expensive at $456 from bmaparts.com. The ET, hoses, thermostat and pump are the same. I haven't checked all the other parts.

Any way to determie what the difference is b/w the radiators?
djacobso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #623
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobso View Post

Any way to determie what the difference is b/w the radiators?
Start by calling online vendors to see what they know about their product. Some of them are knowledgeable.

Last edited by Stinger9; 10-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #624
jlgone

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
2002 with 60,000 miles - What preventive maintenance should I do??

I have a 2002 330 cic manual. Currently I have had no overtheating or coolant leaking issues.

I am going to do preventive mantenance based on age not mileage, but how much do I need to do on a low mileage car? Do I need to replace the radiator? Thermostat? just expansion tank, belt/pulleys, water pump?

Thanks for everyone's advice!! I want to be smart and thorough but not throw money away.
jlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 AM   #625
Stinger9

The simple answer is you just can't know for sure.
What do you know about the service history? That would tell us a great deal.
Depends upon your reliable vs. cost tolerance too.
I'd at least recommend the ET and hoses, but not call a full coolant system replacement a mistake. The more you spend, the higher the 'bulletproof' factor.
Test the pulleys (all three) to see if any need replacement. Replace all three at the same time even if only one tests bad. Check condition of the belts.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #626
jlgone

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
I've had the car since new. Past maintenance has only been coolant replacement, so everything is 10 years old (with 60k miles). I was planning on Expansion tank and belts at minimum.

I guess my question boils down to:

1. which cooling system components sometimes fail at relatively low mileage?

2. which parts are likely to fail just from age (eg, non-moving parts, plastic, rubber)?

3. are there any components on a prefacelift ci manual should be upgraded due to inherent design flaws?
jlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #627
Stinger9

Yes, def do belts with that age.
Sounds like you've had a very reliable car to date.

1) Two most likely candidates are ET and WP.

2) And at this age, do hoses too.

3) I did metal pulleys for WP and PS too. Some report cracking which can result in way more damage than the replacement effort.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #628
99_323i_Steve

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
my add coolant light randomly comes on and randomly goes off when I open my cap it says that its at the max amount...sooo next step info?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
99_323i_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #629
Stinger9

First suspect the sending arrangement which is a two part mechanism.
The ET is half the equation with the magnet built into the unit. Then the sending unit attached to the underside of the ET would probably be what you'd want to replace first.
Or possibly a loose connector to the bottom of the sending unit?

Last edited by Stinger9; 10-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #630
99_323i_Steve

I don't know if there's a sending issue because my car doesn't overheat it's properly cycling.

99 323i. Factory:Harmon Kardon Hi-Fi, Winter Package w/ heated sport seats, and Sport package with Sport steering wheel and Sport suspension.

Aftermarket: 16" rims, LED Angel Eyes, LED license plate lights, LED tails, LED depos, Black kidney grill, and DICE Aux jack input, 20% tint.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #631
Stinger9

Level sending unit!

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._E095124A.aspx
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #632
99_323i_Steve

I feel like it's more of a sensor issue. I just replaced my ETand my radiator and my hoses and I completely flushed the system in it accepted all the coolant so I don't know why that light would still be flashing on.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #633
99_323i_Steve

so if my car's not overheating and the coolant is properly cycled without any air bubbles technically having a bad sensor would only bring a light up on my dash and not take away from the quality of the cooling system correct

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #634
Stinger9

Correct, it would cause no harm
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #635
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobso View Post
I'm convinced that its time to replace my cooling system on my 2004 325i that now has 75K miles. However, my car is a SULEV with the M56 engine and I'm wondering if the parts shown in the E46 Cooling Guide are applicable to my vehicle. One of the on-line retailers told me there is SULEV specific radiator and that the standard M54 part will not work. However, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on that. Are there other parts that may be specific to the M56? How do I go about identifying which (if any) parts are unique? Thank you.
Im replacing my Radiator on my M56, but im doing through SULEV warranty, it has warranty up to 150k miles, or 15 years, But mine is having sensor issues, i get an SES light for an EAC sensor, which is on the radiator. In order to fix this issue the whole radiator has to be replaced. The M56 radiator has a special coating on it that helps with emissions somehow. If nothing is wrong with the radiator dont replace it.

On another note, im doing the whole overhaul, as my expansion tank has crack in it. I used real oem to compare parts, and the only thing i found different was the radiator.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #636
Stinger9

Interesting insight into the SULEV radiator.

And a great reminder that warranty will cover this for a long long time.

Have you had no issues with your fuel pump yet?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #637
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Interesting insight into the SULEV radiator.

And a great reminder that warranty will cover this for a long long time.

Have you had no issues with your fuel pump yet?
Funny thing, yesterday i had some really bad hesitation, i had my RPM jerking under light acceleration, i was too tired last night to scan codes, so i checked them this morning, looks like have a vacuum leak, and i got an error on my fuel pump. Looks like my fuel pump is on the fritz. So im going to put a clain for both part radiator and fuel tank. First thing though is im going to overhaul the cooling system.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #638
Stinger9

Please keep us up to date on this adventure!

I assume you know what the fuel tank/pump costs?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #639
djacobso

At $500 for the M56 radiator, I think your approach of not replacing it is probably the right choice for me too. Shortly after I posted last weekend I read the sticker under the hood that indicates it is unlawful to replace the radiator with one other than the SULEV part since it is part of the emissions system. That does seem to indicate that an M54 part would work. For now, I think I will do the cooling system replacement without doing the radiator.

I have already experienced the dreaded M56 fuel pump/tank issue and the dealer replaced it along with a myriad of other components under warranty. I'm hoping to get a couple more years out of the car before that issue strikes again.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #640
djacobso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrichMeister View Post
Funny thing, yesterday i had some really bad hesitation, i had my RPM jerking under light acceleration, i was too tired last night to scan codes, so i checked them this morning, looks like have a vacuum leak, and i got an error on my fuel pump. Looks like my fuel pump is on the fritz. So im going to put a clain for both part radiator and fuel tank. First thing though is im going to overhaul the cooling system.

You indicated above that your going to put a claim in for both the radiator and fuel pump. How do you go about doing that? I was under the impression that you had to take it in to the dealer and then it was essentially up to them to determine what the issue is and whether or not the issue would be covered under the 150k mile/15 year SULEV emission component warranty.

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, mango, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump