E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
pilot1ner

My Ride: e46
Tires for my Wide body Turbo 6766

Ok I'm gonna wear these Mickey thomson tires down in a week if I leave these on! I wanna put either R888 or Ps2 on but I want opinions on size and profiles. My front tire is a 35 series tire and my last size before the wide body was 30. Now I was wondering what would be better for traction: 285/35 or 295/30?? The 35 would sit low with stretching it a bit, and the 30 would be low regardless. I know either cant really handle my HP, but what would be best and sit nice. My friend has a tire mounter down the street at his shop anytime I need to puttem on for a special occasion.

Last edited by pilot1ner; 10-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.
pilot1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1ner View Post
Ok I'm gonna wear these Mickey thomson tires down in a week if I leave these on! I wanna put either R888 or Ps2 on but I want opinions on size and profiles. My front tire is a 35 series tire and my last size before the wide body was 30. Now I was wondering what would be better for traction: 285/35 or 295/30?? The 35 would sit low with stretching it a bit, and the 30 would be low regardless. I know either cant really handle my HP, but what would be best and sit nice. My friend has a tire mounter down the street at his shop anytime I need to puttem on for a special occasion.
I remember seeing a similar question posed to Taza once. He is convinced from experience that side wall height is more important than track width.
I believe you will get better traction from the 285/35's using the R888's.

Were the MT's proving to be a little squirrelly at speed? There is only one member here who says he never experiences any instability at very high speeds. Almost everyone else says the soft sidewalls are nasty over 130mph
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
1. Hoosier A6 - usually about $600 to $700 bucks a piece at our sizes. But they do get good mileage out of them if your just city driving. I think I got 4k miles on a set if mine and you really don't see that much wear on them.

2. NT05 - Can not remember price. But I think they are in the 400 range. Personally have not tried these. But all the HPF guys who do love them.

I run the A6s all the time. Takes about 10/15 minutes of driving to get them warm enough to really start to grip. You will still be able to spin them a little but it won't be out of control. Kinda like spinning tires in a normal car. Lol.
295x30x19
345x30x19

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MaverickM3; 10-27-2012 at 11:31 AM.
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
1. Hoosier A6 - usually about $600 to $700 bucks a piece at our sizes. But they do get good mileage out of them if your just city driving. I think I got 4k miles on a set if mine and they really don't see that much wear on them.

2. NT05 - Can not remember price. But I think they are in the 400 range. Personally have not tried these. But all the HPF guys who do love them.

Hope this helps.
you mean per PAIR, right? 700usd /pair?
I know the A6 is almost the ultimate for grip but sooo expensive. Both tires you submit are fine choices. But, I am pretty sure the OP is set on the compounds he is interested in. He wants advice and grip vs profile vs track width.

Last edited by Bdave; 10-27-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
M5chas

My Ride: e90 m3 + cornfed gtr
You can't fit more then a 295 out back? I had 295/30-18 toyo r888s on my stage 3 car and that was stock body. If that is the biggest you can fit, that is what I would personally run. Also, definitely r888s over ps2s.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I remember seeing a similar question posed to Taza once. He is convinced from experience that side wall height is more important than track width.
I believe you will get better traction from the 285/35's using the R888's.

Were the MT's proving to be a little squirrelly at speed? There is only one member here who says he never experiences any instability at very high speeds. Almost everyone else says the soft sidewalls are nasty over 130mph
Oh when driving back from LA theM/T got real squirmy at high speeds. They grip like no other but it makes my car sit like a hot rod!! Lol. I sorta want to saved for a special occasion. Buy the way my wheel is 12" wide.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
MaverickM3

Quote:
you mean per PAIR, right? 700usd /pair?
I know the A6 is almost the ultimate for grip but sooo expensive. Both tires you submit are fine choices. But, I am pretty sure the OP is set on the compounds he is interested in. He wants advice and grip vs profile vs track width.
Yeah pair. Sorry.

Fronts in that size for a pair -$760
Rear in that size for a pair - $922
No taxes or shipping.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
List your full wheel specs front and rear (diameter, width, offset). What tire are you currently running up front?
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
List your full wheel specs front and rear (diameter, width, offset). What tire are you currently running up front?
I don't know the off set being that I dissasebled my 3 pieces and added a bigger lip. My wheels are 12" wide and a diameter of 19". My fronts are 11" and I'm running 265 35

Last edited by pilot1ner; 10-27-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
MaverickM3

Front - Hoosier A6. 19x10. 295/30
Rear - Hoosier A6. 19x13. 345/30

Sorry not sure what the offsets are. I do t think even VIP does either. LoL

Or here you go...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Front - Hoosier A6. 19x10. 295/30
Rear - Hoosier A6. 19x13. 345/30

Sorry not sure what the offsets are. I do t think even VIP does either. LoL

Or here you go...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Beefy!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
I don't know the off set being that I dissasebled my 3 pieces and added a bigger lip. My wheels are 12" wide and a diameter of 19". My fronts are 11" and I'm running 265 35
Knowing the offset is important for anyone giving advice as it will let us know how much inside/outside clearance you have to work with. It would also be good to know how much wider your rear fenders are compared to stock. What was the main goal with the widebody? Running a wider lip or being able to fit more tire?

In the pictures from the following post, what size tires are you running in the rear and do you have any spacers installed?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=98

edit: Just saw in your other thread you are running a 305/35/19 DR in those pictures. I would go with the Toyo R888 in 305/30/19 and call it a day. This tire should still fit fine given your current setup and it won't be as bulky. The narrower size tires will be too stretched on a 12" rear wheel and the PS2's aren't very sticky so I wouldn't consider them for your car. Then just swap to your M/T's when you absolutely need more traction for the drag strip/roll races.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 10-27-2012 at 04:51 PM.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
pilot1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
Knowing the offset is important for anyone giving advice as it will let us know how much inside/outside clearance you have to work with. It would also be good to know how much wider your rear fenders are compared to stock. What was the main goal with the widebody? Running a wider lip or being able to fit more tire?

In the pictures from the following post, what size tires are you running in the rear and do you have any spacers installed?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...9&postcount=98

edit: Just saw in your other thread you are running a 305/35/19 DR in those pictures. I would go with the Toyo R888 in 305/30/19 and call it a day. This tire should still fit fine given your current setup and it won't be as bulky. The narrower size tires will be too stretched on a 12" rear wheel and the PS2's aren't very sticky so I wouldn't consider them for your car. Then just swap to your M/T's when you absolutely need more traction for the drag strip/roll races.
All I know is those M/T make me nervous when I'm next to a cop. And I know the profile is 35 but they look "really blocky and big compared to another 35 series tire." they are sticky as ****, but are gonna wear fast. I need something that's not gonna wear so fast and not make my ride resemble a stink bug or joe dirt, but be as sticky as can be. I'm not sure the r888 look like they might be blocky.

Last edited by pilot1ner; 10-27-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Bdave

Maverick, your wheel and tire set up is unreal!!! I would recon to say that is one of the best all around grippy set ups I have ever seen for an E46 M3!!
My God, Man! It takes a lot to impress me these days. I am floored by the sheer presence of yards of rubber. What an EXPANSE!! I love it!

What is your HP and what gears do you have any? rear traction issues? Have you HPDE with this set up? You could reach over 180MPH at Daytona. I remember you have a LOT of HP, but I cant remember how much.

I think 19's are awesome. I LOVED my 3 piece 19's with the Uber Ballin' big lip in the back....the gazillion torx head chrome machine bolts. But I just HAD to retire the "balling look" when i went Stage 3 HPF. But, Nineteens just serve NO performance purpose. In fact they become a pretty sizable Liability. UNLESS you have a wide body like Maverick and can compensate by getting HUGE wide tracks. His tire COSTS however would bankrupt me.
A 17 inch 315mm tire with a 4.5 inch side wall has some damn good grip too! And costs a TON less than 19's. But, hey! if you can afford it, DO IT. It must look incredible on the car. Pix again ON THE CAR please! OK, OK I m jealous. There. I admitted it. LOL

It is so hard to think that a 30 profile tire has any decent grip at all. But when you combine that huge width with an A-6 compound, the result has got to be amazing. An E46 M3 WIDEBODY is the only case i can really see 19's being a "sensible"(it you have the $$) performance choice. Anything less than a wide body, 19's are never going to grip as well as 18's. A lot of money and HP(wasted by not hooking) goes up in smoke. Literally.

Piotlner, your wheel width is way to wide for the tires you are running. You are all set up to run really big wide rubber either in a wide body or specially fabricated flares front and back. You need the big tire WIDTH to compensate for your low profile. Something like what Maverick is running. The difference in traction between you two is huge.

You DO have plans to fit wide tires, right? Why have the super wide rims? You are part way there. Might as well do something like Tom did. Go for the mega flares on your fenders. That is a very cool way to go.

Last edited by Bdave; 10-27-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
pilot1ner

Quote:
Maverick, your wheel and tire set up is unreal!!! I would recon to say that is one of the best all around grippy set ups I have ever seen for an E46 M3!!
My God, Man! It takes a lot to impress me these days. I am floored by the sheer presence of yards of rubber. What an EXPANSE!! I love it!

What is your HP and what gears do you have any? rear traction issues? Have you HPDE with this set up? You could reach over 180MPH at Daytona. I remember you have a LOT of HP, but I cant remember how much.

I think 19's are awesome. I LOVED my 3 piece 19's with the Uber Ballin' big lip in the back....the gazillion torx head chrome machine bolts. But I just HAD to retire the "balling look" when i went Stage 3 HPF. But, Nineteens just serve NO performance purpose. In fact they become a pretty sizable Liability. UNLESS you have a wide body like Maverick and can compensate by getting HUGE wide tracks. His tire COSTS however would bankrupt me.
A 17 inch 315mm tire with a 4.5 inch side wall has some damn good grip too! And costs a TON less than 19's. But, hey! if you can afford it, DO IT. It must look incredible on the car. Pix again ON THE CAR please! OK, OK I m jealous. There. I admitted it. LOL

It is so hard to think that a 30 profile tire has any decent grip at all. But when you combine that huge width with an A-6 compound, the result has got to be amazing. An E46 M3 WIDEBODY is the only case i can really see 19's being a "sensible"(it you have the $$) performance choice. Anything less than a wide body, 19's are never going to grip as well as 18's. A lot of money and HP(wasted by not hooking) goes up in smoke. Literally.

Piotlner, your wheel width is way to wide for the tires you are running. You are all set up to run really big wide rubber either in a wide body or specially fabricated flares front and back. You need the big tire WIDTH to compensate for your low profile. Something like what Maverick is running. The difference in traction between you two is huge.

You DO have plans to fit wide tires, right? Why have the super wide rims? You are part way there. Might as well do something like Tom did. Go for the mega flares on your fenders. That is a very cool way to go.
I find these m/t 305 on my 12" rear wheels grabbing like a muther f$&@r! Plus Jason and Saad both ran 10's without going too wide. I drive my car in the city and DD it more than racing. I want the best of both worlds, but if someone wanted to set something up I would have a fresh pair of soft rubber to burn! Also I know not to just stab the throttle when I'm not running DR.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
pilot1ner

I'll post some pics of my car doing some runs soon enough
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Bdave

Quote:
I find these m/t 305 on my 12" rear wheels grabbing like a muther f$&@r! Plus Jason and Saad both ran 10's without going too wide. I drive my car in the city and DD it more than racing. I want the best of both worlds, but if someone wanted to set something up I would have a fresh pair of soft rubber to burn! Also I know not to just stab the throttle when I'm not running DR.
Yeah, MT's are great in any size just about. But even you admit not the best for DD.
I am telling you, if you could run even 315's in the rear and 275's in the front you would see a world of difference. 19's are tough to get really good performance out of them. They were never designed to BE a performance tire. Just looks.

So many guys fell in love with them that performance designs sprang up out of demand. This is happening to a lesser extent now with 20's.

Eighteens still remain King for performance design. When using 19's. the profile must be so low (to fit) in a stock E46 M3 that you have almost no side wall that can compress for traction. You end up with "o rings"..LOL. Not really, but...

If you GO WIDE..really wide, you can pick up so much that is lost in traction from the low profile 19's. And go soft. The A-6's are EXPENSIVE, but they dont have that TOO squishy sidewall like the MT's and they are definitely STICKY.

Bottom line: If you insist on running 19's and want to NOT waste all that HP you paid for, then its gonna COST you more $$ than running 18's or 17's.

You need soft and wide and decent side walls.
R888's are fine, but would be MUCH better in 315 or 345 like Maverick.

Why not try a huge trim and fender roll? Or BEST bang for the buck a whole new welded in flare? I think HPF is coming out with flares that weld right in...well sort of.

That is going to be MUCH more cost effective than a custom job.
You HAVE those nice WIDE wheels that cost a fortune. They are BEGGING for WIDE RUBBER!!! Give it to them. Seriously. They will love you back!

OMG! Elevens and TWELVES! It is almost criminal not to be rolling on some huge rubber meat. And yes, it is bitch to get them to fit. But its done all the time.

Go back and print out the photo of Maverick's tires and put the photo on your wall or bulletin board at home and at work. I would give you less than a week before you are on the phone to your body shop.

EDIT: Did you change the title? I swear I dont remember seeing "wide body" in the title before. You dont HAVE a wide body car yet as I recall. If you did, you would have no fitment problems.

Last edited by Bdave; 10-27-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
pilot1ner

Quote:
Yeah, MT's are great in any size just about. But even you admit not the best for DD.
I am telling you, if you could run even 315's in the rear and 275's in the front you would see a world of difference. 19's are tough to get really good performance out of them. They were never designed to BE a performance tire. Just looks.

So many guys fell in love with them that performance designs sprang up out of demand. This is happening to a lesser extent now with 20's.

Eighteens still remain King for performance design. When using 19's. the profile must be so low (to fit) in a stock E46 M3 that you have almost no side wall that can compress for traction. You end up with "o rings"..LOL. Not really, but...

If you GO WIDE..really wide, you can pick up so much that is lost in traction from the low profile 19's. And go soft. The A-6's are EXPENSIVE, but they dont have that TOO squishy sidewall like the MT's and they are definitely STICKY.

Bottom line: If you insist on running 19's and want to NOT waste all that HP you paid for, then its gonna COST you more $$ than running 18's or 17's.

You need soft and wide and decent side walls.
R888's are fine, but would be MUCH better in 315 or 345 like Maverick.

Why not try a huge trim and fender roll? Or BEST bang for the buck a whole new welded in flare? I think HPF is coming out with flares that weld right in...well sort of.

That is going to be MUCH more cost effective than a custom job.
You HAVE those nice WIDE wheels that cost a fortune. They are BEGGING for WIDE RUBBER!!! Give it to them. Seriously. They will love you back!

OMG! Elevens and TWELVES! It is almost criminal not to be rolling on some huge rubber meat. And yes, it is bitch to get them to fit. But its done all the time.

Go back and print out the photo of Maverick's tires and put the photo on your wall or bulletin board at home and at work. I would give you less than a week before you are on the phone to your body shop.

EDIT: Did you change the title? I swear I dont remember seeing "wide body" in the title before. You dont HAVE a wide body car yet as I recall. If you did, you would have no fitment problems.
Oh yea it's wide now.
http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=946316
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #19
Bdave

Quote:
Sir, I think it is absolutely fantastic!! I never would have doubted the build. I could see what they were up to from the start. I think the whole approach was most sensible. You could have gotten BURIED financially in that job by not taking the shops advice.

I cant believe I missed the entire thread. I dont know how that happened. What is the final color? I hope a white PEARL. That would look so great.

Some questions. What tire width are you limited to NOW? I am curious why you did not have the shop give you a lot more room in case you wanted to go WIDER...13 inch rims. That is a substantial investment. If it were me I would want to fit at least a 335/345mm. To me, that is a real wide body. You dont HAVE to run a tire that wide, but it is always good to have the ROOM in case a situation rises where you need the space.

You could be running the same tires as Maverick not not have to worry about a thing traction wise.
I think you have limited yourself on tire width.
Dont get me wrong. I still LOVE the job and the look. I just hope you have not limited your tire SIZE options too much.

You saved so MUCH of the OEM lines of the car! I love that about the build.
Just GREAT, pilot!

Please post final pix when ever...
Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #20
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
R888's run a bit wide and they are 'blocky' but I don' think they look trashy. I run a 265/30/19 on a 19x10. Its square.. In hindsight I would have had the wheels made 10.5 and ran the 295's..

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote