E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #101
Ghostie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 590
My Ride: What else?
Will check those out, thanks
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #102
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,752
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I picked up a Tlr-3 yesterday and mounted it, just to experiment; I see what you mean about eliminating the benefits.

The light extends quite a bit past the barrel, which makes the whole set up just as long as my full size XD. Glad I changed my Raven order a few days ago (dropped the light carrier).

Although after playing with it a bit, I realize I REALLY like the idea of a weapon light, so I will keep the TLR-3 for home defense.

I'm also still mulling over the Surefire P2X. I already have a few decent flashlights, but the idea of have 500 lumens at my fingertip is hard to pass up...I don't know if the size is small enough for EDC though.


Related question: Night sights, yay or nay? which brand?
The TLR is right at home for HD. 90lumens is plenty in a confined house space. More is always better, but 90 is definitely effective enough and won't leave you wanting.

In re the P2X Fury lights, they're about the same size as the G2 and 6P lights and will fit in a pocket nicely. I highly recommend the P2X Fury Defender, as it has the clicky tailcap switch.

For night sights, there are lots of good options. Trijicon and Meprolight make the best/most durable sights.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #103
Locutus09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 869
My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
For night sights, there are lots of good options. Trijicon and Meprolight make the best/most durable sights.
I really do need to pick up night sights. I've been eyeing up Trijicon for awhile. I've just year horror stories with removing the front post on the M&P
__________________
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #104
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,752
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It's not too difficult. Just remember that it needs to be punched out to the right/ejection port side. Spraying the sight with a penetrating lube a while beforehand also helps. Then it's just a punch and a hammer. The difficulty is in centering the new sight, which is why having a calipers is handy. That, or invest in a sight tool.

The Trijicons are nice, but the HDs are a mixed bag. I have heard instructors mention that the HD sights are good for rapid target acquisition, but cause the shooters to shoot high at intermediate and longer ranges. Apparently, the bright dot is forcing people to use the dot as the aiming point instead of the top of the front sight blade. Food for thought.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #105
Locutus09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 869
My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
It's not too difficult. Just remember that it needs to be punched out to the right/ejection port side. Spraying the sight with a penetrating lube a while beforehand also helps. Then it's just a punch and a hammer. The difficulty is in centering the new sight, which is why having a calipers is handy. That, or invest in a sight tool.

The Trijicons are nice, but the HDs are a mixed bag. I have heard instructors mention that the HD sights are good for rapid target acquisition, but cause the shooters to shoot high at intermediate and longer ranges. Apparently, the bright dot is forcing people to use the dot as the aiming point instead of the top of the front sight blade. Food for thought.
Yea, at that point I might just drop it off at a gun smith so it can be perfect...especially for an EDC gun.

Good info on the HDs, I'll do some searching before I pull the trigger.
__________________
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #106
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,762
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Kinda strange question here; I've been battling it for a while. What adjustments do you all make to your clothing when carrying IWB? I've got this Comptac that I like alot since I got it back after being re-fit, but I still find it to be fairly uncomfortable to wear. Fact of the matter is that when I add the gun/holster combo to my waistline, everything just gets super-tight and a bit uncomfortable. Retention is excellent for obvious reasons, but I'm wondering if I should be compensating by going to a larger waist size to compensate when carrying.

I'm like a 32/33 in the waist right now. I'm thinking that I'd be alot more comfortable if I went to a 34 in the waist, but I do have some concern about it. If its too loose and the belt can't properly hold the holster to my body, I imagine drawing will be more difficult due to the slack/excess movement.

Anybody have any advice regarding this? Would be infinitely easier to carry OWB, but since we don't have open carry here and I'd print like crazy, that's not an option.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #107
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,475
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Kinda strange question here; I've been battling it for a while. What adjustments do you all make to your clothing when carrying IWB? I've got this Comptac that I like alot since I got it back after being re-fit, but I still find it to be fairly uncomfortable to wear. Fact of the matter is that when I add the gun/holster combo to my waistline, everything just gets super-tight and a bit uncomfortable. Retention is excellent for obvious reasons, but I'm wondering if I should be compensating by going to a larger waist size to compensate when carrying.

I'm like a 32/33 in the waist right now. I'm thinking that I'd be alot more comfortable if I went to a 34 in the waist, but I do have some concern about it. If its too loose and the belt can't properly hold the holster to my body, I imagine drawing will be more difficult due to the slack/excess movement.

Anybody have any advice regarding this? Would be infinitely easier to carry OWB, but since we don't have open carry here and I'd print like crazy, that's not an option.
What state? Printing is considered open carry?
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #108
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,762
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
What state? Printing is considered open carry?
Well it's Florida. I think there have been a few instances where they've tried to couch printing as accidental exposure, which wasn't really protected until earlier this year.

Fact is that it's probably never a good idea to print anyway...defeats the "concealed" advantage and could cause a ruckus with regular citizens and police.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #109
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,475
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Well it's Florida. I think there have been a few instances where they've tried to couch printing as accidental exposure, which wasn't really protected until earlier this year.

Fact is that it's probably never a good idea to print anyway...defeats the "concealed" advantage and could cause a ruckus with regular citizens and police.
In my experience, unless you're wearing yoga pants while carrying, it's mostly in your head that people will notice. People are oblivious to their surroundings. Naturally as a firearm carrier, your situational awareness is sharpened and refined. The rest of the population? They usually don't even notice Open Carry.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 10-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #110
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,047
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
I'm like a 32/33 in the waist right now. I'm thinking that I'd be alot more comfortable if I went to a 34 in the waist, but I do have some concern about it. If its too loose and the belt can't properly hold the holster to my body, I imagine drawing will be more difficult due to the slack/excess movement.

Anybody have any advice regarding this? Would be infinitely easier to carry OWB, but since we don't have open carry here and I'd print like crazy, that's not an option.
I'm a 33/34 waist and I started to purchase pants and shorts in a 36 to allow for a comfortable carry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Well it's Florida. I think there have been a few instances where they've tried to couch printing as accidental exposure, which wasn't really protected until earlier this year.

Fact is that it's probably never a good idea to print anyway...defeats the "concealed" advantage and could cause a ruckus with regular citizens and police.
Exactly what JonJon said. You are hyper aware of what is going on. Most people will think it's a cell phone or some other piece of gadgetry, if they even notice a slight bulge. Forgetaboutit.
__________________

Last edited by Serbonze; 10-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #111
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
In my experience, unless you're wearing yoga pants while carrying, it's mostly in your head that people will notice. People are oblivious to their surroundings. Naturally as a firearm carrier, your situational awareness is sharpened and refined. The rest of the population? They usually don't even notice Open Carry.
You're suggesting the average person would not notice an exposed firearm attached to a person's belt?

Unless its one of those ultra concealed that doesn't feel like a real gun, I find this hard to agree with.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #112
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,758
My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You're suggesting the average person would not notice an exposed firearm attached to a person's belt?

Unless its one of those ultra concealed that doesn't feel like a real gun, I find this hard to agree with.
I think hes talking more about carrying like this, concealed but outside waste band. I agree 99% of people would never think your carrying..if you saw somebody walking around like this I doubt you would think they are carrying:




Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #113
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I think hes talking more about carrying like this, concealed but outside waste band. I agree 99% of people would never think your carrying..if you saw somebody walking around like this I doubt you would think they are carrying:




Ah, gotcha. I was imagining fully open carry like an cop.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #114
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,475
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I did mean open carry too. You'd be surprised how many people don't notice.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #115
the xecutionr
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Elizabeth NJ
Posts: 771
My Ride: Imola M3 Vert
I have an owb pancake and an iwb for a sig 45... Pretty big gun.. and you cant tell at all with the iwb.. the pancake there is minimum poke also. Deff helps to have your waist band an inch or 2 bigger for iwb which is maybe normal for most people who dont like jeans that hug their nuts

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
__________________

THE ONLY THING I FEAR IS FAILURE, AND FAILURE IS NEVER AN OPTION. GO HARD OR GO HOME.

Last edited by the xecutionr; 10-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.
the xecutionr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #116
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I did mean open carry too. You'd be surprised how many people don't notice.
What's your measure for this? That people don't mention it to you?

Kind of hard to measure something not happening.

Edit: I'm talking about fully open carry, not concealed carry causing a bulge.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing

Last edited by dwass325; 10-27-2012 at 05:15 PM.
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #117
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,752
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
People don't notice, and it's because most of society is oblivious to their surroundings and no concept of situational awareness. I carry a gun into all "gun free" stores and locations because I'm exempted. Nobody ever notices any bulges I have on my hip, and they would call police if they did, because that's what people do here.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #118
Locutus09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 869
My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I did mean open carry too. You'd be surprised how many people don't notice.
This. I was extremely nervous when I first started carrying concealed IWB, I was concerned about printing, my shirt riding up...etc.

Now most of the time I carry OWB with my Raven Phantom (which is so awesome BTW). You'd think that people notice (especially a kid that's 22) but no one cares/notices.

One of the first time I OC'd it was on the way to the range...I wanted to get a slushie before hand so I stopped at a gas station and walked in. I was standing in check-out and there was a guy behind my standing on my gun side. I thought the whole time he was looking...but when it came time to leave he just nodded his head.

I was walking to my car and was getting in and I hear "Hey kid!"...Oh shit, this already?

The guy saw that car I drove and was interested in it. We talked for another 10 minutes and he eyes never wandered away from my eyes.

At that point I finally realized people are clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
What's your measure for this? That people don't mention it to you?

Kind of hard to measure something not happening.

Edit: I'm talking about fully open carry, not concealed carry causing a bulge.
I've had one person make a mention to me that I need to cover my firearm up and it's illegal. When you encounter those people it's best to turn the shoulder and take the high road. I simply said, I'm exercising my right and continued to say, have a nice day.

When open carrying (at least in Ohio) there are alot of local PDs that believe OC is illegal. Simply remembering the ORCs (Ohio revised codes) or even keeping a copy of them will explain the laws plain and simple.

ORC 9.68 says that only the state can regulate firearms ownership, carrying, transportation, storage, possession and transfer. The only thing left to cities is zoning of commercial sales and zoning of retail establishments. Cities can still regulate the discharge of a firearm. That's about it.

Since only the state can regulate ownership, carrying, transportation, etc., any city ordinance regulating those things is no longer valid. City gun registration, assault weapons bans, open carry bans, Saturday night special bans, child safety lock requirements are all examples of defunct city ordinances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
People don't notice, and it's because most of society is oblivious to their surroundings and no concept of situational awareness. I carry a gun into all "gun free" stores and locations because I'm exempted. Nobody ever notices any bulges I have on my hip, and they would call police if they did, because that's what people do here.
See my first post.
__________________

Last edited by Locutus09; 10-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #119
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,752
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
In reference to changing attire to carry, if you carry IWB, comfort can depend on what style of pants you wear and how you wear them. My legs are so big that I can't wear shorts or pants made for my waist size; I have to go up a couple sizes. This works to my advantage for carrying IWB or AIWB and it's much more comfortable. When I wear suits that are tailored, it gets a lot more uncomfortable.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #120
Ghostie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 590
My Ride: What else?
To echo all that's been said, I too have found that a little printing is almost inevitable, and undetectable to the untrained eye, so don't sweat it.

On the issue of sizing; I'm also a 32 inch waist, but I've been buying my pants in either 33 or 34 waist for years (I have unusually long legs, and it's extremely hard to find 32x34 pants in stores, so I buy a size up and have them altered.....except for my jeans.)

I've always worn my jeans a size-up because I don't mind a little bit of bunching up, since my shirt will cover it ( I never ever tuck in my shirt when wearing jeans)

This meant I didn't have to make any modifications to my jeans when I started carrying. I have just enough room for holster + gun, and I don't have any issues with retention or excess movement (assuming you've got a solid gun belt of course)

I can't imagine jamming a gun into my properly sized pants , I've tried it with some cargo shorts and it's pretty uncomfortable. If I have to wear nice pants, I just carry OWB and wear a Blazer.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use