E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Grey Leather interior

What I'm looking for is a good/decent leather cleaner to remove a tar looking stain on the rear leather seat. It looks like it might just be some black adhesive similar to that of the door panel cover (when you remove your window regulator). It seems to smear, but it certainly comes off If I pick at it, just don't want to keep doing that and ruin the leather. I know you guys recommend plenty of products that are awesome for this, but I'm looking for something I can buy at a local O'reilly or Autozone. Thanks in advance.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
What I'm looking for is a good/decent leather cleaner to remove a tar looking stain on the rear leather seat. It looks like it might just be some black adhesive similar to that of the door panel cover (when you remove your window regulator). It seems to smear, but it certainly comes off If I pick at it, just don't want to keep doing that and ruin the leather. I know you guys recommend plenty of products that are awesome for this, but I'm looking for something I can buy at a local O'reilly or Autozone. Thanks in advance.
UDM...I would try some WD40 to start with. This will remove more tar like stuff than most realize. Then you can try GooGone..this removes the sticky stuff left from the peal of stickers. I've used it to remove the adhesive left from removing window tint. Be careful as the leather has a vinyl/paint layer for the color. Then apply some leather conditoner like Lexol

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Leather Master***8482; Leather Degreaser (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) an aerosol product for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from finished leather surfaces. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning this type of stain as it dissolves the oils and transforms them into a powder that is more absorbent than the leather. This powder is what is wiped off, cleaning and degreasing the leather. Allow the white powder to dry fully. If the powder is drying to a yellow colour, it means that there are still a lot of oils in the leather.

Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into a foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process).
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
always-there

I went with the Lexol cleaner/conditioner, not bad. I ended up cleaning/buffing the leather 3 times and conditioned the leather twice just because it was so dirty. The leather has 1 or 2 cracks in the rear seat that are barely noticeable so that sucks. It ended up looking so good in the daylight by morning. Looks like 5 hours of interior cleaning payed off. I usually spend that on the whole car. I have a couple of friends that work in the upholstery business, so I might end up redoing the whole interior. Preferably black. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
always-there

The other day I was at the BMW dealership I noticed a whole rack of Lexol. Looks like that's what they use.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
djantlive

My Ride: E46 M3
Lexol cleaner and conditioner is great. I have used diluted carpet cleaner spray with good results too for hard stains. It will remove the dye if you keep rubbing it though.
djantlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by udm-e46 enthusiast View Post
the other day i was at the bmw dealership i noticed a whole rack of lexol. Looks like that's what they sell.
ftfy
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive leather upholstery –

- but were too afraid to ask

Automobile manufacturers have blurred the distinguishing lines on what exactly leather is. Premium leather is the top split of the hide. There are many so-called 'leathers' that are actually the bottom split (the fibrous part of the hide) which are covered with a vinyl or urethane coating.

I've been involved in both detailing and the renovation of leather since 1958 an also worked for the Connelly Leather Company (1960-1963 summer jobs while at college) at their leather tanning works. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use, you need to ascertain the grade of leather and the type of leather finish applied

Correct information regarding the care of leather is scarce, often contradictory, misleading, or simply wrong. Misinformation can lead to inadvertent damage to your vehicles leather upholstery; my goal is to present clear, concise, accurate information.

There is a great deal of conflicting information on leather care being put out by leather experts themselves who recommend the same products and techniques be used regardless of the grade or the finish applied or use baffling pseudo scientific techno speak as another marketing ploy.

Furniture, Motorcycle, Equestrian Automobile leather, all of which has different type of leather finishes and requires different care You do need to understand some of the basic chemistry behind the tanning and be able to differentiate between the various finishes applied to automotive leather in able to understand how to renovate, clean or care for them, one size fits all is a vendor myth

All of which makes it difficult to find a definitive, unbiased answer. Using the correct product is important in order to protect your car's interior.

[Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance] - George Bernard Shaw

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split -grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...fication.html#

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - "Leather Articles Hyperlinks" http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know or feel free to send me an email

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-27-2012 at 04:46 AM.
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote