E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Suspension that keeps stock height

Hi,

I wish to switch back to stock height due to an indoor parking lot I can't clear. What type of setups keeps more or less a stock height with the ride quality as well? My stock shocks are done but still have my stock springs but could go for aftermarket if it keeps the height.
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I think Sachs are the stockers.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
Bilstien HD shocks. I've had them on mine with stock springs. Keeps stock height with just slightly firmer ride then stock. They are about 1/2 price of Sach I've been pleased with them and have had Zero problems for about 40K so far.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
any shock will do.. koni bilstein manro kyb ... as long as you have your sport springs or non sport... the height is set by spring.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
WTF kind of parking garage can you not clear with even a slightly lowered car?

As was said, any shock except Bilstein Sports will do just fine for you. Springs set ride height and for those, you'll have to stick with OEM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
^ if he's putting on sport springs bilstein sports will be ok as well.. they have a shorter valve and have extra clearance for lower spring. he can still use them on regular spring. The HDs are very stiff.. plenty of ppl take sport over hd

pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
If you wanted to have options for lowering at some point, BC BR coilovers go as low as my sig shows, but can be raised to be HIGHER than stock...by a good margin. They are height and dampening adjustable and the preload doesn't change on the springs by adjusting height so ride quality won't change. You can set the adjustable dampening to be quite soft, softer than the stock sport shocks which produces a better ride than stock. Inversely, you can go very firm on them for a more sporty feeling.

Given the price, they are almost as affordable as just replacing the shocks. IMO it's a no brainer unless you need OEM for some reason or don't see a benefit in the slight additional cost.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Bilstein HD or Koni can be used with stock, eibach (recommended), or H&R springs (not recommended).
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
^ if he's putting on sport springs bilstein sports will be ok as well.. they have a shorter valve and have extra clearance for lower spring. he can still use them on regular spring. The HDs are very stiff.. plenty of ppl take sport over hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
If you wanted to have options for lowering at some point, BC BR coilovers go as low as my sig shows, but can be raised to be HIGHER than stock...by a good margin. They are height and dampening adjustable and the preload doesn't change on the springs by adjusting height so ride quality won't change. You can set the adjustable dampening to be quite soft, softer than the stock sport shocks which produces a better ride than stock. Inversely, you can go very firm on them for a more sporty feeling.

Given the price, they are almost as affordable as just replacing the shocks. IMO it's a no brainer unless you need OEM for some reason or don't see a benefit in the slight additional cost.

e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Scooby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post

Problem? Use your words.

Last edited by Scooby24; 10-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Problem? Use your words.
No. Good to know that those coilovers will raise the ride height above normal but it doesn't apply to awd suspension at all . They don't make those coilovers for xi's. We only have a few suspension options.
Coilovers on the highest setting will still lower an xi by over an inch.
OP needs the stock height as he stated.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Scooby24

my mistake, didn't realize they wouldn't work for the xi's.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
SamDoe1

Love it when the RWD guys come in here with all the solutions for a RWD car...and then realize that most of it doesn't matter or fit on an Xi.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm currently already on Bilstein Sport with H&R, that's why the car doesn't clear the badly designed indoor parking. I'd like to add that one of my rear stock springs is broken, so it would have to be replaced if I stick with OEM.

Some from what I've gathered, I have these options:

1. Koni + Stock
2. Koni + Eibach
3. Bilstein Sport + Eibach
4. Coilovers? Any model with the height flexibility and decent comfort?

Among these 3 options, how's the ride and the height versus my current setup?

Thanks!

Last edited by KYC; 10-30-2012 at 02:24 PM.
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post

I'm currently already on Bilstein Sport with H&R, that's why the car doesn't clear the badly designed indoor parking. I'd like to add that one of my rear stock springs is broken, so it would have to be replaced if I stick with OEM.

1. Koni + Stock - Ride and right height will be identical to stock. If you are going this route, I highly recommend Bilstein HD shocks instead of the Konis.
2. Koni + Eibach - Ride will be pretty much stock, height will be ~1.0in lower. Adjustable shocks should you need more comfort or more stiffness.
3. Bilstein Sport + Eibach - Same as above, no adjustment in shocks. If I had to do it again, I'd go this route to save some money.
4. Coilovers? Any model with the height flexibility and decent comfort? - No, this will lower your car too much. Also, you would have to get another alignment every time you change your ride height. There is also the potential requirement for camber plates depending on how low you go.

Thanks!
See above.

Your H&R springs broke? Those should have a warranty on them, I know the Eibachs come with a million mile warranty (so lifetime...).
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post

1. Koni + Stock
2. Koni + Eibach
3. Bilstein Sport + Eibach
4. Coilovers? Any model with the height flexibility and decent comfort?

Thanks!
You need to search. And I said above to use Bilstein HD with eibach springs.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote