E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I judge things based on their price, and in terms of feature per dollar, the Nexus 4 is leaps and bounds above any other new phone on the market, even without LTE. Not because it's a better phone (it's not), but because it's almost as good for $350 less.

If the iPhone 4S had been $349 unsubsidized on its launch, it wouldn't have been regarded by near as many people as a disappointment. All the sudden it becomes the best deal around. Things change when the price is so dramatically lower than the norm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
My point is that the price isn't so dramatically different to the consumer. The device cost is cheaper, but I'd venture to guess that for 95% of potential buyers it is not cheaper OTD.

Most people sign that contract without a second thought. So a Nexus 4 is $299. An iPhone 5 is $199. An S3 is $99. OTD prices.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Do you consider how destructive it is to the market with Google trying to drop the bottom out of pricing? The only reason they're doing this is because the Nexus line doesn't sell well but if that changes you're going to have pissed off Android partners with no margin and thus no ability to develop great new products. Pretty soon Samsung is going to own the entire ecosystem. Google is ensuring that margins stay razor thin. They're going to have to cut manufacturers in on their profits from content and advertising. A race to the bottom does not excite me.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #43
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
Do you consider how destructive it is to the market with Google trying to drop the bottom out of pricing? The only reason they're doing this is because the Nexus line doesn't sell well but if that changes you're going to have pissed off Android partners with no margin and thus no ability to develop great new products. Pretty soon Samsung is going to own the entire ecosystem. Google is ensuring that margins stay razor thin. They're going to have to cut manufacturers in on their profits from content and advertising. A race to the bottom does not excite me.
It's only destructive if the Nexus 4 is successful. To the mass market I don't think it will be, even though it's a very cool phone.

To your average Joe/Sally comparing a Windows, Apple, and Google phone it is one of the most expensive out there (because afaik they aren't offering it subsidized) and it doesn't have LTE. Not a recipe for success.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #44
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Most people sign that contract without a second thought.
Hopefully Google's pricing and unlocked strategy will catch on and this will no longer be the case.

Verizon is getting close (within 2 years maybe) to being able to offer voice over LTE, meaning that CDMA will become obsolete. Maybe then things can start changing for the better. Cheaper phones, no contracts, more advanced networks.

jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #45
Grande D

Quote:
Hopefully Google's pricing and unlocked strategy will catch on and this will no longer be the case.

Verizon is getting close (within 2 years maybe) to being able to offer voice over LTE, meaning that CDMA will become obsolete. Maybe then things can start changing for the better. Cheaper phones, no contracts, more advanced networks.

In that case I agree with what Tauce says

Quote:
Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #46
jeffro3000

Not sure about that... Asus profits were up 43% last quarter thanks largely in part to the cheapo Nexus 7 tablet sales. Razor thin margins? Just because they're not 50 or 60% like Apple's doesn't mean they're not making any money.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-30-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #47
Tauce says

Quote:
Not sure about that... Asus profits were up 43% last quarter thanks largely in part to the cheapo Nexus 7 tablet sales. Razor thin margins? Just because they're not 50 or 60% like Apple's doesn't mean they're not making any money.

Yes Asus made 230 mil on 3.8 billion in revenue. Apple is mad jelly. They also said they hope to sell 10 million tablets in 2013. This leads me to believe that very little of that profit is derived from the Nexus 7 and that you're full of crap. Apple's 50% margins ignore development and advertising budgets.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #49
jeffro3000

Quote:
Yes Asus made 230 mil on 3.8 billion in revenue. Apple is mad jelly. They also said they hope to sell 10 million tablets in 2013. This leads me to believe that very little of that profit is derived from the Nexus 7 and that you're full of crap. Apple's 50% margins ignore development and advertising budgets.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspe...-an-ipad-mini/

Actually, it looks like a pretty good deal for Asus. Not that I don't value your opinion too or anything though.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #50
jeffro3000

Hands on with the Nexus 4 from Wired:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...lagship-phone/

It's getting more and more annoying that there is no LTE version since it's looking like such a good phone otherwise. A CDMA version like the LTE Gnex would be a nice addition to Verizon.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #51
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
asus ftw

Quote:

Actually, it looks like a pretty good deal for Asus. Not that I don't value your opinion too or anything though.

WHY do tech blogs post bibles instead of videos?

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #52
jeffro3000

Quote:
To your average Joe/Sally comparing a Windows, Apple, and Google phone it is one of the most expensive out there (because afaik they aren't offering it subsidized)
Oops, didn't see this earlier. T-mobile is offering it subsidized, they are the only one though.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #53
Tauce says

Quote:

They've already dropped prices from the ones in that article. A 25% gross margin is not great on a piece of consumer electronics at the volume they're doing and the investment involved for development and tooling. They're effectively setting a ceiling on the Android tablet market.

Last edited by Tauce says; 10-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #54
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
I don't think they're artificially lowering prices. I think some of the other manufacturers are artificially keeping prices inflated. Considering the speed with which the technology is advancing and with which new models are coming out, I think manufacturers are perfectly capable of producing great phones that don't need to be $700 without a contract.

I like that Google has given people the opportunity not to be bound to carriers in return for a discount. When customers can come and go as they please, maybe providers will start offering better service and support.

Quote:
Most people sign that contract without a second thought. So a Nexus 4 is $299. An iPhone 5 is $199. An S3 is $99. OTD prices.
That's the problem. That's the reason why we went from $5 internet to $30 internet to $20 for 200 mb and $30 for 3gb and why we may get even worse deals and service in the future. Because people don't think when they sign the contract. But who can blame them? It's not like they had much choice. Now they might.

Last edited by 'busa; 10-31-2012 at 07:48 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
'busa

I'm going on a three week trip on the 16th and the phone comes out on the 13th. I think there's absolutely no way I can get it on time.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #56
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I don't think they're artificially lowering prices. I think some of the other manufacturers are artificially keeping prices inflated. Considering the speed with which the technology is advancing and with which new models are coming out, I think manufacturers are perfectly capable of producing great phones that don't need to be $700 without a contract.

I like that Google has given people the opportunity not to be bound to carriers in return for a discount. When customers can come and go as they please, maybe providers will start offering better service and support.

That's the problem. That's the reason why we went from $5 internet to $30 internet to $20 for 200 mb and $30 for 3gb and why we may get even worse deals and service in the future. Because people don't think when they sign the contract. But who can blame them? It's not like they had much choice. Now they might.
But if you want a data plan with your off contract phone, you're still going to pay for it as if you were subsidizing a phone.

Also I looked it up and it looks like the T-Mobile deal makes the phone more expensive.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #57
'busa

Quote:
But if you want a data plan with your off contract phone, you're still going to pay for it as if you were subsidizing a phone.

Also I looked it up and it looks like the T-Mobile deal makes the phone more expensive.
Freedom of choice encourages more competitive pricing and better service overall.

T-mobile offers unlimited text, talk and data for $69. Where do you see a cheaper plan?

http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #58
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post

+1

And

+1

More consumer mobility between carriers could have a good effect on competition, which would be especially useful here where the trend seems to be getting less for more.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #59
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
Its really frustrating that the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE, its more frustrating Google doesn't take the same approach as Windows Phone and dictate all the updates to their phones, let the manufacturers 'skin' get updated independently.

I'm considering the RAZR MAXX HD on Verizon, but I have no idea if it will get 4.2 or anything past 4.1, since it shipped with 4.0 for whatever reason. Forcing Google updates would be so much easier.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 10-31-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #60
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Its really frustrating that the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE, its more frustrating Google doesn't take the same approach as Windows Phone and dictate all the updates to their phones, let the manufacturers 'skin' get updated independently.
The phone won't work on a CDMA network and LTE on AT&T has pretty shitty coverage anyway. Most people that own LTE phones don't get LTE service:

Verizon in RED. AT&T in BLUE.

HSPA+ is a bit better covered, though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I'm considering the RAZR MAXX HD on Verizon, but I have no idea if it will get 4.2 or anything past 4.1, since it shipped with 4.0 for whatever reason. Forcing Google updates would be so much easier.
I'm not a big fan of motorola, but go on XDA developers and see how easy it is to update the software yourself....

Last edited by 'busa; 10-31-2012 at 09:14 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote