E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #81
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
We are so similar in strength it's scary. I do think you should definitely tone down your press goal though. A 50lb increase on such a small muscle is going to be very hard. I set my squat goal at 50lbs and am a little concerned I won't hit it. Only makes me want it more though.

If you need any help coming up with some conditioning workouts let me know. With glights help and my own research I think I've learned a decent amount and come up with some good workouts that are actually beneficial. I've had plenty of friends tell me they've never workout that hard, they have never felt like that, the pain the next way was crazy etc. These weren't just newbs either. I'm talking guys that have been lifting for years and capable of benching 300 + lbs. it's just something they weren't used to. The thing is that you need to keep them short and heavy. Since our goals are to be stronger/more muscular this is the way to go. Those 15-30 min crossfit style metcons will not help as much as some of the 10 minute wods I do. Which if moved to 15-30 min would literally make me pass out or I'd sacrifice intensity which makes it pointless since calories burning isn't my goal.

Oh one more thing, people will look at you and wonder what you're doing. Don't worry about them. Let them see what you did when you're sitting on the floor huffing and puffing. Btw this hurricane has made me super lazy. I intended to do a workout tonight but I'm not feeling it. Ill be back at it tomorrow and get weekend work in too.
Yeah its definitely scary, and pretty sure we have similar goals. I've read everyones stuff on here, thats what I do... read and learn and apply to my own goals. But I definitely get confused on the exercise/goals portion sometimes. I have a feeling we could help eachother immensely as we progress.

I am a creature of habit. I don't just like routines, I require them to function. I have a routine for everything, and I feel a sense of success when I follow the routine to completion, no matter how small.

For me to be successful at this, I need to have a routine for everything built up front, that I fully understand the objective etc. I'm a personal trainers wet dream, they build me a program and I follow it religiously lol.

So I kind of need help from the "personal trainer" perspective. I need a routine built for me (I like the one I tweaked and posted earlier, open to suggestions) and I have no problem throwing in conditioning... just need to know some examples (or where to look, google is an appropriate response lol) and how to apply those examples to my current routine.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #82
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
We are so similar in strength it's scary. I do think you should definitely tone down your press goal though. A 50lb increase on such a small muscle is going to be very hard. I set my squat goal at 50lbs and am a little concerned I won't hit it. Only makes me want it more though.

If you need any help coming up with some conditioning workouts let me know. With glights help and my own research I think I've learned a decent amount and come up with some good workouts that are actually beneficial. I've had plenty of friends tell me they've never workout that hard, they have never felt like that, the pain the next way was crazy etc. These weren't just newbs either. I'm talking guys that have been lifting for years and capable of benching 300 + lbs. it's just something they weren't used to. The thing is that you need to keep them short and heavy. Since our goals are to be stronger/more muscular this is the way to go. Those 15-30 min crossfit style metcons will not help as much as some of the 10 minute wods I do. Which if moved to 15-30 min would literally make me pass out or I'd sacrifice intensity which makes it pointless since calories burning isn't my goal.

Oh one more thing, people will look at you and wonder what you're doing. Don't worry about them. Let them see what you did when you're sitting on the floor huffing and puffing. Btw this hurricane has made me super lazy. I intended to do a workout tonight but I'm not feeling it. Ill be back at it tomorrow and get weekend work in too.
Yeah, that would be some CRAZY progress on the press. 5 years ago my press was 135 and now its 195, so 50lbs in a year sounds crazy to me. That being said you press is a bit low compared to your other lifts, so maybe it will catch up quicker.
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #83
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Yeah its definitely scary, and pretty sure we have similar goals. I've read everyones stuff on here, thats what I do... read and learn and apply to my own goals. But I definitely get confused on the exercise/goals portion sometimes. I have a feeling we could help eachother immensely as we progress.

I am a creature of habit. I don't just like routines, I require them to function. I have a routine for everything, and I feel a sense of success when I follow the routine to completion, no matter how small.

For me to be successful at this, I need to have a routine for everything built up front, that I fully understand the objective etc. I'm a personal trainers wet dream, they build me a program and I follow it religiously lol.

So I kind of need help from the "personal trainer" perspective. I need a routine built for me (I like the one I tweaked and posted earlier, open to suggestions) and I have no problem throwing in conditioning... just need to know some examples (or where to look, google is an appropriate response lol) and how to apply those examples to my current routine.
I'll give you some suggestions on conditioning workouts once you get your split all set.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #84
dabears

My logic behind goals was to increase the bigger lifts by 100lbs, and the smaller lifts (bench/press) by 50 lbs. Sounds like that was a little too crude

Honestly in simple terms, my 1 year goal is to cut down to decently visible abs, add 10 lbs or at least significant muscle mass, and create better symmetry in my physique.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #85
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
My current routine is a mix of a lot of consistency but also let's me do whatever conditioning work I want as long as it fits the requirements.

My workouts to many people will seem very random but when you look at them you'll see whatever my strength lifts are will be complimented by the metcon. Some weeks ill hit things harder but I try to hit everything twice a week if possible.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #86
dabears

Alright, I'm confident this will work for me, so feel free to plug in conditioning workouts... it is very much appreciated. I made exact reps to strive for, trying to keep in the 8-10 rep range as I've personally seen my best gains from that volume/weight. Tried for 25-30 total rep volume per set.

Ignore all my calculations its just for myself to make sure im not in gym 3+ hours a day.

Monday - Shoulders / Triceps : 24 Sets = 51 Minutes

Shoulders : 15 Sets = 37.5 Minutes
DB Press - 4x6 : 120 rest
Military Press - 4x6 : 120 rest
Side Laterals - 3x8 : 120 rest
Rear delts cables - 4x6 : 120 rest
Triceps : 9 Sets = 13.5 Minutes
Skulls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Press Downs - 3x8 : 60 rest
French Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest

Tuesday - Back / Calves : 26 Sets = 60 Minutes

Back : 19 Sets = 49 Minutes
Deadlifts - 3x8 Reps : 180 rest
Pull Ups - 4x7 Reps : 120 rest
Bent over rows - 4x8 Reps : 120 rest
Wide Lat Pull Downs - 4x6 Reps : 120 rest
Seat rows - 4x8 Reps : 120 rest
Calves : 7 Sets = 11 Minutes
Leg Press Calves - 4x10 : 60 rest
Seated 21s - 3x21 : 60 rest

Thursday - Chest / Biceps : 25 Sets = 53.5 Minutes

Chest : 16 Sets = 40 Minutes
Incline DB Press - 4x8 : 120 rest
Flat Bench Press - 4x8 : 120 rest
Pec Dec - 4x8 : 120 rest
Low Cables - 4x8 : 120 rest
Biceps : 9 Sets = 13.5 Minutes
Preacher Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Incline DB Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Concentration curls - 3x8 : 60 rest

Friday - Quads / Hamstrings : 28 Sets = One Hour 12 Minutes

Quads : 16 Sets = 42.5 Minutes
Squats - 5x12,10,6,6,8 : 180 rest
Leg Press - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Lunges - 3x8 : 120 rest
Extensions - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Hamstrings : 12 Sets = 30 Minutes
Straight Leg Deads - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Seated Hams - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Lying Hams - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Old 10-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #87
dabears

Quote:
My current routine is a mix of a lot of consistency but also let's me do whatever conditioning work I want as long as it fits the requirements.

My workouts to many people will seem very random but when you look at them you'll see whatever my strength lifts are will be complimented by the metcon. Some weeks ill hit things harder but I try to hit everything twice a week if possible.
Yeah I figured they were "random" but yet still hitting all muscle groups at least once week was over.

If conditioning will make me a better hockey player (which I'm sure it will) I'm stoked to add it to my training. Just don't want to spend more than an hour and a half in the gym unless im working out on a weekend day... which is rare for me. But sounds like its just an additional 10-15 minutes a workout.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #88
Glight

Today I did conditioning only, so it didn't really have a focus on anything in particular and wasn't heavy. That's usually what I do when I'm not doing any lifting.

Here's what I did. This is the kind of thing you could add in when you do your mini cuts.

1000m row
Rest 2:00
200 doubleunders
50 burpees
50 30lb slamballs
Run 800m

Brutal...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #89
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Alright, I'm confident this will work for me, so feel free to plug in conditioning workouts... it is very much appreciated. I made exact reps to strive for, trying to keep in the 8-10 rep range as I've personally seen my best gains from that volume/weight. Tried for 25-30 total rep volume per set.

Ignore all my calculations its just for myself to make sure im not in gym 3+ hours a day.

Monday - Shoulders / Triceps : 24 Sets = 51 Minutes

Shoulders : 15 Sets = 37.5 Minutes
DB Press - 4x6 : 120 rest
Military Press - 4x6 : 120 rest
Side Laterals - 3x8 : 120 rest
Rear delts cables - 4x6 : 120 rest
Triceps : 9 Sets = 13.5 Minutes
Skulls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Press Downs - 3x8 : 60 rest
French Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest

Tuesday - Back / Calves : 26 Sets = 60 Minutes

Back : 19 Sets = 49 Minutes
Deadlifts - 3x8 Reps : 180 rest
Pull Ups - 4x7 Reps : 120 rest
Bent over rows - 4x8 Reps : 120 rest
Wide Lat Pull Downs - 4x6 Reps : 120 rest
Seat rows - 4x8 Reps : 120 rest
Calves : 7 Sets = 11 Minutes
Leg Press Calves - 4x10 : 60 rest
Seated 21s - 3x21 : 60 rest

Thursday - Chest / Biceps : 25 Sets = 53.5 Minutes

Chest : 16 Sets = 40 Minutes
Incline DB Press - 4x8 : 120 rest
Flat Bench Press - 4x8 : 120 rest
Pec Dec - 4x8 : 120 rest
Low Cables - 4x8 : 120 rest
Biceps : 9 Sets = 13.5 Minutes
Preacher Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Incline DB Curls - 3x8 : 60 rest
Concentration curls - 3x8 : 60 rest

Friday - Quads / Hamstrings : 28 Sets = One Hour 12 Minutes

Quads : 16 Sets = 42.5 Minutes
Squats - 5x12,10,6,6,8 : 180 rest
Leg Press - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Lunges - 3x8 : 120 rest
Extensions - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Hamstrings : 12 Sets = 30 Minutes
Straight Leg Deads - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Seated Hams - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest
Lying Hams - 4x10,8,6,10 : 120 rest

Just a key point...

....make sure that you really focus on the eccentric/concentric portion of all of your lifts/movements (..mind/muscle connection). I would personally extend the reps on movements such as the reverse cable flies, lat pull downs, pec deck/low cables, etc. simply for the aesthetic, muscle building benefits. For movements like those I typically stay in the 10-12 rep range while increasing weight incrementally. Have at it, and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-30-2012 at 09:49 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #90
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Yeah, that would be some CRAZY progress on the press. 5 years ago my press was 135 and now its 195, so 50lbs in a year sounds crazy to me. That being said you press is a bit low compared to your other lifts, so maybe it will catch up quicker.

Which press are you referring to bro? I can't imagine any of your presses being that low considering that you put up some really big numbers.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-30-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #91
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Which press are you referring to bro? I can't imagine any of your presses being that low considering that you put up some really big numbers.
Standing strict shoulder press. I'll try to find a video right now.

What is yours?

Put all your numbers into strstd.com and it will show you where each of your lifts are in comparison to averages of people your own size who lift.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #92
Glight

Here's a video:

My press is pretty average with where the rest of my lifts are.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #93
M3Inline6

Quote:

What is yours?

Put all your numbers into strstd.com and it will show you where each of your lifts are in comparison to averages of people your own size who lift.

Good question. I've never performed a standing shoulder press; I usually perform the seated military press. My strict military press max is unknown, but I can toss around 200 lbs. pretty easily (..usually 4 x 10 reps). I'm going to start going up in weight though.

I think that I'm going to try a standing shoulder press to see where I'm at. I'm guessing that it's in the 175 range. Per the website you suggested, it stated:
  • Bench press: 347 lbs. estimated 1RM (Elite)
  • Squat: 486 lbs. estimated 1RM (Elite)
  • Deadlift: 441 lbs. estimated 1RM (Advanced)
  • Overhead press (seated): 218 lbs. estimated 1RM (Elite)

I used the elite figure for the Bench/Squat/Overhead press number because I can already lift the weight estimated in the advanced column. I chose advanced for the deadlift number because I have already exceeded the intermediate number. The estimates were based on being able to bench 335 lbs., squat 350 lbs., deadlift 350 lbs. and shoulder press 200 lbs. I considered using my 460-ish lb. 1RM on the squat from 07', but I haven't squatted more than 375 lb. since I began my program, and I'm unsure if I could do 460 lbs. today.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #94
dabears

Quote:
Today I did conditioning only, so it didn't really have a focus on anything in particular and wasn't heavy. That's usually what I do when I'm not doing any lifting.

Here's what I did. This is the kind of thing you could add in when you do your mini cuts.

1000m row
200 doubleunders
50 burpees
50 30lb slamballs
Run 800m

Brutal...

Thanks! I like the idea of this much more than just mindlessly running on a treadmill, plus it helps your functional strength, and would do a lot to maintain muscle in a cut I believe.

Found a goldmine of short metcons (I'll keep up to date with sollys and others etc as well)

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35062

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Just a key point...

....make sure that you really focus on the eccentric/concentric portion of all of your lifts/movements (..mind/muscle connection). I would personally extend the reps on movements such as the reverse cable flies, lat pull downs, pec deck/low cables, etc. simply for the aesthetic, muscle building benefits. For movements like those I typically stay in the 10-12 rep range while increasing weight incrementally. Have at it, and let us know how it goes.

While I'm not an advanced lifter, I've definitely noticed over the past two years just how much more connected I am with my body. Crazy once you've been lifting how you understand how to flex each and every little muscle, and what its purpose is. I still remember when I first figured out I could alternate popping my pecs like in the movies

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #95
dabears

My standard strength was the following (used last workout reps/weights):

175 lb Male (I found it curious they don't ask height??)

Bench: 190 1RM, 6 lbs shy of intermediate level.
Squat: 262 1RM, right at beginning of intermediate
Deadlift: 345 1RM, 25% of the way to advanced
Press: 136 1RM, Just into intermediate

I thought I had achieved "intermediate" status, looks like that was a decent assumption. Would be nice to be just before / at advanced level in a years time.

Edit: More realistic goals to get close to advanced status for each (I'll revisit this in a years time and see where im at)

Current:

5 reps of 160 lbs Bench
5 reps of 225 lbs Squat
5 reps of 280 lbs Deadlift
5 reps of 115 lbs Press

Goals:

5 reps of 225 lbs Bench (+65 lbs)
5 reps of 305 lbs Squat (+80 lbs)
5 reps of 350 lbs Deadlift (+70 lbs)
5 reps of 135 lbs Press (+20 lbs)

Last edited by dabears; 10-31-2012 at 12:22 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #96
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:

What is yours?

I'm pretty much middle of intermediate and advanced for Press, Dead, and right above intermediate for squat and bench. Seems like most of the guys around here are far above this level.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-31-2012 at 01:02 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #97
OrisuE46

My Ride: 325xi
good progress man. i wish i had some old pics to show cause i too was skinny fat

R.I.P

OrisuE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #98
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrisuE46 View Post
good progress man. i wish i had some old pics to show cause i too was skinny fat
Thanks!

I've reached 10 weeks of training hard / eating big. I am at 176.1 lbs, and scale reads 17.1%. Having had a caliper test in the past, I believe I have just started to go over 15% bf, which means its time to try my "mini-cut" experiment.

For the next two weeks (or more if required) I am going to weight lift intensely 3 times a week, and do conditioning workouts two times a week. I am going to give intermittent fasting a shot, as I've researched a lot on it and its very fascinating stuff.

Heres my macros/calories for next two weeks if anyones interested:

I'm taking before and after pictures and putting them side by side, I'll post them to see if two weeks can make any visual difference in BF % (because I feel a visual difference in the past 10 weeks of bulking).

Looking to lose 2-3 lbs, and get down to just above 174 lbs again. Based on the calc, it will take minimum 4 weeks... but I think (knowing my body) I can shred it off quicker.

Last edited by dabears; 11-06-2012 at 05:54 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #99
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
this thread needs more pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #100
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
this thread needs more pictures
Ask and you shall receive...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352259235.244350.jpg
Views:	45