E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #281
veli510

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blksab65 View Post
UPDATE!
here you can see the shocks leaking for those of you who didnt believe my shocks were leaking after 5k miles thats the leakage on the ground from just laying there for an hour going to fax in the needed info and get them sent out asap, for the record im on coils in the rear and stock sport in the front for the time being also notice the oil on the shock itself in picture 3
i'm surprise that your shocks went out after 5k. Bay area roads aren't bad too except oakland. lol. I was actually thinking of getting ST coilovers.

How's the ride quality in the bay with them anyway?
veli510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #282
BMW2D4EVR

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
UPDATE!
here you can see the shocks leaking for those of you who didnt believe my shocks were leaking after 5k miles thats the leakage on the ground from just laying there for an hour going to fax in the needed info and get them sent out asap, for the record im on coils in the rear and stock sport in the front for the time being also notice the oil on the shock itself in picture 3
Are you also running ST coils? All this talk about leaking struts makes me want to check mine, but being In college is already enough work
BMW2D4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #283
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
UPDATE!
Install error? I have had mine over 3 years and haven't any issues like y'all are describing...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #284
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Update:

FCP contacted KW/their vendor, and KW willing to replace the entire kit at this point. I'll have to place a deposit for a new kit, receive it, install it, and send back the old kit to get the deposit back. Dissapointing part, I'll have to cover shipping costs if I choose this option. Since I'm not a wholesaler, I don't have access to lower shipping rates. This will mean approx. $160 out of pocket expenses.

I'm not sure of what to do at this point.. Warranty the 1 deffective strut, no expense. Or ship the entire kit back for $160 + deposit.
That said, I don't feel comfortable sending KW my kit after reading this thread: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172787
My (biased) fear is that they'll nitpick and try to find a reason to reject my old coilovers as part of the deal.

Interesting how all of the sudden issues with these kits presented themselves, in a relativley short span of time. Seems like a bad batch to me.
Opinions?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #285
BMW2D4EVR

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I'm guessing they dont give you the option of being able to return your set of coilovers for a refund of your money is out of the question? This companies problems seem to be never ending. If my struts start to leak, I'm going to pursue that route of returning them.
BMW2D4EVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #286
ac_2007

I can't really return them. Only for credit perhaps, but then I'm out a suspension and shipping cost.

What's probably going to happen is I'm going to get the replacement strut, make sure as many problems with the kit are taken care of, and sell it locally.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #287
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Its about to be winter. ST is not made for Salt Roads...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #288
ac_2007

And to those that choose to drive with ST coilovers on salty roads:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43415,43440
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #289
blksab65

My Ride: 1987 325 (i Swapped)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2D4EVR View Post
Are you also running ST coils? All this talk about leaking struts makes me want to check mine, but being In college is already enough work
yes of course there st coils or i wouldnt have posted pics of them here...
blksab65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #290
blksab65

Quote:
Originally Posted by veli510 View Post
i'm surprise that your shocks went out after 5k. Bay area roads aren't bad too except oakland. lol. I was actually thinking of getting ST coilovers.

How's the ride quality in the bay with them anyway?
they ride quality is fine with them, they dont go that low so your not going ot have trouble with your car bottoming out beside on SOME speed bumps, and im on 17's
Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #291
blksab65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I can't really return them. Only for credit perhaps, but then I'm out a suspension and shipping cost.

What's probably going to happen is I'm going to get the replacement strut, make sure as many problems with the kit are taken care of, and sell it locally.
there under warrenty just fill out the tech sheet and send them in... and then you sell them on here as "freshly rebuilt" because they rebuild the leaking shocks rather then giving you new ones.... im STILL fu*king waiting for mine, my oem suspension i installed is forcing me to drive on horrible alignment (cause im not paying for 2 alignments )

PS i had to pay shipping costs to them too (but it was $10 to send 2 shocks to them because there relativity close to me) still a

Last edited by blksab65; 10-30-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #292
blksab65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Install error? I have had mine over 3 years and haven't any issues like y'all are describing...
i doubt a official ST coilover distributor/ shop would screw up on a instal... yet again they over torqued the struts...
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #293
Restoring

My Ride: '99 323i
This is a shame. My top choices for coilovers have now both made me nervous due to the factory being so shifty with regards to settling issues. At this point, I'm thinking Raceland Ultimos are a better deal. At least they don't make you run in circles to get a replacement when things break, and if they did I'd only be out $400 instead of $1000 + hassles.

Either that or air, and I was hoping it'd never come to that.

Last edited by Restoring; 10-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Restoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #294
blksab65

update! sent a package with the shocks in it to st about 14 days ago, i call them and they said they just received it yesterday.... liers here too ore what? Also asked if they did anything to them for the 2 days they've had them there now, they said "no we haven't check them out yet" Like damn im doing damage to my tires because the alignment is off so bad right now because of a factory defect thats just some bs! hurry up and fix them! (PS im mad because the guy over the phone said because the factory and were i live aren't as far as others, such as across the country, that the hole process should be done in 5-7 days...)

EDIT, im looking at the my previous post and it was Oct, 17th so thats how many days? (shipped them out the 17th) so thats 15 days ago, thats half a month

Last edited by blksab65; 11-01-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #295
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoring View Post
This is a shame. My top choices for coilovers have now both made me nervous due to the factory being so shifty with regards to settling issues. At this point, I'm thinking Raceland Ultimos are a better deal. At least they don't make you run in circles to get a replacement when things break, and if they did I'd only be out $400 instead of $1000 + hassles.

Either that or air, and I was hoping it'd never come to that.
Don't be afraid. Atleast, they are fixing the problem. For DIY'er this comes with modding cars. There is other companys won't even bother fixing the issue and leave u hanging. I have had my ST/KW for 4 years now and they are working great! NO issues and I live in the south.

Quote:
update! sent a package with the shocks in it to st about 14 days ago, i call them and they said they just received it yesterday.... liers here too ore what? Also asked if they did anything to them for the 2 days they've had them there now, they said "no we haven't check them out yet" Like WTF im doing damage to my tires because the alignment is off so bad right now because of a factory defect thats just some bullsh*t! hurry the Fu*k up and fix them! (PS im mad because the guy over the phone said because the factory and were i live aren't as far as others, such as across the country, that the hole process should be done in 5-7 days...)

EDIT, im looking at the my previous post and it was Oct, 17th so thats how many days? (shipped them out the 17th) so thats 15 days ago, thats half a mofo month
blksab65,

Shipping depending where you are takes 5-7 days and then KW have a HUGE Warehouse so there is a process for the Coil-overs goes to into its probably imputed in the computer. People now days act like the Tech/Warranty department just sits and wait for items to come in and work on their stuff right away. They might have some customer in-front of you. RMA takes time some people does it faster then other.

-TrippinBimmer
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #296
blksab65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris@TSS View Post
I wouldn't remove your helper spring you will void the warranty. Just spoke with ST on the issue. They are working on the issue.
if your car is on the lowest setting its already void, im paying to rebuild my shocks now PS, that means everyone on this page has a void warranty cause you came here looking to go more low

Last edited by blksab65; 11-04-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #297
blksab65

UPDATE!
so i went a head and gave the "OK" to rebuild the shocks, decided to just not slam my car and sell it and upgrade to a zhp package... it will be missed
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #298
ac_2007

Quote:
UPDATE!
so i went a head and gave the "OK" to rebuild the shocks, decided to just not slam my car and sell it and upgrade to a zhp package... it will be missed
Really dissapointing you had to pay them for a rebuild.

Once I get my replacement struts, it will be essentailly new again and I plan on selling this kit locally.

My Update:

FCP has been dealing with KW to get me a replacement driver front strut. I just have to pay to ship my old one back. Jason VanGorden has been helpful dealing with me in this process (he's aware of this thread)

Last week I received a FedEx shipment from KW.
Contents: Passenger front strut

Up next, waiting for the correct side to ship.....

Update 2: The correct strut has been shipped priority and is scheduled for delivery today according to the tracking number

Very happy with FCP Groton!

Last edited by ac_2007; 12-03-2012 at 09:35 AM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote