E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
youngs

My Ride: 04'330ci RX-8 FX35
front bumper recognition needed. insurance issue incl.

this is the way I've bought the car. seems like not the factory oem one.
can anybody tell this is the oem bumper or not?

if I had an accident and make the insurance pay for this bumper , are they not going to pay for this bumper cover?

got some horrible situation with insurance. need to get some advice from all fanatics. thank you in advance.
youngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Jesse M

My Ride: 05' ZHP
M-Tech II
Jesse M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
aftermarket M3 bumper?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
*Jamie*

My Ride: E46 318Ci
M Tech II. It's perfectly plausible, and considering the age of your car, quite likely that it was installed from the factory, it all depends on the original spec of your car. However, I don't think an insurance company would pick up on it, or particularly care if it was added; I know mine certainly wouldn't. M Tech II bumpers are very common on facelift coupes so would probably go under the radar.

See if you can find the original spec sheet of your car.
*Jamie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
That looks like a poorly fitted aftermarket Mtech II bumper.
Chances are, the insurance company will just put on the proper, "regular" bumper. Curious to know how it works out though.
theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOCHO View Post
That looks like a poorly fitted aftermarket Mtech II bumper.
Chances are, the insurance company will just put on the proper, "regular" bumper. Curious to know how it works out though.
Thank you all. I will post up how's it gonna be. it could be from the factory , or aftermarket? damn I don't want the regular bumper though.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
theOCHO

My Ride: 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngs View Post
Thank you all. I will post up how's it gonna be. it could be from the factory , or aftermarket? damn I don't want the regular bumper though.
Haha. I don't blame you. The bumper on my old 330 looked like it was wearing a mustache. Yours is a facelifted coupe though, which looks different, but still not good.

theOCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Russell318

My Ride: E46 318 coupe
looking at the side skirts the car is non M Sport, with M bumper added, just curious what is you rear bumper like, is it standard or M Sport., this would point to after market install or not.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Yes you could easily pass that off as said before, it's quite common and essentially the same cost to replace.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
youngs

Just talked to insurance , and he can only replace it to original non-m bumper. so maybe I should tell to the bodyshop to fix the aftermarket bumper. Thank you all I will keep you guys posted.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Just tell them that was an option the factory and it isn't recorded on the VIN.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
youngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Just tell them that was an option the factory and it isn't recorded on the VIN.
is it possible to have any option no implied to VIN? they said they already check by the VIN and the bumper isn't included in any of the package I have.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
I
Quote:
Just talked to insurance , and he can only replace it to original non-m bumper. so maybe I should tell to the bodyshop to fix the aftermarket bumper. Thank you all I will keep you guys posted.
Tell the body shop you want the m tech II bumper.
Do all the leg work for them by providing the exact bumper with links, and phone numbers for the supplier. Chances are the Body Shop will make a bit more money off the part, depending on how much your insurance allocates to the new bumper.... likely it will be the same or even less money for the aftermarket MT2 bumper...so the shop wins and you win.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 11-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
Cant you just cash out claim, and take it to the body shop yourself? You can just buy another bumper.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
speaking of which, does OEM ZHP fit 325i sedans without modding?
i've got a friend at an insurance accredited body shop and was wondering, in the future if my front bumper gets damaged can i have them order oem ZHP and swap on as replacement?
he states if it's OEM to the series/make he has no problem doing it.
would rather do this then rep m-tech II

Last edited by Mr_325; 11-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
Sedan bumper will work, but not easily. Probably best to buy an OEM coupe one.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
It is an M-tech II, your insurance will know if it was a replica or a real one.
A real one is about $700 from BMW, a replica is about $120 from a number of sponsors right on this forum.
That bumper for the front and rear are specific to the ZHP performance package which would come up in a VIN search.
Whomever had the car before you added the side M3 mirrors as well as the trunk spoiler so I assume the bumper was an add on as well, also I don't believe the OEM bumper has side markers on it.
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
is it possible to have any option no implied to VIN? they said they already check by the VIN and the bumper isn't included in any of the package I have.
Yeah, a few. Wheels come to mind. When you order specific factory wheels with a car, the VIN does not say anything about them.

The M-Tech II bumper and regular bumper are going to be a negligible cost difference to the insurance company, so just try for it. And if they won't do it, tell them you want aftermarket and show them the $120 one. I'm sure they'd be happy to make an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalicious View Post
Whomever had the car before you added the side M3 mirrors as well as the trunk spoiler so I assume the bumper was an add on as well, also I don't believe the OEM bumper has side markers on it.
It does, and they are a fugly amber I can't wait to get white ones.

Last edited by Zell; 11-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #19
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElrichMeister View Post
Cant you just cash out claim, and take it to the body shop yourself? You can just buy another bumper.
This.

You are entitled, as a paying customer of insurance, to obtain the check from the insurance company for the repair and go where ever you want to get it fixed. Remember YOU are the one that is insured, not the autobody company. Your car has been damaged. You can chose to do the work yourself if you want, so you can get the check cut to you.

You should go to at least 2, if not 3 shops and get estimates for the repair from all the shops. File the estimate that most suites you (without totaling the car) to the insurance company. Ask them to cut you a check for the repair. Go to the repair shop of your choosing and give them the parts list for the OEM MTech II bumper and let them fit and paint to match your car. Chances are you may come out slightly ahead. Note this is NOT fraud, it's how the system works.

If you want to know who the shops are that charge the most for their work go to your local autobody supply shop (yellow pages - too many hits on the internet) and ask who does the best work. Get your estimates from those shops. The autobody supply shops are kind of like a wholesale paint and body shop supply depot for the local autobody shops.

GL

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
This.

You are entitled, as a paying customer of insurance, to obtain the check from the insurance company for the repair and go where ever you want to get it fixed. Remember YOU are the one that is insured, not the autobody company. Your car has been damaged. You can chose to do the work yourself if you want, so you can get the check cut to you.

You should go to at least 2, if not 3 shops and get estimates for the repair from all the shops. File the estimate that most suites you (without totaling the car) to the insurance company. Ask them to cut you a check for the repair. Go to the repair shop of your choosing and give them the parts list for the OEM MTech II bumper and let them fit and paint to match your car. Chances are you may come out slightly ahead. Note this is NOT fraud, it's how the system works.

If you want to know who the shops are that charge the most for their work go to your local autobody supply shop (yellow pages - too many hits on the internet) and ask who does the best work. Get your estimates from those shops. The autobody supply shops are kind of like a wholesale paint and body shop supply depot for the local autobody shops.

GL
This is be varying degrees of incorrect, based on the state you're in and the company you're dealing with, for reasons I'm not going to go into because I've had too much to drink and I'm on my phone.