E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
Sankekur

My Ride: 2004 330i
Fitted some new discs on saterday until I get bigger discs that fits.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
sankekur, what 17" wheels did you have trouble fitting? Were they the style 68's like in your signature picture?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #23
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Subscribing, BMW Performance calipers on a red car would look like a rolling McD's. Why couldn't they have just made them grey like the 135i's *rolls eyes*...

EDIT: I've been googling and have found kits REALLY reasonable, but unfortunately most have already sold. I think I'm going to attempt this upgrade, just need to search from time to time and hopefully snag a good deal...

I hope the OP finds a way to mount the rear calipers, keep us updated!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 02-05-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #24
moranor

My Ride: 323i
still think you should get a spacer made that fits between the 135 disk and the e46 hub so they clear the hub
moranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
Is there any negative effects to running the kit without the new carrier? I'm using the carrier that came on my BMW perf. "bbk" and everything works fine. ECS told me the pads are off the rotor by 3 mm and may cause rapid brake pad wear (which I don't care about since they are OEM pads and I don't want them) but they also said it may cause hot spotting on the rotors. Anything else that can happen? What exactly is hot spotting anyway

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
Imola.ZHP

Hot spotting on my less than 18 month (and really not that very many mile) old Brembo "blanks." They pulse like a biotch and need to go...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Hot spotting on my less than 18 month (and really not that very many mile) old Brembo "blanks." They pulse like a biotch and need to go...
Pick up the kit!
It doesn't look that Mc.D's!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Anything new on the rear brakes?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #29
Imola.ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
Pick up the kit!
It doesn't look that Mc.D's!
Not feeling it, plus the 135i sets I found (unfortunately already sold) were quite a bit less and included the rears (hopefully someone will figure out how to us them)...

But thanks for the pic, its not too bad, but I still don't like it...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #30
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankekur View Post
Fitted some new discs on saterday until I get bigger discs that fits.
[IMGp://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae291/Sankekur/My%20330i/135i%20brakes/Fitment/DSCN3071copy.jpg[/IMG]
congrats; they look good. Did you custom make a caliper bracket?
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #31
Imola.ZHP

I've sourced some front calipers for $450! 15k miles, no track time!

OP, two questions please!

1) Did you have a machine shop make you some mounting brackets?

2) Did you just put them on your OEM disc's first before swapping on some new disc's? What are your plans for bigger disc's? Will 135i discs bolt right up? My disc's are what is bad, I figured I should go ahead and upgrade the calipers as well, hoping for a little extra stopping power. I have a hunch that my heavier 19" wheels are what sped up the demise of the disc's I currently have. I'll probably go slotted to hopefully get away from hot-spotting...

Thanks so much!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus

Last edited by Imola.ZHP; 02-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #32
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
The calipers will bolt right up with the bracket that comes with them. That is how my kit is currently set up. I guess only very little of the pad does not currently touch the rotor when the brakes are depressed. This is something that I will fix (I have the ECS brackets) eventually but I just wanted to give you a heads up that they will still work and bolt up just fine.

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
Sankekur

Crap, sorry for not replying guys.....

-Yup if was the style 68's that interfered with the callipers if the calliper was just a little bit more to the inside of the car or the offset of the wheels a little more to the outside it would have worked no problems (like 1 mm)

-I have not experienced any problems so far with the pads overlapping the discs a bit, this includes a couple of time braking from 200+ km/h, though I would think with sustained punishment this is not a good idea, but I am not putting the car on the track so I don't think it is a problem.

-Mounting brackets are the standard ones that came with the callipers.

-I first mounted them on the OEM discs just to test the concept and to see if everything is working, then the next day I got a set of new discs. This was only because the old discs had a bit of a ridge in them so this ridge was wearing into the pads.

Though I am still looking to source a set of bigger discs so that there is no overlap, but have not had much luck so far.

Hope I answered everything

[hr]
Edit: Don't think I posted this here:
Fitment of the rear callipers:

The big problem is the discs, the offset of the rotor is just to far to the outside of the car for proper fitment to be possible, but have a possible lead on OEM discs that might just work, just need to get some used ones to test fit.

Last edited by Sankekur; 03-25-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Sankekur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #34
moranor

sank i dont know why i did not think of this earlier, but for the rear cant you make a spacer that fits between the calliper and the hub to get the calliper to align with the original disk?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #35
Imola.ZHP

So a machine shop needs to mill off about 1mm on the front to push the calipers towards the car and the rears need spacers to push them out, and 135i sized disc's are needed?

I ended up going ahead and putting new zimmerman discs on this past Friday because my front brakes were getting really bad. I'd still like to do this mod down the road though for some better braking power...

Keep us posted please!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
Sankekur

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranor View Post
sank i dont know why i did not think of this earlier, but for the rear cant you make a spacer that fits between the calliper and the hub to get the calliper to align with the original disk?
The problem is that the opening of the calliper is smaller than the spacing between the outside face of the disc and the inside most part of the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
So a machine shop needs to mill off about 1mm on the front to push the calipers towards the car and the rears need spacers to push them out, and 135i sized disc's are needed?

I ended up going ahead and putting new zimmerman discs on this past Friday because my front brakes were getting really bad. I'd still like to do this mod down the road though for some better braking power...

Keep us posted please!
Yeah pretty much, though I would want to say it too definitely as this was just my estimation when test fitting the wheel. (Personally I would rather just space the wheel out a little bit as the ET47 offset of the OEM front wheels can do with being a bit more aggressive)

As for the rears it is not as simple as that as the disc surface is offset to the outside on the hub so this forces to calliper to want to sit out further but this is not possible as it cannot slide in deep enough like this due to the bit of hub that sticks out at the back. (Sorry not a very good explanation, but it is hard to describe)

Hopefully these pics help a bit:
The calliper pistons are pushed back as far as they can and the outside one is right up against the disc (photo taken from the top)

The interference at the back:

In both of these the calliper is sitting right up against the disc on the outside so cannot be pushed in further, which is needed for it to clear the ridge at the back.
I guess if you have this ridge machined off and fit spacers you can make the calliper work with spacers, but the big problem with this is that will be losing part of the handbrake drum.

So what you need is a disc that has the same drum dimensions, but has the disc sit right at the back of the drum and on not offset to the outside like the 330i ones.

Now I think I have found a OEM disc that might work but i need test before posting anything ( and this is dependent on me finding a cheap second hand one, as I don't want to go waste money on a brand new one if I don't know whether it will work properly).

Also got a reply from a local supplier (here in SA) today for larger discs but in the same offset as the standard ones, so will probably know by the weekend whether they will work for my application.

Last edited by Sankekur; 03-26-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Sankekur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 AM   #37
moranor

think i remember seeing this pic before now... there goes the spacer idea
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #38
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Bump, any updates on getting the rears to work? I am very interested in this.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #39
Sankekur

Well here is some thread necromancy of note.
(I blame laziness, procrastination and spending more money and time than I should have on my 540i/6 project car)

But it is finally update time.

Aaaand the rear calipers are on:

(I have also decide to go the BMW performance caliper route since my last update)

The basics that you will need to do this:
-A set of BMW performance rear calipers (or 135i rear calipers).
-A set of e46 M3 rear discs.
-A set of brake lines that are slightly longer than the standard ones

Far be it from calling this a DIY....as I don't have nearly enough in progress pics to call it a DIY.
So first off the e46 M3 discs have the same size handbrake brake drum as the standard 330i disc, so with regards to the handbrake at least they are a straight fit. However to do this on a non-330i you will first have to change your handbrake to the 330i or the M3 version, or run the car without a handbrake (not recommended). Not sure what exactly is involved with this, but I am sure someone will have posted info regarding this.
The M3 disc has an offset more towards the inside of the car, so this fixes the offset problem of the standard 330i discs.
Due to this difference in the offset the M3 disc do not work with the standard dust covers....so they either have to be replaced with M3 ones or the standard ones have to be modified. Seeing as the whole hub has to come out to remove the dust cover. I opted for the latter. The modification can be done in different ways, either the outside ridge can be cut off, this way the dust cover will be slightly smaller than the disc. The outside ridge can also be bent or mangled out of the way with pliers and a hammer.
This is how I modified the dust covers:

I cut from the outside into the dust cover up to the point where it flattens out. I did this in smallish segments all the way round outside of the cover to be able to bend back more easily.

Afterwards I have the outside a spray with some black paint just to hide where it was cut and to help prevent rust. The paint should be enough for rust prevention where I live but if you live where it snows or close to the coast you might have to take some proper rust prevention steps.

Test fit the discs and look at the back to make sure that it clears the cover:

When disconnecting the old calipers it is best to disconnect them where the rubber hose connects to the hard line. Reason being the standard rubber brake hose is to short so cannot be used. And the fitting at the caliper is too long so it does not allow a small bend radius (this being part of the fitment problem). Best would be to have a brake line made up with a 90 degree fitting at the caliper end.

With the brake lines in place it is just a matter of fitting the calipers and installing brake pads and bleeding the brakes. It is also a good idea to flush the brake fluid while you have the calipers off.
One thing that should be noted on the calipers is that as standard they mount to the front of the discs whereas on the e46 they mount to the rear of the disc....so the left hand one should be mounted on the right and the right hand one on the left. The short of it is they should just be mounted with the bleed screw on top, else you will not be able to bleed the brakes.

And that is pretty much all there is to it.

Some more fitment pics:

Some other things that can be considered is to have a machine shop cut 2 or so mm off the radius of the M3 discs, as the pad does not make contacts with that portion of the disc. This will also give more clearance between the disc and the calipers. Also the the rear discs from an e60 530i can also be considered...not 100% sure but they might also work.

I hope this is of help, if anything is unclear please feel free to ask or PM me, and I will do my best to help.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #40
kakashi_sensi

My Ride: 01 e46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankekur View Post
Well here is some thread necromancy of note.
(I blame laziness, procrastination and spending more money and time than I should have on my 540i/6 project car)

But it is finally update time.

Aaaand the rear calipers are on:

(I have also decide to go the BMW performance caliper route since my last update)

The basics that you will need to do this:
-A set of BMW performance rear calipers (or 135i rear calipers).
-A set of e46 M3 rear discs.
-A set of brake lines that are slightly longer than the standard ones

Far be it from calling this a DIY....as I don't have nearly enough in progress pics to call it a DIY.
So first off the e46 M3 discs have the same size handbrake brake drum as the standard 330i disc, so with regards to the handbrake at least they are a straight fit. However to do this on a non-330i you will first have to change your handbrake to the 330i or the M3 version, or run the car without a handbrake (not recommended). Not sure what exactly is involved with this, but I am sure someone will have posted info regarding this.
The M3 disc has an offset more towards the inside of the car, so this fixes the offset problem of the standard 330i discs.
Due to this difference in the offset the M3 disc do not work with the standard dust covers....so they either have to be replaced with M3 ones or the standard ones have to be modified. Seeing as the whole hub has to come out to remove the dust cover. I opted for the latter. The modification can be done in different ways, either the outside ridge can be cut off, this way the dust cover will be slightly smaller than the disc. The outside ridge can also be bent or mangled out of the way with pliers and a hammer.
This is how I modified the dust covers:

I cut from the outside into the dust cover up to the point where it flattens out. I did this in smallish segments all the way round outside of the cover to be able to bend back more easily.

Afterwards I have the outside a spray with some black paint just to hide where it was cut and to help prevent rust. The paint should be enough for rust prevention where I live but if you live where it snows or close to the coast you might have to take some proper rust prevention steps.

Test fit the discs and look at the back to make sure that it clears the cover:

When disconnecting the old calipers it is best to disconnect them where the rubber hose connects to the hard line. Reason being the standard rubber brake hose is to short so cannot be used. And the fitting at the caliper is too long so it does not allow a small bend radius (this being part of the fitment problem). Best would be to have a brake line made up with a 90 degree fitting at the caliper end.

With the brake lines in place it is just a matter of fitting the calipers and installing brake pads and bleeding the brakes. It is also a good idea to flush the brake fluid while you have the calipers off.
One thing that should be noted on the calipers is that as standard they mount to the front of the discs whereas on the e46 they mount to the rear of the disc....so the left hand one should be mounted on the right and the right hand one on the left. The short of it is they should just be mounted with the bleed screw on top, else you will not be able to bleed the brakes.

And that is pretty much all there is to it.

Some more fitment pics:

Some other things that can be considered is to have a machine shop cut 2 or so mm off the radius of the M3 discs, as the pad does not make contacts with that portion of the disc. This will also give more clearance between the disc and the calipers. Also the the rear discs from an e60 530i can also be considered...not 100% sure but they might also work.

I hope this is of help, if anything is unclear please feel free to ask or PM me, and I will do my best to help.
WOW, I have never seen this before and I have always wondered what it would take to get this setup!!! So you basically need M3 rotors? What about the oem performance rotors? Will those fit??

Damn they look nice.

LEVELONE // Euro.Techniks // OEM BMW Performance
kakashi_sensi is offline   Reply With Quote