E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Maruk

My Ride: 328I
Need help with ABS sensors

Hi everyone, I am maruk I drive 2000-3281 Black I hope I can solve some intermittent problem with my car, Thank you all.

Last edited by Solidjake; 10-11-2015 at 04:57 AM.
Maruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Maruk, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Welcome
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Maruk

Problem with DSC light only

I scanned the problem and it indicated both pressure sensors to be bad, the light only comes on when it is hot. Do I have to remove the Master cylinder to change the sensors, there seems to be very little area to work with. Does any one have a an easy way to do this? Thank for any help.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Alikessu

My Ride: 2006 330Ci ZHP
welcome to the forum, I am sure some of the older members will help you out. I am a new member as well

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Alikessu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Which pressure sensors are you referring to? Please post the exact codes that you got.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
Brenglish

My Ride: LSB E46 M3
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Maruk

Thanks for the replies,my scanner is P.A. Soft pointed under ABS code A6 [166] Pressure sensor 2 electrical failure, also A5[166] Pressure sensor 1 electrical failure. I also took the car to the dealer to scan the problem of DSC light on said the same thing and did not give me any codes. I ave bought the sensors, I am going to replace them all I want is some guidance to do this the easy way, I watched this guy on Youtube replacing MC and the assist module and he took the old sensors off the old MC and put it on the new one. it did not seem to be an easy job. Any help is appricaed.

Last edited by Maruk; 10-11-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #9
Maruk

thank you Solidjake, I just wanted some guidance to how to go about replacing the two sensor I am pretty sure they are bad.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Maruk

DSC sensors

I did replace the two sensors with Ate new sensors the one that came out were Ate also, job was messy even if you are careful. I think I have Air in the system.
I would like to know if PA Soft 1.4 can activate the ABS/DSC modules to get ride of the trapped air or I have to get INPA software with the K+DCAN USB Cable to do this.

Last edited by Maruk; 10-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Bim3Por911

My Ride: 328i & 911T
I have PA Soft 1.4 and I don't believe you can use it activate the ABS/DSC controller. INPA / EDIABAS software is available on eBay and is capable of activating the controller. The supplier claims that for e46 cars of this vintage, a straight serial cable works best with the software he sells. Try finding a laptop computer that still has a serial connection. I had to buy one on eBay and rebuild it. I believe the seller is based in Germany. Have you tried a power bleeder? It applies pressure to the master cylinder and then forces fluid through the system. That may solve your problem.

I will likely face the same job you just did next spring. The fault only happens for me when the temperature stays above 70°F. I live in the northeast and with winter approaching, I probably won't see a DSC malfunction again until next spring. Did you partially depress the brake pedal with a stick or bracket when you did the sensor replacement? That supposedly stops fluid from draining from your master cylinder. I should have remembered this when I replaced one of my calipers. What a mess otherwise.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Maruk

Thanks for the info Bim3Por911 I changed the sensors what a pits no matter how careful you are brake fluid gets all over. Yes I do have a power bleeder and I did that its a lot of work trying to get the power bleeder to build enough pressure for each wheel, I had to release pressure each time to fill the brake reservoir. Now I need to test drive it to see if the DSC light is gone. Do you have a link for INPa/ediabas package to purchase just in case I need to do the bleeding again. Thanks again.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Bim3Por911

I have had the INPA software on my eBay watch list for a long time. Find it here. You many need to get an adapter for the round underhood connector depending on the age of your e46. Mine is a 9/99 build so I still have the round connector on the passenger side just ahead of the ABS controller. Later e46s did away with that connector and only have the under dash one. You'll need to see what you have and then come up with the right combination of cables to attach your laptop.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Maruk

Bim3Por911 I need to know all I need to order an INPA software and cable, I know there are many others selling on e-bay stuff from china, Please give me detail all I need to buy. I must say I took my 2000 328I for a spin brakes worked fine and no DSC light which made me happy, I still want to get the INPA to go over another Bleeding by activating DSC/ABS modules. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #15
Bim3Por911

Contact the person selling the INPA software in the link in my previous post. Look for the text: "Find it here". He's from Germany so the software in not likely from China. He says in his ad that he can help you with cables - contact him. If your car has the round 20 pin under-hood connector you can easily find an adapter to an OBD II connector. You can also find a 9 pin serial to OBD II connector and then mate the two cables so that you can connect a laptop with a serial port to the 20 pin round under-hood connector. That should be all you'll need. If you have P.A. Soft with the USB adapter, that may work too.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #16
BMW-North

My Ride: e83, e46x4, e90,A4b7
You can get the correct INPA sw in my thread about replacing the dsc 5.7 abs and recoding it using NCS expert. Here: start at post 8 & 9. Will work for all e46 abs versions 2wd and awd.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=16775965

I would also agree that the 9 pin serial ediabas (INPA) cable has been the most reliable for me over a long period. Trouble is finding a pc or laptop that has still has one. I also maintain an sp2 version of Xp on one pc for the above linked version of BMW Standard Tools as this has also been the most stable.

I think the serial ediabas cable is on eBay for about $19.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Bosch Fan Module: options using Volvo, Mazda & Ford

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
BMW Standard tools Part 1
BMW Standard tools Part 2
BMW Standard tools Part 3

Last edited by BMW-North; 10-21-2015 at 10:21 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Bim3Por911

My recommendation for an older laptop is a Dell Precision M50 or M60. It's got the RAM and HD capacity required and has a serial port. I have one with XP SP2 and intend to keep it that way. It dates from about 2004. Since Microsoft no longer supports XP it's best to keep such a system off the internet as much as possible and use it almost solely for automotive work.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:47 PM   #18
cgj

My Ride: 2006 325CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim3Por911 View Post
I have PA Soft 1.4 and I don't believe you can use it activate the ABS/DSC controller. INPA / EDIABAS software is available on eBay and is capable of activating the controller. The supplier claims that for e46 cars of this vintage, a straight serial cable works best with the software he sells. Try finding a laptop computer that still has a serial connection. I had to buy one on eBay and rebuild it. I believe the seller is based in Germany. Have you tried a power bleeder? It applies pressure to the master cylinder and then forces fluid through the system. That may solve your problem.

I will likely face the same job you just did next spring. The fault only happens for me when the temperature stays above 70°F. I live in the northeast and with winter approaching, I probably won't see a DSC malfunction again until next spring. Did you partially depress the brake pedal with a stick or bracket when you did the sensor replacement? That supposedly stops fluid from draining from your master cylinder. I should have remembered this when I replaced one of my calipers. What a mess otherwise.

I have encountered the same problem. It only occurs during warm weathe Hasn't occurred since last fall and with the warmer weather in the northeast this week, the light popped on again today. Does anyone know why/how this is affected by temperature?
cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #19
Maruk

Pressure sensers

I have replaced both sensors and had no more problem with the DSC light coming
on. As far as heat I live in southern California and it get hot some times it is over 100 degrees F. Many problems in my 2000 E46 328i show up when car gets hot that is the electronic stuff was built for cooler weather I believe. One exception to this is my vanos seal act up when car is cold, car runs o.k. after warm up. I am going to replace these seals as the weather warms up. The symptom I have is the rpm drops every few second until engine warms up. I have 129K mikes with factory seals and I replace oil every 7500 interval. Finally I want to thank all you guys for your help and suggestions.