E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #21
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
I run drilled and slotted rotors by StopTech and PosiQuoet Pads, and mine only squeak when their cold on early winter mornings. Other than that, no problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
ImSoFreaknWhite

My Ride: '06 M3 SMG VERT
Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
I run drilled and slotted rotors by StopTech and PosiQuoet Pads, and mine only squeak when their cold on early winter mornings. Other than that, no problems.
Do you remember what you paid for just the PosiQuoet pads?

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk
ImSoFreaknWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoFreaknWhite View Post
I just had those, they look dumb
DING DING DING! We have a winner for the "Brakes need to look cool, its alright if they don't work as long as they look cool" competition. Why would you install old brakes anyway? The whole point of brake work is to newify your brake system, and have better stopping power. This reminds me of the qutoe someone said here, More or less it was: As our luxury European cars gain age, what used to be crafted by world class engineers, is now being modified by high school morons.
PS. Any picture with your middle finger up, says nothing but "UnderAged."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
aahmed2016

Just saying, I'm running slotted rotors, and akebono dustless. the OEM pads were driving me insane.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Stock BMW pads shouldn't squeak. Now if you have some aggressive track pads then yes, they'll make tons of noise until they are heated up.

You're quiet pads will be your street pads (even some street performance pads); Hawk HPS, Akebono Euro Ceramic, EBC RedStuffs, Mintex Red Box, and the like will be quiet during normal operation. If you need new pads, HERE is a link to my pads.

Due the the fact you bought used rotors, something to think about is usable thickness. When the rotors wear down they become too thin and are no longer fit for use, the minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor hat.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!

Last edited by ECSTuning; 11-01-2012 at 04:27 PM.
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #26
ImSoFreaknWhite

Send a message via ICQ to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via AIM to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Yahoo to ImSoFreaknWhite Send a message via Skype™ to ImSoFreaknWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
DING DING DING! We have a winner for the "Brakes need to look cool, its alright if they don't work as long as they look cool" competition. Why would you install old brakes anyway? The whole point of brake work is to newify your brake system, and have better stopping power. This reminds me of the qutoe someone said here, More or less it was: As our luxury European cars gain age, what used to be crafted by world class engineers, is now being modified by high school morons.
PS. Any picture with your middle finger up, says nothing but "UnderAged."
You drive a 325i, settle down bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Stock BMW pads shouldn't squeak. Now if you have some aggressive track pads then yes, they'll make tons of noise until they are heated up.

You're quiet pads will be your street pads (even some street performance pads); Hawk HPS, Akebono Euro Ceramic, EBC RedStuffs, Mintex Red Box, and the like will be quiet during normal operation. If you need new pads, HERE is a link to my pads.

Due the the fact you bought used rotors, something to think about is usable thickness. When the rotors wear down they become too thin and are no longer fit for use, the minimum thickness should be stamped on the rotor hat.
Thank you! ok so if I get any of those "street pads" then that should eliminate the squealing that im having? And ill look into the rotor hat. Thanks again for the info and the link for the products.

My Build Thread

l Status Gruppe One-Piece Lip l Anodized CCW Classics w/ Polished Lips l Black Grills/Gills & Emblems l Carbon Fiber Roundels
Status Rear Section l K&N 57 Series CA Intake l OEM JB Hardtop l TM Drilled/Slotted Rotors l D2 Coilovers w/Camber Plates l VIS CSL VERT Trunk

Last edited by ImSoFreaknWhite; 11-02-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #27
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
The pads need to get hot enough to re-deposit on the rotor. You only need to turn them if they have too much surface deviation, as long as there are no grooves. Sometimes if I need to bed pads on a used rotor I give it a good brush with abrasive scotch brite just enough to scratch the surface up and break up the old surface coating.

My usual drill is to drive down a mile of steep hill riding the brake and holding the power on. (no speed really required.) or It takes me about 2 hot laps at the track to bed race pads. (6 miles ish) You need to get them hot, then cool them off, don't let the car sit keep moving, if at all possible don't apply the brakes for 10 minutes. This allows the coating from the pads to bond to the rotor. If you park a car with hot brakes (Track hot) it can warp the rotors.

BTW most high performance track level pads will squeak when cold.

My personel opinion many will differ: For normal driving Slotted/drilled rotors don't change stopping distance in most cases, they are better on track when you need more gas relief to keep the out-gassing from the pad from floating the pad off the brake rotor surface. I wont even use drilled rotors on track on the cars I maintain. Too many broken cars from cracked rotors. Porsche Brembo rotors are the best out there and they still crack. Slots work without the cracking issues.

I swap out from race to street pads on my play car all the time, I only swap rotors when they develop checking (micro cracking on the surface) or when they measure too thin.

BTW good high performance pads are about 200 bucks.. Good street pads about 100.. give or take and how hard you shop..

Cheers
Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
aahmed2016

Calmed down a bit, and back to be helpful. Sorry if I offended you, but y'know. Anyway, since you ARE going to do a pad swap, I would suggest you get Akebono dustless, or just go to a parts shop, and get the highest quality pads there. They come with the pads and some anti squeak. pretty much squirt some on your finger, and rub it onto the BACK of the bad, like the part that doesn't touch the rotor. You should be squeakless. LOL I haven't wrote the word squeak in so long i forgot how to spell it. YMMV, but good luck.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
ECSTuning
Sponsor

Jordan - quick question when you work the brakes hard and heat them up does the squealing you're hearing go away? Just trying to figure out if instead of stock pad you tossed in some aggressive track pads my mistake.

And to answer you're question, if the squeal is in fact due to you have some seriously aggressive pads on the car then yes switching to a more street friendly pad will quiet the squealing.

Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
ImSoFreaknWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
The pads need to get hot enough to re-deposit on the rotor. You only need to turn them if they have too much surface deviation, as long as there are no grooves. Sometimes if I need to bed pads on a used rotor I give it a good brush with abrasive scotch brite just enough to scratch the surface up and break up the old surface coating.

My usual drill is to drive down a mile of steep hill riding the brake and holding the power on. (no speed really required.) or It takes me about 2 hot laps at the track to bed race pads. (6 miles ish) You need to get them hot, then cool them off, don't let the car sit keep moving, if at all possible don't apply the brakes for 10 minutes. This allows the coating from the pads to bond to the rotor. If you park a car with hot brakes (Track hot) it can warp the rotors.

BTW most high performance track level pads will squeak when cold.

My personel opinion many will differ: For normal driving Slotted/drilled rotors don't change stopping distance in most cases, they are better on track when you need more gas relief to keep the out-gassing from the pad from floating the pad off the brake rotor surface. I wont even use drilled rotors on track on the cars I maintain. Too many broken cars from cracked rotors. Porsche Brembo rotors are the best out there and they still crack. Slots work without the cracking issues.

I swap out from race to street pads on my play car all the time, I only swap rotors when they develop checking (micro cracking on the surface) or when they measure too thin.

BTW good high performance pads are about 200 bucks.. Good street pads about 100.. give or take and how hard you shop..

Cheers
Dave
Thanks for the information Dave, the link that the ECS tuning guy gave me has a set of front and rear pads for like $140. I think im going with those and see how they do. I also just picked up a bit of anti squeal from pepboys and ill put that on there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Calmed down a bit, and back to be helpful. Sorry if I offended you, but y'know. Anyway, since you ARE going to do a pad swap, I would suggest you get Akebono dustless, or just go to a parts shop, and get the highest quality pads there. They come with the pads and some anti squeak. pretty much squirt some on your finger, and rub it onto the BACK of the bad, like the part that doesn't touch the rotor. You should be squeakless. LOL I haven't wrote the word squeak in so long i forgot how to spell it. YMMV, but good luck.
Not offended just shocked that you went off out of nowhere. It was odd, but all is fine! And ya the link that I was looking at are the Akebono euro ceramic! I think im going to try those out. I got the anti squeal and ill put some on like you said to hopefully eliminate the sound.

Quote:
Jordan - quick question when you work the brakes hard and heat them up does the squealing you're hearing go away? Just trying to figure out if instead of stock pad you tossed in some aggressive track pads my mistake.

And to answer you're question, if the squeal is in fact due to you have some seriously aggressive pads on the car then yes switching to a more street friendly pad will quiet the squealing.
Its usually under hard braking that the squeal will come out. Light breaking for a longer period of time doesn't make the noise. I think I had the stock pads, unless the previous owner put on aftermarket pads with stock rotors

My Build Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
ECSTuning
Sponsor

Humm... have you tried to re-bedded the pads? LINK to our pdf that talks about how to do that.

Stock pads shouldn't be squealing under heavy braking. Fading maybe, squealing not so much.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #32
ImSoFreaknWhite

Quote:
Humm... have you tried to re-bedded the pads? LINK to our pdf that talks about how to do that.

Stock pads shouldn't be squealing under heavy braking. Fading maybe, squealing not so much.
Should I do that now? or after the new pads and anti squeal is on?

My Build Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
ECSTuning
Sponsor

If the pads have never been bedded with the rotors you can get some squealing. I'd do it with the current setup and see if that quiets your brakes down.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
ImSoFreaknWhite

Quote:
If the pads have never been bedded with the rotors you can get some squealing. I'd do it with the current setup and see if that quiets your brakes down.
alright I'm going to do it this weekend! thanks again

My Build Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohem4e View Post
First you need to turn the rotors (or resurface them) after that you install new pads and fallow the proper brake in procedure in order to bed in the brakes as you should... old rotors with old pads... I am surprised the car even stops...
Don't turn rotors that you'll use on the track fyi, less material+increased heat from high speed braking/frequent braking = bad news pretty quick. It will increase heat fade and can collect pad material build up more easily. I destroyed my oem rotors with just Hawk hp+ pads after turning them. I know this thread has been old for a while but figured I'd throw that out there for the ages in case future searchs for Porterfield pads like I did come up again.

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #36
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSoFreaknWhite View Post
Do you remember what you paid for just the PosiQuoet pads?
no idea. i got a sweet package deal from ICONZ when they were around.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
I recommend ECS Slotted Rotors with PFC Z-Rated Pads. I have it all around my car and am very happy. Topbrakes.com has the pads at a decent price.

Last edited by Whammy; 03-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
no idea. i got a sweet package deal from ICONZ when they were around.
Your Iconz Kit was BimmerBrakes Kit...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #39
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
OP, likes midget porn.