E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Smile Hello From Illinois. Here's My New Used 2001 325xi

Hello everyone, just joined the BMW family yesterday. So far it's the best self-birthday present I've ever given myself. The only downside was waiting at the d.m.v. for a few hours after buying the car.

I purchased a 2001 325XI from a local private seller in Illinois. Paid only $4,100. It has 164,000 miles. The owner had all service records, etc. and kept her well maintained. All the token issues I've seen with these cars were already fixed by him at a dealership.

The only downside was he didn't detail before he sold it so I knocked the price down a bit.

Here's one picture. I'll upload more pics after getting it detailed.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 10-24-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Zardoz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
wvBimmer3Series

My Ride: '92 318ic, '01 325xi
Looks great & sounds like you got a good deal! We just picked up our '01 325xi on Sept. 1st, love the Bimmers...
wvBimmer3Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Good price man, nice that the owner had all of the records.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Zardoz33

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, a couple issues started this evening. Aaaaaand here we go. lol I now have this exact sound in my engine bay:

There seems to be a crack somewhere in the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. I decided to fill it up about 3/4 of the way (it was less than 1/2 before) and the fluid just came right out of the bottom of the car very quickly.

Lastly, I also noticed power steering fluid leaking from the engine bay reservoir. I'll take off the cap tomorrow and see if the fluid is moving around.

There are a couple reputable BWM mechanic shops in my general area, so I'll be taking her in sometime this week.

I spent around $200 already for small replacement parts, air filter, rear license plate bracket, l.e.d. taillights, etc. but I'm going to hold-off on buying anything else for now. The last thing I need is for this to turn into a money pit.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 10-22-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
The sound from the engine bay like that usually ends up being that you need a new idler puller and belt tensioner
Old 10-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Zardoz33

Today, I put the windows down and the rear passenger window didn't want to go back up. Took apart the door panel and yep..............the regulator wire was mangled all over the place. Fantastic. lol
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
wvBimmer3Series

Bummer!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Zardoz33

'Eh it's alright, just a tad frustrating. It's ironic how earlier the same day I made my previous post my uncle said: "I hope it doesn't give you issues because my BMW was a nightmare!" and went on to tell about an hour's worth of horror stories. Then, literally right when I got home and pulled in the driveway is when I heard that idle bely pulley noise & leaking p.s. fluid. I think he jinxed me. lol

My led tails came in today so at least that was some good news. The regulator looks like a very easy fix from the vids I've seen. Under $100 for an non-oem branded one. I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs and somewhat shoddy quality, but honestly I could care less at this point. Better than paying the $240 a local shop quoted me.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 10-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
kennybow

My Ride: 318iase
cool man!
kennybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
'Eh it's alright, just a tad frustrating. It's ironic how earlier the same day I made my previous post my uncle said: "I hope it doesn't give you issues because my BMW was a nightmare!" and went on to tell about an hour's worth of horror stories. Then, literally right when I got home and pulled in the driveway is when I heard that idle bely pulley noise & leaking p.s. fluid. I think he jinxed me. lol

My led tails came in today so at least that was some good news. The regulator looks like a very easy fix from the vids I've seen. Under $100 for an non-oem branded one. I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs and somewhat shoddy quality, but honestly I could care less at this point. Better than paying the $240 a local shop quoted me.
I got a window regulator for my driver rear window for $30 off eBay works just fine and was easy to install
Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
I got a window regulator for my driver rear window for $30 off eBay works just fine and was easy to install
Received mine today. Installing it tomorrow.

I went to my local tuner shop today and had them install 4 new tires. Soon as the tech lifted my car up we saw there was a lot of oil all over the plastic bottom car cover. He took it off and there were puddles of oil on the inside of the cover, all over the transfer case (I think that's what it's called) and pretty much all over the underpart of the engine. lol I should have taken a pic for you guys. It was ridiculous.

There was so much damn oil that he couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, but he cleaned everything off. I'll be going back there next week so he can check it out better. The weird thing is, when he checked the oil level it was fine so maybe the idiots where the previous owner had the oil change done overfilled it?

Edit: And searching threads on here makes me thing it's one or more of the following: valve cover gasket, oil filter cap o-ring, ccv and oil filter housing gasket, oil level sensor, drain plug, oil canister mounting gasket or the VANOS Oil Supply Line. Can't wait to have all those looked at.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 10-31-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
jasonsjwou

My Ride: E46, GMC Conversion.
Zardoz33, please keep posting on your journey with your BMW.
I'm looking to buy something similar to yours, and story like this is bit... disheartening.
jasonsjwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsjwou View Post
Zardoz33, please keep posting on your journey with your BMW.
I'm looking to buy something similar to yours, and story like this is bit... disheartening.
I wouldn't take my recent bad luck and weigh it with your own decisions, but yes it has been annoying lately. However, I know better and should have had a place check it out before I made the purchase. I have no one to blame but myself. It's just hilarious in an aggravating way that with each passing week a new problem seems to pop-up with the car.

So now, I think of this as an interesting journey with unknown consequences that I've embarked on (did that b.s. sound good enough? lol)

Last edited by Zardoz33; 10-31-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Welcome
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Welcome!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
Zardoz33

^^^^^ Thanks you two.

One of the wheels was bent so I bought one off eBay. I'm getting the left-outer cv boot replaced next week, then I'll move onto the oil leak issue.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
wvBimmer3Series

I had a nasty oil leak on our '01 xi & yesterday had the oil filter housing gasket replaced so hopefully that did the trick... Keep us updated.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Zardoz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvBimmer3Series View Post
I had a nasty oil leak on our '01 xi & yesterday had the oil filter housing gasket replaced so hopefully that did the trick... Keep us updated.
I already bought spark plugs (previous owner never had them changed), so I figured I'll get the valve cover gasket replaced first. The vcg was replaced last year, but the shop he took it to did not swap-out the spark plug gaskets or the 15 rubber grommets. I'm sure those rubber components are hard as a rock after 164,000+ miles.

I occasionally smell oil in the cabin and there's oil along the front & side of the vgc, but there was so much more oil on the underside of the engine/bottom cover that it's probably something else as well.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
ItzaBitza

My Ride: 328i
Welcome, I'm from Chicago, where in Illinois r u? Wish I had some advise tho I'm not familiar with xi

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Zardoz33

Itza, I'm in the Western Burbs - Darien. Looking at the vehicle's service records: the previous owner would have the dealership give him quotes, then he'd take it to those mom and pop shops to get the work done.....which isn't always the smartest idea.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 11-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.