E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #81
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Verge review for the Nexus 4 came out: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/35...nexus-4-review

Kind of low. 8.3 even though the average comes out to 8.5. They docked it 4 points for the data/call quality category due to lack of LTE. If that's not important to you and you remove the subjective categories of "design" and "ecosystem" as well, the objective categories make this phone a much better choice than the iPhone 5:

*******> ********>*******>********>*******>********>
Display 8 9
Camera 8 8
Performance 10 9
Software 10 8
Battery Life 9 8
AVERAGE SCORE
9 8.4
I don't think you can single some out as not being objective. If it's not a feature you need fine, but it does count. The iPhone did get a better score, although the top fleet of phones is so nice that the differences are pretty minute.

LTE is a big feature and it is disappointing that the Nexus 4 lacks it.

And speaking of fragile phones...

Last edited by Grande D; 11-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #82
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Hmm, so basically, if this had LTE and got those 4 points back, it would have probably scored an 8.8 or 8.9 (9 would be the average, while the iphone 5's average is an 8.75). What a shame... I agree with the reviewer though, it's disappointing that such a highly cloud based OS can't connect to the fastest mobile networks.

What I want to know is how the non-LTE gsm Galaxy Nexus running 4.0 managed to beat it with an 8.6

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #83
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Certainly a bit reluctant to purchase having reading the frailness of the glass. I love my S2's durability, it's incredible... prior to being replaced, I had dropped it 3 times on the corners (getting out the car drop and just being knocked out of my hand on the streets) and the phone just absorbs most of the shock and the only thing that got damaged were the corners it landed on.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #84
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
What I want to know is how the non-LTE gsm Galaxy Nexus running 4.0 managed to beat it with an 8.6

Because that review is old. How did the first iPod get 4 stars from people? Damn thing is only 5 gbs
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #85
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
still wondering why they gave it to LG. those phones havent been good and a lot of their users complain about them

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #86
Tauce says

This is THE phone for T-Mobile. For any other US carrier, it's only for people who want the newest build of Android without going nuts with custom roms and bootloader nonsense. End of story.

Last edited by Tauce says; 11-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #87
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
This is THE phone for T-Mobile. For any other US carrier, it's only for people who want the newest build of Android without going nuts with custom roms and bootloader nonsense. End of story.
not interested enough to research this phone, but due to debate, i know about the s3. why this over s3? (disclaimer: i dont like that phone either, so dont "fanboy" it)

Last edited by Five_seveN; 11-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #88
jeffro3000

Quote:
Because that review is old. How did the first iPod get 4 stars from people? Damn thing is only 5 gbs
So last year the Nexus was better compared to the competition than the new Nexus now is. By 0.3 out of 10.

Their rating system needs shifting down so the mean isn't between 8 and 9 and the variance isn't just some tenths of a point or so for so everything. Everyone in the class can't make an A

Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #89
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
not interested enough to research this phone, but due to debate, i know about the s3. why this over s3? (disclaimer: i dont like that phone either, so dont "fanboy" it)
Because samsung takes their sweet time releasing updates.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #90
Tauce says

Quote:
So last year the Nexus was better compared to the competition than the new Nexus now is. By 0.3 out of 10.

Their rating system needs shifting down so the mean isn't between 8 and 9 and the variance isn't just some tenths of a point or so for so everything. Everyone in the class can't make an A

Because at the time the Galaxy Nexus was being compared to phones running Gingerbread. ICS was quite an improvement.

The Verge and all tech sites rate products against their direct competition. Scores older than a few months aren't valid for a new purchase because the competition has changed.

Last edited by Tauce says; 11-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #91
Grande D

Quote:
Oh, but wait! It would be if it had LTE, but it does not. If it had LTE it'd be killer; other Android device manufacturers would scramble to catch up, and probably be flattened in the process.

Just like the iPad Mini would be devastating to the cheaper-tablet market if it had a Retina display.

Both products will do quite well, but not live up to their hypothetical potential because the manufacturers shot themselves in the foot before they even left the starting gate

Quote:

I suppose that's true. The competition is quite tough right now. Companies are fighting over relatively minor things and no one has a huge leg up.

I don't think their rating system needs changing.

Last edited by Grande D; 11-02-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #92
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
Do you guys really need LTE that much? T-Mobiles speeds aren't that slow, especially if you're just browsing the internet. I'm on Wi-Fi 80% of the time anyway.

Last edited by Stankia; 11-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #93
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
lol...most places don't have LTE, so I don't see that being much of a factor for most users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #94
deafboy

Quote:
The biggest thing for most people would be the promptness of software updates. But the Nexus also has a better screen, in terms size/resolution/more accurate colors. Bigger battery, slightly faster processor, slim HDMI, and wireless charging.

I mostly care about it because of the software. More custom roms are written for it compared to other phones that and just the latest from Google faster.

Quote:
Quote:
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #95
Grande D

Also because it isn't built like crap, as the S3 is, even if the back glass is fragile. It's better looking and will have stout battery life; it's gotta big battery and no LTE to drain it.

Oh so now the Android crew is gunna adopt the who needs LTE argument? Funny how that works...

Last edited by Grande D; 11-02-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #96
deafboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Also because it isn't built like crap, as the S3 is, even if the back glass is fragile. It's better looking and will have stout battery life; it's gotta big battery and no LTE to drain it.

Oh so now the Android crew is gunna adopt the who needs LTE argument? Funny how that works...
Don't take my word as "the Android crew"... just saying I would think for many it's not that big of a deal. Nearest LTE network from me is over an hour away, lol.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #97
jeffro3000

Google apps are out from a 4.2 system dump.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1965895

I've been messing around with the new camera app for awhile now, it's a very nice improvement. Photosphere is really cool, although sometimes it doesn't get things stitched together just right.

Gmail, keyboard, and other stuff is available for flashing too

Old 11-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #98
Five_seveN

not impressed with this "software" argument. stupid reason to go with this phone

Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #99
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
I mostly care about it because of the software. More custom roms are written for it compared to other phones that and just the latest from Google faster.
lol wut, that's what I hated most - all the software seemed half assed in one way or another.

that's why I was switching ROMs atleast once a month

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #100
deafboy

Quote:
not impressed with this "software" argument. stupid reason to go with this phone
For me anyways, the software is more important than certain hardware stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
lol wut, that's what I hated most - all the software seemed half assed in one way or another.

that's why I was switching ROMs atleast once a month
I hate most custom roms, actually, pretty much all of them...but there is certainly better one for the nexus compared to other phones. One reason for the nexus, don't need the damn roms because the updates come so much faster.

Quote:
Quote: