E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Can I replace just one control arm?

I have a bad ball joint outer on drivers side. My question is can I just replace the control arm on the one side for now and re use the inner ball joint and bushing ? I know someone will say you should spend the $600 and replace it all but with Christmas around the corner $180 sounds much better.
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
mkodama

Yes, you can replace just one control arm. The ball joints are integrated; don't reuse them.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Yes. But you can't reuse the stock bushing. Buy one arm and powerflex fcabs.

Last edited by Kubica; 11-03-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Arnezie

How essential is a press to remove the bushing? I don't have one
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
How essential is a press to remove the bushing? I don't have one
You don't replace any bushings. They are all preinstalled into the control arm so that you don't have to use a press, and would likely be damaged if you did try to reinstall.

If you are talking about extracting the threaded end of the ball joints from the subframe and spindle, then yes, an extracting device is essential for removal and cannot be done without. Do not use a pickle fork, use the screw type extractors.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Arnezie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
You don't replace any bushings. They are all preinstalled into the control arm so that you don't have to use a press, and would likely be damaged if you did try to reinstall.

If you are talking about extracting the threaded end of the ball joints from the subframe and spindle, then yes, an extracting device is essential for removal and cannot be done without. Do not use a pickle fork, use the screw type extractors.
Not the ball joint but the bushing, what do you mean you don't replace any bushings ?
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...9063163e46.htm
Or there are urethane ones , this is what I'm referring to when I say can I remove the control arm from the stock bushing without a press.

Last edited by Arnezie; 11-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
mkodama

Quote:
Not the ball joint but the bushing, what do you mean you don't replace any bushings ?
The ball joints are preinstalled in the new control arm, so you don't replace them.

The rear of the control arm slips into a rubber bushing. That is a separate piece and you can usually just wet with some soapy water and hit it on or off with a soft face mallet.

I hope that answers your question because I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Arnezie

Quote:
The ball joints are preinstalled in the new control arm, so you don't replace them.

The rear of the control arm slips into a rubber bushing. That is a separate piece and you can usually just wet with some soapy water and hit it on or off with a soft face mallet.

I hope that answers your question because I'm having a hard time understanding what you are asking.
Yes I know the ball joint is pre installed in the control arm the control arm then slides into a bushing. I was asking if I had to have a press or will it slide out and new one slide in, read my post again not sure what's not to understand I'm asking a simple ?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
mkodama

I'll repeat the answer. The question is simple but your ability to explain things isn't.

Quote:

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
mkodama

If it's hard to get off, then a 2 jaw puller or a press could be used.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
Arnezie

Quote:
If it's hard to get off, then a 2 jaw puller or a press could be used.
And then I can reuse the original one correct on new control arm
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
I had a hard time removing the bushing from the control arm, its impossible to do it by hand. You will need a puller for that, however i improvised a home made tool because didn't feel like paying 40 bucks for the puller. Or if you remove both control arms you can beat them out with a hammer.

Last edited by e46alfonso; 11-04-2012 at 09:42 AM.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
e46alfonso

Do not buy those oem rubber bushings they are garbage. I wouldn't put them on my car if the dealer installed them for free. Powerflex has made a new bushing now.
Once you have the bushings out take them to your local shop to press them out of the lollypops. My shop removed them in 3 minutes and didn't charge me anything .
Also check out this thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=942053&page=3
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
You CAN NOT re-use the Lower Control Arm Bushing(s). You will have to replace the Bushing with the new Lower Control Arm. I would also recommend you springing for the PowerFlex Urethane Lower Control Arm Bushings, same cost as the stock rubber bushings, last longer, easier to install and are re-useable. Once you get your old control arm off, you can carefully cut the old bushing off without damaging the "lolly-pop" OR you can place in a vise and with a good punch and hammer, slowly work around the old bushing to push it out Will be a bit harder to replace on the other side with the Lower Control Arm still on the car. OR you can opt to purchase the Lower Control Arm, 2 "lolly-pops" and the PowerFlex Urethane Bushing Kit, but you will still have to remove the old bushing from the Lower Control Arm that you are not replacing.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Arnezie

Will it be ok to run the poly bushing on just the drivers side ? Or should I plan on installing the passenger side at the same time. .
Old 11-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
If you go with the PowerFlex Urethane Bushings, you WILL have to change both of them.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Will it be ok to run the poly bushing on just the drivers side ? Or should I plan on installing the passenger side at the same time. .
No.

All fcabs should be changed in pairs, with few exceptions.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Yes. But you can't reuse the stock bushing. Buy one arm and powerflex fcabs.
Or get one arm and OE cabs. The cabs often get damaged when removing them from the control arm.

CAs don't always come with bushings mounted, but you can get them that way. If you do, you really want to get the same bushing as you have on the other side. If you buy the bushings separately, you'll need to slip them on yourself.

But, as said, the ball joints are not serviceable...nor reusable/swappable.

Lemforder is OE, but you'll want to get what you have on the other side...so hopefully you can confirm that they're original and/or figure out what brand is on the other side...this advice I offer just thinking that minor variations from one side to the other would significantly affect handling.

Read lots of diys on control arm replacement before you begin.

GL!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 11-04-2012 at 07:50 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #19
e46alfonso

Dmax, if you had PF bushings in your own car you would recommend them to other people as well. You should try them, it would be the best improvement you've ever done to your car, well second best behind green wheels.