E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Finally joined FI. Initial thoughts & questions

7K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  TKC 
#1 ·
Hi FI forum! I'm glad to finally join in. I just finished the install of a VFE V3 Supercharger on my 2001 330cic.
The install wasn't bad, but there were a few parts that were a PITA.
The instructions got the job done, but they were far from good, missed a lot of things that I just had to figure out, pictures weren't good, custom things I had to do that weren't mentioned, and more. For something so expensive, that's pretty terrible, especially since it's so easy for the company to fix, but they just don't take the time to provide that service to their customer.

Dealing with VFE was ok. They were very nice & helpful because I had to swap some parts. Sending & receiving the ecu was easy & they were kind enough to call me prior to sending back to discuss how my engine mods would/wouldn't work with the kit. The only down side is that I emailed them a couple times a week ago, having the car complete & ready to go except I needed to swap the pulley from one sized for an automatic to a manual. I still haven't gotten a reply. That was frustrating as I was anxious to drive the car.

The instructions don't mention anything about how the oem headlight ballast gets in the way. I used to have the m3 mount so my dinan cai fit. It was in the way, so I put it back in the stock location, only to find out that didn't fit either. I ended up putting it back where the m3 mount went, but had to do some custom work to make it fit.

Questions and issues:

- even with the power steering resivior relocation bracket, it didn't really fit. It's so tightly fit the corner is scratching the hell out of the intake manifold, so I dremeled the corner down a bit. It still sits too tall and touches my cf hood.

- the power steering resivior completely covers any access to the supercharger oil dipstick.

Is there a solution to both of those issues?

I also blew the valve cover gasket already, so that has to be replaced. Is there any FI tips when replacing it to strengthen things to accommodate the sc?

Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#5 ·
I honestly don't understand how some companies write their instructions/appoint their people.

All should take example from Bensian systems. Those are properly ordered instructions.
Some of the DIY's here are in a higher league than most manuals I've read, its really sad.

#6 · (Edited)
I totally dig the VFE V3 kit wish they up the stage and psi...

If your mechanically inclined you wont need it...

#10 ·
And where does this professional get his torque specs, manufacturer specifc maintenance schedule, and list of warranty limitations?

This is exactly why companies like ST are given the opportunity to extort customers, refusing warranty work if they claim unmodified coilovers ran on too low of a setting.

#11 · (Edited)
I would hate to sell you a F/I if u was ever in the market...:lmao: Sounds like you want HIGH Dollar stuff for a small budget.

#15 ·
Questions and issues:

- even with the power steering resivior relocation bracket, it didn't really fit. It's so tightly fit the corner is scratching the hell out of the intake manifold, so I dremeled the corner down a bit. It still sits too tall and touches my cf hood.

- the power steering resivior completely covers any access to the supercharger oil dipstick.

Is there a solution to both of those issues?

I also blew the valve cover gasket already, so that has to be replaced. Is there any FI tips when replacing it to strengthen things to accommodate the sc?

Thanks everyone!
Power steering res is a tight fit. I have to unbolt it to check the dipstick. Not that big a deal to me...

#18 ·
Yeah, unbolting to get to dipstick isn't that big of a deal i guess. I'm more concerned that it's scratching my Vorstiener hood since it touches, so i put a piece of dynamat on the reservoir lid for now until i find another solution.

I thought i remembered seeing a company that makes a replacement part for this to solve this... Like a shorter revoir or something. Either that or I'll move it to the passenger side since i don't have a washer fluid tank anyway.

This will get quieter over time.

Really? I hope so. I thought maybe it was loud because it was low on sc oil, but the dipstick showed normal level. I guess I'll just have to hope & wait & see. Thanks for the replies!

My FS thread is not relevant from my s/c install. These are parts I have laying around the house.

-Trip

BTW: Sorry OP for getting this OT...
No worries

#22 ·
I second that those installation instructions were garbage.

-The instructions had pictures of a non-M engine bay in one frame, and then switch to an M3 engine bay in the next.
-They give you arrows on where the stock power steering reservoir bracket goes, but not where the new one goes.
-They say you need to cut a hose, but not where on the hose you need to cut it.
-The parts and instructions varied.
etc...

#37 ·
Thanks! It's been crazy with this car. Put up for sale, decided to keep it but un-mod it, put parts up for sale, now supercharged and keeping all the parts :rofl:

Why are you still searching for FI? Did you decide not to do the ess kit? I remember you mentioning something about getting a sponsorship and going twinscrew?

#39 ·
Does anyone know if/how a HKS SSQV BOV can fit this VFE Supercharger kit I have on my 330?

After a lot of searching and reading, all the threads discuss how to install this on either active of vf kits, but only on M3s, which apparently have 2 pressure release valves in their kits. I wasn't able to find any examples of this on a 330. Thanks for any help! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.