E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Finally joined FI. Initial thoughts & questions

Hi FI forum! I'm glad to finally join in. I just finished the install of a VFE V3 Supercharger on my 2001 330cic.
The install wasn't bad, but there were a few parts that were a PITA.
The instructions got the job done, but they were far from good, missed a lot of things that I just had to figure out, pictures weren't good, custom things I had to do that weren't mentioned, and more. For something so expensive, that's pretty terrible, especially since it's so easy for the company to fix, but they just don't take the time to provide that service to their customer.

Dealing with VFE was ok. They were very nice & helpful because I had to swap some parts. Sending & receiving the ecu was easy & they were kind enough to call me prior to sending back to discuss how my engine mods would/wouldn't work with the kit. The only down side is that I emailed them a couple times a week ago, having the car complete & ready to go except I needed to swap the pulley from one sized for an automatic to a manual. I still haven't gotten a reply. That was frustrating as I was anxious to drive the car.

The instructions don't mention anything about how the oem headlight ballast gets in the way. I used to have the m3 mount so my dinan cai fit. It was in the way, so I put it back in the stock location, only to find out that didn't fit either. I ended up putting it back where the m3 mount went, but had to do some custom work to make it fit.

Questions and issues:

- even with the power steering resivior relocation bracket, it didn't really fit. It's so tightly fit the corner is scratching the hell out of the intake manifold, so I dremeled the corner down a bit. It still sits too tall and touches my cf hood.

- the power steering resivior completely covers any access to the supercharger oil dipstick.

Is there a solution to both of those issues?

I also blew the valve cover gasket already, so that has to be replaced. Is there any FI tips when replacing it to strengthen things to accommodate the sc?

Thanks everyone!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
TKC

Oh, forgot this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1351964795388.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	476580  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
TKC

Oh, and at idle, this vortech unit rattles like crazy....
Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
r e s t l e s s

My Ride: 02 E46 M3
Hey bro random question what front lip are you running?
r e s t l e s s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
I honestly don't understand how some companies write their instructions/appoint their people.

All should take example from Bensian systems. Those are properly ordered instructions.
Some of the DIY's here are in a higher league than most manuals I've read, its really sad.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
I totally dig the VFE V3 kit wish they up the stage and psi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
I honestly don't understand how some companies write their instructions/appoint their people.

All should take example from Bensian systems. Those are properly ordered instructions.
Some of the DIY's here are in a higher league than most manuals I've read, its really sad.
If your mechanically inclined you wont need it...

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 11-04-2012 at 01:22 AM.
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
I totally dig the VFE V3 kit wish they up the stage and psi...

Yes, u can complete it with the instructions the way they are, but it would just save so much time and be of better service for their clients if they were better.

But yes, I wish they would up the stage, psi, and add a fmic.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
ac_2007

Quote:
Old 11-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
TrippinBimmer

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Even with instruction some people don't need to be installing S/C. That is why most F/I instruction are vague. To overwhelm the client to get a professional to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Yes, u can complete it with the instructions the way they are, but it would just save so much time and be of better service for their clients if they were better.

But yes, I wish they would up the stage, psi, and add a fmic.
Fo sho. Let us know how it goes. Did you install a AFR?

-Trip

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 11-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
ac_2007

And where does this professional get his torque specs, manufacturer specifc maintenance schedule, and list of warranty limitations?

This is exactly why companies like ST are given the opportunity to extort customers, refusing warranty work if they claim unmodified coilovers ran on too low of a setting.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
And where does this professional get his torque specs, manufacturer specifc maintenance schedule, and list of warranty limitations?

This is exactly why companies like ST are given the opportunity to extort customers, refusing warranty work if they claim unmodified coilovers ran on too low of a setting.
I would hate to sell you a F/I if u was ever in the market... Sounds like you want HIGH Dollar stuff for a small budget.

Last edited by TrippinBimmer; 11-04-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Hi FI forum! I'm glad to finally join in. I just finished the install of a VFE V3 Supercharger on my 2001 330cic.
The install wasn't bad, but there were a few parts that were a PITA.
The instructions got the job done, but they were far from good, missed a lot of things that I just had to figure out, pictures weren't good, custom things I had to do that weren't mentioned, and more. For something so expensive, that's pretty terrible, especially since it's so easy for the company to fix, but they just don't take the time to provide that service to their customer.

Dealing with VFE was ok. They were very nice & helpful because I had to swap some parts. Sending & receiving the ecu was easy & they were kind enough to call me prior to sending back to discuss how my engine mods would/wouldn't work with the kit. The only down side is that I emailed them a couple times a week ago, having the car complete & ready to go except I needed to swap the pulley from one sized for an automatic to a manual. I still haven't gotten a reply. That was frustrating as I was anxious to drive the car.

The instructions don't mention anything about how the oem headlight ballast gets in the way. I used to have the m3 mount so my dinan cai fit. It was in the way, so I put it back in the stock location, only to find out that didn't fit either. I ended up putting it back where the m3 mount went, but had to do some custom work to make it fit.

Questions and issues:

- even with the power steering resivior relocation bracket, it didn't really fit. It's so tightly fit the corner is scratching the hell out of the intake manifold, so I dremeled the corner down a bit. It still sits too tall and touches my cf hood.

- the power steering resivior completely covers any access to the supercharger oil dipstick.

I also blew the valve cover gasket already, so that has to be replaced. Is there any FI tips when replacing it to strengthen things to accommodate the sc?

Thanks everyone!
In my mind. If you blew your valve cover gasket.....something is wrong.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 11-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
I would hate to sell you a F/I if u was ever in the market... Sounds like you want HIGH Dollar stuff for a small budget.
You got a sh!tty kit for a high dollar price, I feel for you more. No hard feelings, I see all your FS threads 3 different injectors for sale, etc... How much did AA pay you, to you R&D their product? Why are you selling so many parts? From all your FS threads, sounds like you replaced a lot of things you didn't need to.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
ac_2007

Quote:
Actually, it sounds more like you don't understand the concept of getting what you rightly paid for.

The solution is to throw money at the problem, am I right assuming this is how you cope with your issues?

Last edited by ac_2007; 11-04-2012 at 05:39 PM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:

Questions and issues:

Thanks everyone!
Power steering res is a tight fit. I have to unbolt it to check the dipstick. Not that big a deal to me...

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Quote:
Oh, and at idle, this vortech unit rattles like crazy....
This will get quieter over time.

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
You got a sh!tty kit for a high dollar price, I feel for you more. No hard feelings, I see all your FS threads 3 different injectors for sale, etc... How much did AA pay you, to you R&D their product? Why are you selling so many parts? From all your FS threads, sounds like you replaced a lot of things you didn't need to.
My FS thread is not relevant from my s/c install. These are parts I have laying around the house.

-Trip

BTW: Sorry OP for getting this OT...
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
Power steering res is a tight fit. I have to unbolt it to check the dipstick. Not that big a deal to me...
Yeah, unbolting to get to dipstick isn't that big of a deal i guess. I'm more concerned that it's scratching my Vorstiener hood since it touches, so i put a piece of dynamat on the reservoir lid for now until i find another solution.

I thought i remembered seeing a company that makes a replacement part for this to solve this... Like a shorter revoir or something. Either that or I'll move it to the passenger side since i don't have a washer fluid tank anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
This will get quieter over time.

Really? I hope so. I thought maybe it was loud because it was low on sc oil, but the dipstick showed normal level. I guess I'll just have to hope & wait & see. Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
My FS thread is not relevant from my s/c install. These are parts I have laying around the house.

-Trip

BTW: Sorry OP for getting this OT...
No worries
Old 11-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
TKC

Quote:
Did you install a AFR?

-Trip

Not yet... Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
In my mind. If you blew your valve cover gasket.....something is wrong.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Plumbing is pretty straight forward so i don't think i did anything wrong. I'm hoping it's because I've never replaced the vcg on my car so it was old. It wasn't like seriously blown, but at the front, around the vanos area and above the front heat shield, i can see where the fresh oil leaked out after a drive. The only reason i knew was cause i smelled it burning when i turned on hvac while driving.
I got the parts to do vanos sealed while I'm at it, so the car should feel better after all that.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
TrippinBimmer

Quote:
Not yet... Suggestions?
LC-1 is what I am using at the moment in Both cars (e30 and e46)

-Trip