E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Design small flange that goes around the perimeter of the vents on the underside of the hood, you may want this anyway just for rigidity. Design a black ABS plastic cover with 3 or 4 barbed tabs that latch onto this flange hold it in place; you could send the design off to an injection molder and probably get them for like $20 each. Use some adhesive backed foam strip on the cover to seal out water and prevent marring or rattling.

add huge HPF markup and BAM! $300 seal able vent option that people would buy just to keep pollen and little drops of water off the top of their engine.
Less than 200usd please. The hood will be expensive enough. If the cover is designed to be fast and easy to put on, then I imagine more than 50% of hood buyers would also buy a removable cover(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
People need to ask why Vorsteiner stopped making the GTR hood.

My guess is that the demographic of M3 owners has changed, and that "current" M3 owners don't see value in a $2000 hood. A person that can afford to buy a $55k car is going to have a different disposable income versus a person that can afford to buy a $25k car.

My personal view on this is that HPF needs to decide what THEY want out of designing and selling their own hood. Do they want to make a market statement with a functional design? Do they want to adapt to general market consensus to sell volume?

If I was managing this project, I would probably bring in a big name aero guy like Andrew Brilliant to do both. Chris...he's worth calling.
You bring up VERY interesting points. I hear you.

Last edited by Bdave; 11-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote