E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #81
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
This thread is getting entertaining

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #82
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
If you're only putting 2k into the suspension then you're doing it wrong. Also, Lotus cars have open differentials, so you'll have lots of fun with that.

If the corvette is too tail happy then you're driving it wrong.

I don't consider the 370z to be a [very good] drivers car.

You must have never driven an exotic.
I was referring to the zo6/zr1

And yes I have driven an exotic, many in fact. My friend owns a dealership that sells them and many of my friends own them.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #83
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
It's still going wide open in 2nd gear around some cones in front of a Walmart to me...not significant. You don't see BMW testing their new or project cars in a parking lot with cones. If they had that in mind your z4m would have come with unbearably stiff suspension and a gearbox with only reverse, 1st and 2nd gear.

Last I checked the vette has 50/50 weight distribution, and of course driver is a major factor, your car is easy to drive compared to a vette because it has as much torque as a sport bike in comparison to the vette. More power =/= more skill to utilize its potential.
Have you visited BMW in Spartansburg?

The Z4M has stiff suspension for stock...progessive springs going 250 ftlbs in the front and 450 ftlbs in the rear...fairly stiff.

Having a car where you literally sit on the rear wheels is different to drive than a vette. It can tank slap, but yes it is very predictable

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
Old 11-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #84
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
Have you visited BMW in Spartansburg?

The Z4M has stiff suspension for stock...progessive springs going 250 ftlbs in the front and 450 ftlbs in the rear...fairly stiff.

Having a car where you literally sit on the rear wheels is different to drive than a vette. It can tank slap, but yes it is very predictable

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
The Z4 coupe is on my short list. I'll definitely drive one before I make my next purchase.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #85
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
The Z4 coupe is on my short list. I'll definitely drive one before I make my next purchase.
Do it...you'll be hard pressed to want to keep either of your current cars.
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #86
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #87
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
FWIW I didn't fall in love with the M Coupe I drove. I thought it was too good. I like cars that screw up occasionally.

Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #88
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Coming from someone who owns an Elise and considering your "needs" it's not the car for you. Other than curb appeal, it will not impress your friends.

It's slow, the cabin is loud, rattles every where, roof leaks soft/hard (even warns you in the manual) no interior, no A/C (it's there for looks) radio is complete ****, the car is anything but classy. It's a no BS drivers car.

All that being said, I love the hell out of it.
Actually, my AC works pretty well.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #89
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD007 View Post
Actually, my AC works pretty well.
Did you do the SirLotus mods or are you one of the lucky ones?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #90
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by broey v View Post
actually my top consideration.
Slow as hell on the street, uncomfortable, look like a jackass getting in/out of it, and worst of all, king of the posers. It is a dedicated track car. Having one on the street is pretty dumb.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #91
NFRs2000nyc

If you want a true go cart feel on the street the only cars are a miata, an s2000, and a boxter. The s2000 is the best to drive due to the transmission. 400whp are commonplace these days with bulletproof reliability and excellent resale. Go drive one. A boosted s2000 is quite an upgrade from a z3. One of our local guys owns both and tells us that even with 10k in suspension work, it's not even close. A 400-500whp s2k would put a bigger grin on your face then any car mentioned here, and it's nice to know that you won't be in the shop every 3 days.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #92
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
If you want a true go cart feel on the street the only cars are a miata, an s2000, and a boxter. The s2000 is the best to drive due to the transmission. 400whp are commonplace these days with bulletproof reliability and excellent resale. Go drive one. A boosted s2000 is quite an upgrade from a z3. One of our local guys owns both and tells us that even with 10k in suspension work, it's not even close. A 400-500whp s2k would put a bigger grin on your face then any car mentioned here, and it's nice to know that you won't be in the shop every 3 days.
I had an S2000 (remember seeing your username on S2Ki) and to this day it is still one of my favorite cars that I have owned. I still refer this car to anyone I meet who might be interested in buying an Elise or any sports car for that matter. However, I don't think it is as fun as the Elise, but at least it doesn't give up any creature comforts to do be as awesome as it is. I do have to disagree that it is "King of all Poser cars and doesn't belong on the street" though. Just because it excells on the track doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to enjoy on the street.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #93
NFRs2000nyc

Friend of mine has a supercharged Elise. It is probably the worst car I have ever driven on the street. It is loud as all hell engine noise, tire roar, potholes seem like craters, bumps feel like offroading in Moab, etc. Again, an incredible machine but on the street it sucks in every single way. I'd look at an Evora but I don't think that's in the budget and having driven one, it lacks the go cart feel (as does the s2000s big brother, the NSX .)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #94
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
Did you do the SirLotus mods or are you one of the lucky ones?
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. But, unfortunately I might have the messed up steering rack since I can feel some clunk/feedback on bumps. I haven't got around to checking all the bolts in the suspension. I've lived with it for the past 7 yrs anyways.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #95
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If you like your car, keep it. No reason to run out and buy a car just because someone else (guessing your friends) doesn't like it or thinks that it doesn't have as much "status" as their car that they are probably paying for every month.

Buy what you like and enjoy it for you, not someone else.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #96
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Friend of mine has a supercharged Elise. It is probably the worst car I have ever driven on the street. It is loud as all hell engine noise, tire roar, potholes seem like craters, bumps feel like offroading in Moab, etc. Again, an incredible machine but on the street it sucks in every single way. I'd look at an Evora but I don't think that's in the budget and having driven one, it lacks the go cart feel (as does the s2000s big brother, the NSX .)
Haha, I definately understand what you are saying, I said it earlier in the thread as well, but then again that's what I love about it. There is a thread currently on Lotustalk in the Elise section titled "Is the Elise really that loud?" and everyone says the same thing.

MCD007:
As from the steering clunk, that's another common issue. But seeing as you have had the car for 7 years, you probably know alot more than I do.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #97
Grande D

Quote:
Maybe second gen. I didn't find the first generation Boxster appealing at all.

Also, having owned both, the AP1 is the more involving car. No TC, slightly stiffer suspension, and an extra 1000rpm.

Late AP2s had stability control, more torque, and a slightly softer suspension.

The AP2s do look better, although that's mostly about the wheels.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #98
spiffman

My Ride: 12 Daytona 07 F800S
Send a message via AIM to spiffman
NSX. NSX. NSX.

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
LoveClub Member #23

Last edited by spiffman; 11-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.
spiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #99
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
The AP2s do look better, although that's mostly about the wheels.
and the bumpers and the headlights and the seats.

People pay big money for AP2 headlights and bumpers...
Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #100
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
and the bumpers and the headlights and the seats.

People pay big money for AP2 headlights and bumpers...
I said mostly the wheels. The bumpers are nice, but you really need the exhaust to go with the rear muffler and I don't think it's worth it.

I think the AP2 lights make the car look a bit more masculine too, but the headlights don't perform quite as well.

And I wouldn't trade that 1k rpm for any of it.