E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Mtuch

My Ride: 325is
PSS10s vs KW V2 E46 coilover reviews:

Hey everyone,
I am interested to upgrade my suspension in my 325ci and love to feel connected to the road dont mind it to be a little firm, but still retain ride quality. I have limited it to PSS10s and KW V2s because they both adjustable dampering. I am open to other options just would like to hear some opinions on each.

Thanks
Mtuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Haven't heard much positive buzz about the Bilsteins on BMWs. I would be looking at KW v3s or AST 4100/4200 if you're wanting a high-end coilover setup.

For 90% of users, a good damper/spring combo will be most of the handling "feel" at a greatly reduced cost. No need for trackworthy coilovers on a DD imo.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Mtuch

I have never heard anything bad about the Bilsteins only good things? and I understand that but from my experience there is just a feeling of disconnection when its not a coilover system designed to work perfect as one. Idk if its just me but that's how I feel, if I'm going to get something I'm going to do it right.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtuch View Post
Hey everyone,
I am interested to upgrade my suspension in my 325ci and love to feel connected to the road dont mind it to be a little firm, but still retain ride quality. I have limited it to PSS10s and KW V2s because they both adjustable dampering. I am open to other options just would like to hear some opinions on each.

Thanks
What's your budget?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
Mtuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
What's your budget?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Haven't heard much positive buzz about the Bilsteins on BMWs. I would be looking at KW v3s or AST 4100/4200 if you're wanting a high-end coilover setup.

For 90% of users, a good damper/spring combo will be most of the handling "feel" at a greatly reduced cost. No need for trackworthy coilovers on a DD imo.
agreed. You're looking at a large chunk of the car's value on those coilovers. You can get a great setup for a lot less going with a set of springs, shocks, and sway bars.

It's your money, though. Don't let us old farts tell you how to spend it.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
I've heard that the PSS10's ride great. I would reccomend them, and get some sway bars too. You'll be golden.

I have KW V2's on my M3. With the original springs the ride was not great. "connected to the road" is one way to say... very stiff.

Now I have linear rate springs which are approaching race stiffness. I would consider the ride "bad".
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Andy2108

I had these sways on my 330 and they were pretty awesome. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-10...y-bar-set.aspx
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Mtuch

Haha I know I just want want to do it right. What would be the best spring strut combo? I am not opposed but just would really rather an adjustable coilover.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
jerseyfresh

My Ride: is schwartzed out
Unless your car is going to live on a track, you don't need PSS10's...

I have the basic Bilstein PSS kit, and it does everything I need as far as giving enough adjustability to handle plus sized wheels and my drop...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
^^^Directed @Kpeng^^^
jerseyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Andy2108

The Eibach pro-kit springs and Koni FSD dampers were pretty much made for each other. They're a good option too, but they're less aggressive than a coilover kit.

Seriously, Go PSS10's w/ Turner sways and never look back.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I'll second this: Seriously, Go PSS10's w/ Turner sways and never look back.

I have that setup and love it. I can adjust the struts/shocks to softer than the original or to much firmer.
A setting of about 2/3 is about equal to the original suspension (struts/shocks) when new. I normally run 6-8 for track sessions.
shanneba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Andy2108

the sways are adjustable too, but leave them in the soft or in between setting unless you want to be a tokyo drift star. (there are two holes on each end. you can out one endlink in stiff and one in soft.)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
cvessup

My Ride: 325ci
Im in need of help. im currently on set of racelands and need to move one asap. my problem is i live in new york city meaning the roads here are so bad. but i work in upstate so once im in the high way its all great and i go over the speed limit. like about 50 miles over lol(no cops on that highway i swear). so the point im trying to put out is i need something that does not feel like crap because the city roads suks but feel still stiff enough so i don't lose control. budget is about 2K OR LESS. please help
cvessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
cuprafenix

My Ride: BMW e46 320cd
I fitted my V2's two weeks ago and i must say that the ride quality is very good.

My front coils are lowered to the max and the car is still more confortable than with the H&R sport springs I had previously.

But bilstein is bilstein...
cuprafenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyfresh View Post
Unless your car is going to live on a track, you don't need PSS10's...

I have the basic Bilstein PSS kit, and it does everything I need as far as giving enough adjustability to handle plus sized wheels and my drop...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
If you bought the PSS10's for heavy track use then you're doing it wrong. If you want something that's less aggressive than the PSS10's, then see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
The Eibach pro-kit springs and Koni FSD dampers were pretty much made for each other. They're a good option too, but they're less aggressive than a coilover kit.

Seriously, Go PSS10's w/ Turner sways and never look back.