E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
aioros

My Ride: 2001 330xi auto
Struts

I've been trying to replace the struts on the wife's car. I ordered the shocks and struts from an online vendor. The shocks fit fine but the struts were different. I returned those and ordered from Pelican Parts, but even those were wrong. The part #'s match but not the part itself, look
01 330xi

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352123429748.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	476850   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352123446539.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	476851   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352123458292.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	476852  
aioros is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Return all of them and get a set of Bilsteins or Koni's for the xi.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
bimrdreamr

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I just had the exact same situation. I quite frankly was and still am pretty ticked off. I ended up having them send me the Bilstein HDs for the front. THe Bilsteins worked out great, but I seriously question whether or not I will buy from Pelican again. I was told they would contact the vendor and get me an answer back....didn't happen. Only "hey...the Bilsteins will be better, but oh yeah they cost more too". I gave a bad customer survey in response thinking perhaps they would call to make it right. Guess I was might WRONG! Pelican Parts.....you FAILED!!!!!
bimrdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
If the Bilsteins cost more, you ordered the wrong shocks/struts. They should be the cheapest option for a suspension rebuild.

Don't cheap out on these parts, they tend to be quite important.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
bimrdreamr

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Sam I ordered the OEM struts which is exactly aioros showed in the picture. The exact part number for the vehicle. Oh well...learning experience.
bimrdreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimrdreamr View Post
I just had the exact same situation. I quite frankly was and still am pretty ticked off. I ended up having them send me the Bilstein HDs for the front. THe Bilsteins worked out great, but I seriously question whether or not I will buy from Pelican again. I was told they would contact the vendor and get me an answer back....didn't happen. Only "hey...the Bilsteins will be better, but oh yeah they cost more too". I gave a bad customer survey in response thinking perhaps they would call to make it right. Guess I was might WRONG! Pelican Parts.....you FAILED!!!!!
I love Pelican. Never had an issue though. Bavauto always had the cheapest bilsteins though.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Sam I ordered the OEM struts which is exactly aioros showed in the picture. The exact part number for the vehicle. Oh well...learning experience.
Delphi (the name in your pictures) isn't the OEM manufacturer so you didn't order the OEM parts. The correct manufacturer is Sachs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I love Pelican. Never had an issue though. Bavauto always had the cheapest bilsteins though.
Agreed, Pelican has been nothing short of fantastic. I use them for just about everything since they always have the cheapest prices on quality parts. You just have to know what you want.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
winston330xi

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330xi
Quote:
I was about to purchase these from pelican as well until I read from their review, it stated that it did not fit and looked entirely different. This thread just confirmed it for me, thanks.

I guess bilstein or koni is the only option other than OEM sachs.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Kubica

Bilstein HD xi struts/bilstein e36 m3 shocks/eibach springs. Just do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Bilstein HD xi struts/bilstein e36 m3 shocks/eibach springs. Just do it.
or, OR H&R Coilovers

Last edited by redbull 325is; 11-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote