E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Angel Eye Queston

Interested in purchasing, however, is spending an extra $30 for a lifetime warranty worth it? http://www.umnitza.com/orion-lite-60...es-p-5686.html

Does anyone own these personally? If so, pros and cons?
trentcdrums is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
no
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Yes.

The angel eyes I had on my last e46 (they were Weisslicht's), one of them would flicker from time to time, and 3 of the LEDs inside of it were burnt out.

Next time I buy A/Es, I'm not going with Weisslicht's. They're not selling them anymore from what I can tell, there was such minimal interest after a while.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
Charl_323

My Ride: 323ci
my experience with angel eyes was very poor visibility. i wasted that money as i had to go and buy new ones from bmw. looks good but it ends there.
Charl_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Racca

My Ride: E46 M3
Don't go with Umnitza if for an E46. They sell you a "generic" kit and it doesn't fit worth a crap. The ring for the DRL/flasher headlight is too small. I remember seeing a brand that was a bit more but had a custom fit for us. I can send you a picture of what they look like if you want.
Racca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racca View Post
Don't go with Umnitza if for an E46. They sell you a "generic" kit and it doesn't fit worth a crap. The ring for the DRL/flasher headlight is too small. I remember seeing a brand that was a bit more but had a custom fit for us. I can send you a picture of what they look like if you want.
Please show. I'm glad I know that now.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
I'd second go with another brand. While the Umnitza angel eyes look to be good hardware, and they are bright and an alternative to daytime running lights, they don't fit halogen lights well, and only came in one ring size when I bought them. You can actually see them getting in the way of the lights at night. Qualitatively, while they are bright (good in daytime), they look odd against the halogen lights at night. I think umnitza sells a lower intensity version now, however, I would still look elsewhere for a set that actually fits, especially if you have halogen lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	477014  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Sweet. Another angel eyes thread.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
I went with umnitza do they fit completely around the halogen bowls? No, do I care? No. There the brightest and super good quality and when there on you can't tell which why you get angel eyes is to have them on. I have not had one person tell me they look wierd or look too small you can't really notice unless your face is completly in my headlights.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Sweet. Another angel eyes thread.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
I'd second go with another brand. While the Umnitza angel eyes look to be good hardware, and they are bright and an alternative to daytime running lights, they don't fit halogen lights well, and only came in one ring size when I bought them. You can actually see them getting in the way of the lights at night. Qualitatively, while they are bright (good in daytime), they look odd against the halogen lights at night. I think umnitza sells a lower intensity version now, however, I would still look elsewhere for a set that actually fits, especially if you have halogen lights.
Well I'm glad I have xenon then thanks!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Well I'm glad I have xenon then thanks!
But you also have a halogen high beam
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
There is nothing better quality or brighter than the Orion V2 or the Orion V4.
You can go for a less expensive Orion Lite (we can even do offset sizes, but the problems with oversized rings has been discussed ad naseum on this forum).

Below is a response posted a few months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Answering the same question and comment for the 10000th time is not fun, but since you probably haven't been around long enough to see the last 4 years of responses, this post should help you out. If you need any more examples, please visit the Orion Photos thread. I'm sure you'll find some more cut off photos there, but from dead ahead, none of the Orions look cut off, while oversized rings do, see below for more detail...

Posted from another forum - way back when.
--------

Ring installation is a big factor in how the rings look. If your headlights are adjusted to low or too high or too far to the right or left, rings that are too big or designed to contour the way the reflector bowls work are nothing short of poor design. When the headlight is adjusted +/- a few degrees off center, an oversized ring will disappear either below the trailing edge of the trim pieces of the varying headlights. That is to say, our rings are designed to fit:
1) Bosch/AL Halogen/Xenon/Bixenon
2) ZKW Halogen/Bixenon
3) Aftermarket DEPO
4) Auto Leveling and non-Auto-Leveling
5) All variations of lights in between.

Let me explain to you why. Rings are not easy to build. You need to pay for molds, injection machines, manufacturing, etc. We are the ONLY company that has taken the necessary steps to actually engineer our rings from ground up since we have been doing this longer than nearly everyone except BMW. Everyone except us buys these rings knocked off in China, with poor manufacturing (we've seen all the knock off rings, including the latest that are designed to look like ours). The others didn't pay for any molds, they just asked the nearest "cheapo" Chinese factory to knock it off for them.

Here are the key differences that ours have that even the "Orion knock off" doesn't have - without going into very specific details or the competitors may actually pull off a duplicate instead of a knock off.
1) high polish acrylic ring - the competitors on ebay and elsewhere have dead acrylic that is not high quality GE Polymer based.
2) hardened acrylic ring - the competitors use a softer less durable compound to "cut costs"
3) high output wide band Led -the competitors use a narrow, slightly lower output band of LED - designed to "last longer despite board design drawbacks"
4) high tensile strength clips - this is part of the way hardened acrylic works, it removes "memory loss" over time for Orion rings, while competitors use cheap soft plastic clips that fail or need to be glued in place.
5) sealed solder points - competitors use exposed solder points.

There are many other points to make regarding our regulation boxes, our quality construction, are indestructibility, etc. But those 5 points define why you should never settle for cheaper (not less expensive but CHEAPER) quality even if it's only $10-50 less.

This is what our product is capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/umnitza#p/u/7/4j3vAz-4Gcs

So, let's speak of your fitment!
This is our product compared. Perfect fitment, while the other rings are "cut off" - this is proper installation with headlights adjusted at the same angles on both sides.

Our Chromiums were actually oversized a little, note how they dip below a properly adjusted headlight into the trim.

CCFL vs Orion V2

And now, for the perfect fitting Orion V2

And this is what happens when the rings are too big.
Now, you may not want to buy the parts from umnitza, that's your prerogative, but our parts are faultless for this product. Everything has been factored into this product and even now 4 years after introduction, it remains one of the most if not the most reliable lighting product on the market.

We hope you choose the Orion V2 as thousands upon thousands of others have, you will never be disappointed by them.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Buy them if you like them.
I have the same set(generic orion lites). Fitment is not so great on the halogen bowls.
Warranty is good if you really like them and plan to keep them forever. I say this because I have the same set and some LEDs went kaput. I didnt opt for lifetime warranty.
One thing about umnitza is they stand behind their product and warranty. Tim from umnitza, gave me an option to replace the rings or repair it myself after the LEDs went bad in 5 months. I repaired it myself the first time, but when the LEDs went out again the second time (in 10 months) I got them replaced. Umnitza sent me the upgraded set as replacement which I feel are of better quality. By this time I already upgraded to OEM bixenon bowls and they sent me the ones for bixenons(said for). Still the rings for both bowls(high and low) are of same size. You have to play around with the aiming of the bowls to get it right(taking care that you dont blind the traffic coming towards you).

Angel eyes never came standard with e46, so its a personal opinion whether it looks right or not. I just use it as my DRLs and feel it weird not to have them ON. If this set goes bad, I am going to remove them completely and code my car back to standard DRLs.

If warranty is what you are concerned for, I can vouch for their outstanding customer service I got. I got response to my emails within 20 minutes, and I got the new rings in 4 days(from the day I started the conversation to the day I received the new rings).
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
But you also have a halogen high beam
So what now?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
So what now?
What would you suggest.?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Spend the extra and get V2s
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
THECLEANERBEAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Spend the extra and get V2s
+10 this. like i said they may not fit 100% flush around halogens but you still wont be disappointed with the quality and performance
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
+10 this. like i said they may not fit 100% flush around halogens but you still wont be disappointed with the quality and performance
I agree now. I think it will definitely be worth the money, especially with a lifetime warranty guaranteed on it. I really do like the looks on them.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
Racca

My Ride: E46 M3
See, poor fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1352336788.577018.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	477253  
Racca is offline   Reply With Quote