E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.77 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #281
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
why would you say that? i have the mods to back it up just need to get on a dyno
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #282
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
why would you say that? i have the mods to back it up just need to get on a dyno
I can't help but feel you are trolling me. Come on man
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #283
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
I hope to be making higher output m54b30 numbers with my m52tu28 when I get this thing dyno-tuned by Epic next time I have some money. Hoping for close to 220-225 when all is said and done. That being said, xixixi will definitely be making more especially on juice.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #284
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
I hope to be making higher output m54b30 numbers with my m52tu28 when I get this thing dyno-tuned by Epic next time I have some money. Hoping for close to 220-225 when all is said and done. That being said, xixixi will definitely be making more especially on juice.
You will make more than most m54b30's just not this one! You are a huge inspiration!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #285
jared_wiesner

Quote:
You will make more than most m54b30's just not this one! You are a huge inspiration!
Haha thanks xixixi, likewise. And no, there's no way I can compete with your displacement especially combined with nitrous. My problem is that I'm limited by the format that I use my car in, road course time trials. It means that right away nitrous is ruled out and forced induction will be a big hassle. The nice thing is that I can rely on the square bore/stroke of the 2.8L for longevity on the track. And when your car is designed to drop fractions of a second off each lap as you learn a track lap after lap, longevity is a major concern.

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-05-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #286
Steven747

Quote:
I can't help but feel you are trolling me. Come on man
delusional much?

any who jared cant wait to get on the rollers
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #287
jared_wiesner

Quote:
delusional much?

any who jared cant wait to get on the rollers
I hear ya, it's 150 an hour plus dyno time for tuning, so I'm going to have to start saving

Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #288
Steven747

Quote:
I hear ya, it's 150 an hour plus dyno time for tuning, so I'm going to have to start saving
hoping to go with oe tuning unless brenn tuning can pump out some more numbers on m54's.. they have been really into the n54 scene lately with some big numbers and getting into the bmw scene
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #289
jared_wiesner

Quote:
hoping to go with oe tuning unless brenn tuning can pump out some more numbers on m54's.. they have been really into the n54 scene lately with some big numbers and getting into the bmw scene
Just make sure your done modding before you spend the money on the dyno tune.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #290
stosh1

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
I saw your build on M3forums? and I have to say, IMPRESSIVE stuff.
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post

Is that with the EPIC Alpha N tune? That would explain the csl airbox...

Do you have a number on how power that airbox gained?
Nope, it is an Alpha-N tune, but it's tuned by my local tuner Frank Smith.

No, sorry, we never dyno'd with the motor work and factory airbox...if I had to guess, I'd say the CLS airbox/Alpha-N tune combo is worth about 15-20HP over a factory airbox/MAF set up.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #291
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh1 View Post
Nope, it is an Alpha-N tune, but it's tuned by my local tuner Frank Smith.

No, sorry, we never dyno'd with the motor work and factory airbox...if I had to guess, I'd say the CLS airbox/Alpha-N tune combo is worth about 15-20HP over a factory airbox/MAF set up.
And then there's the sound ...

What's your exhaust setup, by the way. Awesome numbers...

I would love to do interals/head work/cams and the csl intake eventually, but that's a long ways away. First I gotta figure out why I'm only dynoing 277whp with basically all the bolt ons possible. Next step is an EPIC tune.

Last edited by Andy2108; 11-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #292
xixixi
Banned User

I'm ready.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #293
stosh1

Quote:
And then there's the sound ...

What's your exhaust setup, by the way. Awesome numbers...

I would love to do interals/head work/cams and the csl intake eventually, but that's a long ways away. First I gotta figure out why I'm only dynoing 277whp with basically all the bolt ons possible. Next step is an EPIC tune.
Thanx! Nothing exotic at all...SGT (Swain Tech coated) headers, CRT catted/resonated Section I, SS Race unresonated Section II, SS Race muffler.

What are your exact mods & what type of dyno??? I only made 285HP w/full bolt-ons (pre-tune) on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Turned out that my car was running way rich (AFR's in the low 11's), and that it just needed to be re-tuned. Some cars can get away with certain mods and make decent power w/o a re-tune, and some can't. Certain aftermarket intakes can really wreak havoc w/the AFR's!

Also, all dyno's are not created equal & I've seen huge descrepencies from one dyno to the next, even seen large power shifts on the same dyno before.

Last edited by stosh1; 11-05-2012 at 09:42 PM.
stosh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #294
Steven747

Quote:
Just make sure your done modding before you spend the money on the dyno tune.
yup im done only thing i could use is a nice borla catback but which would make no difference on a dyno maybe 1 or 2 whp

i need new plugs and air filter and im set.

where does everyone get relatively inexpensive 3.5 inch air filters that fit the dinan long tube?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #295
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
yup im done only thing i could use is a nice borla catback but which would make no difference on a dyno maybe 1 or 2 whp

i need new plugs and air filter and im set.

where does everyone get relatively inexpensive 3.5 inch air filters that fit the dinan long tube?
siliconeintakes.com
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #296
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh1 View Post
Thanx! Nothing exotic at all...SGT (Swain Tech coated) headers, CRT catted/resonated Section I, SS Race unresonated Section II, SS Race muffler.

What are your exact mods & what type of dyno??? I only made 285HP w/full bolt-ons (pre-tune) on a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Turned out that my car was running way rich (AFR's in the low 11's), and that it just needed to be re-tuned. Some cars can get away with certain mods and make decent power w/o a re-tune, and some can't. Certain aftermarket intakes can really wreak havoc w/the AFR's!

Also, all dyno's are not created equal & I've seen huge descrepencies from one dyno to the next, even seen large power shifts on the same dyno before.
Dynojet. I'm not sure on its particular calibration because I was only doing baselines, but my cobra baselined a little lower than I expected. The day was pretty cold, maybe 55 F.

My MAF isn't shiny and new but I cleaned it THOROUGHLY right before leaving for the dyno.

aFe stage II CAI dry
Agency Power Gen 1 headers
Magnaflow Cat-Back (the wildcard)(sounds so damn good)
Evolve Power Pullies
Stock software I'm pretty sure
SPAL Electric fan
Single mass flywheel w/ lighter weight wheels, 4.10 gears, 4th gear pull

AFR's look pretty good to me, but they do seem a little more rich than some others. Looks like they approach 12 at the top end to me. Unfortunately I don't have the actual run files due to a little mix up at the shop.

A little history though.... once upon a time there was a 100 or 150 wet shot nitrous kit installed on my car... so I'm really hoping there's no "damage" from that

Last edited by Andy2108; 11-05-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #297
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
siliconeintakes.com
thanks

would those block airflow? looks like the housing would

Last edited by Steven747; 11-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #298
stosh1

Quote:
Dynojet. I'm not sure on its particular calibration because I was only doing baselines, but my cobra baselined a little lower than I expected. The day was pretty cold, maybe 55 F.

My MAF isn't shiny and new but I cleaned it THOROUGHLY right before leaving for the dyno.

aFe stage II CAI dry
Agency Power Gen 1 headers
Magnaflow Cat-Back (the wildcard)(sounds so damn good)
Evolve Power Pullies
Stock software I'm pretty sure
SPAL Electric fan
Single mass flywheel w/ lighter weight wheels, 4.10 gears, 4th gear pull

AFR's look pretty good to me, but they do seem a little more rich than some others. Looks like they approach 12 at the top end to me. Unfortunately I don't have the actual run files due to a little mix up at the shop.

A little history though.... once upon a time there was a 100 or 150 wet shot nitrous kit installed on my car... so I'm really hoping there's no "damage" from that.

Hmmm, yeah, your numbers do seem a bit on the low side w/those mods...as I would expect somewhere around 290ish w/o software. Your AFR #'s look decent as well, although the scaling makes it a little difficult to read, and certainly not off enough to cause any serious reduction in power. I'm sure that your car would still respond to software though w/more optimized ignition and cam timing values. Could also be a very low reading Dynojet...yes, they are out there!

Also, you might want to do a full compression/leakdown test just to confirm the general health of the motor.

Last edited by stosh1; 11-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.
stosh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #299
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
It's probably a combination of the engine pulling timing and needing a valve adjustment (espcially if you drive it a bit harder than most)
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #300
stosh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
It's probably a combination of the engine pulling timing and needing a valve adjustment (espcially if you drive it a bit harder than most)
Meh, could be, but the graph will usually spike a little bit (or a lot in some cases) when timing is being pulled and his curve looks pretty smooth. I believe that he also said that the temps were on the cool side, which would help fight off detonation/prevent timing from being pulled.

Tags
dyno, dynoed