E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Blackbetty

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci coupe
05 325ci traction control delete

I have a 325ci 5 speed and no mater what I do I can't turn off traction control is their any way to turn it off maybe buy a chip or something?
Blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Very very very very bad idea.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Blackbetty

Why is that lol?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Blackbetty

I'll take my chances still want to do it
Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
I bet op is less then 18
Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Blackbetty

If by op u mean me I'm actually 23 and can any one help me out with a knowledgeable answer instead of wasting my time like these Chodes!!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
You can disable the traction control and DSC by pushing and holding the DSC button until the DSC symbol and the yellow "Brake" light are illuminated. Obviously if the car is powered off it defaults to the enabled state.

You can permanently disable it by unplugging the yaw sensor below the driver's seat. You'll need to remove the seat and the door sill plate to do this, but it isn't hard.

Not recommended for a car that is street driven. The DSC is there to help save your butt if you get in over your head.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 11-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Blackbetty

Ok thanks for the help man
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
I only (and I think this is a wise move for anyone) turn off traction control when I'm tracking the car or when I'm focused on spirited driving on the street. Otherwise, if you are just cruising or your whole mind is not 100% focused on the task of driving and only driving, you should be driving with traction control on. It's not like you are getting anything out of having it turned off if you aren't driving it hard and it can save your butt if you hit a slippery section of road when you don't expect it or if something else unexpected happens.

This is coming from a guy who tracks his car regularly.

It doesn't make sense to permanently disable it except on vehicle that only sees the track... otherwise turn it off on a case by case basis.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Blackbetty

No I don't track my car much prob once a month If I'm lucky I just didn't know if it was possible to turn it off unless it was permanent, I'm glad that it is possible to turn it of and on makes my life easier and alot more fun lol thanks again big help!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Turn that sucker off so that 2.5l and open differential can have some serious fun!

Enjoy your car
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
No I don't track my car much prob once a month If I'm lucky I just didn't know if it was possible to turn it off unless it was permanent, I'm glad that it is possible to turn it of and on makes my life easier and alot more fun lol thanks again big help!
Holy grammar for 23 year old....
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Skchamaa11

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
i dont see the point of it being off i almost took my car off a canyon when it was off
Old 11-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
did he ask for opinion or wether it is a good idea to turn it off? why is there always so much bullshit talking instead of helpfull answers
daniel_f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
SoloII///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
did he ask for opinion or wether it is a good idea to turn it off? why is there always so much bullshit talking instead of helpfull answers
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Someone had already explained how to disable it with a push of a button. Many of us just wanted to emphasize that it made no sense to permanently disable the system (Thats why BMW made a way to do so temporarily with a push of a button). The original question was how to delete traction control. Many were simply trying to help by guiding him to a simpler and more effective solution.

Last winter, (my friend who runs around at all times with his traction turned off because he thinks of it as a band-aid and an unnecessary nanny) was gently accelerating around a corner that turned out to be ice covered and smoked the back quarter of his car on a road sign. There's no doubt that with traction on he never would have lost it. He's a good driver, but you can't be switched on at all times to be ready for that sort of thing.

I track the car in the rain with the system turned on. Its faster that way.

The OP's question was answered and we were all simply providing additional insight to help make an informed decision, that is all.

Check out my band - The Marked

1999 BMW 328i (Daily Driver) - m54b30 intake manifold, ebay headers, Rebirth Motorsports CAI, Rogue Engineering underive pulleys, Epic Motorsports Remote Dyno Tune, Custom 3 inch exhaust with Burns Merge, Schrick 264/248 Cams
1967 Buick Skylark - 430 Buick Big Block Swap.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 11-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #18
Blackbetty

I just wanted to know if their was a way to turn it of bec when I pressed the button it didn't work I didn't know that u had to hold it and wait for another light to turn on that's all I wanted to know. I didn't want to permanently disable it I just didn't know my options, so thank you everyone for the helpful answers
Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
I just wanted to know if their was a way to turn it of bec when I pressed the button it didn't work I didn't know that u had to hold it and wait for another light to turn on that's all I wanted to know. I didn't want to permanently disable it I just didn't know my options, so thank you everyone for the helpful answers
You can disable DSC in 2 stages

Quick press - Traction Control disabled
Press and hold 5-10 secs - Electronic Brake Distribution disabled

In most cases the first press will let you spin your tires which is what I assume you're looking for. Disabling the 2nd stage will completely disable any stability assist and shouldn't make your wheels spin any more freely.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by jamex; 11-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #20
SoloII///M

Some of us grew up driving cars that didn't have traction control, stability control, ABS, well-tuned suspensions and good tires like we have today. Things are better today for sure. But ultimately, only one thing is responsible for how a car behaves on the road: the driver.

It's more than a little depressing that people today expect their cars to save them from themselves and their lack of driving ability.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 11-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.